Sunday, October 29, 2006

Forgivness for the person with no faith

Saying for the day: Forgive! It's the healthy thing to do.

Last week we looked at forgiveness as the expectation of God for those who believe in Christ.
Today I want to tell you why you should forgive even if you don’t believe in God.

Lets begin with the assumption that most people have.
They believe that forgiveness is for the one that gets forgiven.
Nonsense!
When I forgive somebody it doesn’t do a thing for them.
It doesn’t make them happier.
It doesn’t change their life.
It might even make them feel guilty and make them miserable.
This is so because if were fighting with somebody they really don’t care what we do or what we think.
Our forgiving them is not important to them.
They don’t even think they need to be forgiven.
Forgiveness is not for the forgiven.

The person that is helped by my forgiving is me.
I don’t have to be angry any more.
I don’t have to go over and over what they said or what they did.
My blood pressure can return to normal.
The stress on all parts of my body is eased.
My act of forgiveness makes my life better.
Think of how you felt the last time you were really mad at somebody.
The sooner we forgive the sooner that ends.

If this is true why aren’t we quick to forgive?
There is a part of us that wants to punish the person who upset us.
There is a part of us that wants revenge.
If we let it that part of us overrides everything else.
Then , our friends are perverse enough to feed our anger.
It gets worse and worse.
We are miserable.
The people around us are miserable.

But we can control that part.
We can decide to forgive.
We can let go of what ever we were stewing over.
We can decide to set ourselves free.
Then we must do it.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my garage where the train still runs and there are all kinds of unsolved mysteries.– The New Potatoes played their last football game of the season. They lost. It gave them a perfect record of 7 loses and no wins. One cynic said the team needed a new cheer.” Are we going to win tonight? No!No!No! The coach felt bad he did his best but they didn’t have many kids come out for the team and those that did didn’t have a lot of talent. Of course the team name didn’t help any. Well there is always next year.
Eino is convinced that some government agency is involved in this Hermit Statue Mystery. He doesn’t think they are trying to solve it but in some way they caused it. But why would they do it? The answer again gives more questions.
Eino’s son Robert was home from college on the weekend and got together with some of the other s that graduated last spring. They have some kind of plan but even Eino doesn’t know what it is. But they all agreed to do something together on election day. Eino says if they write his name in he’ll decline the election and they need to know that.
Nancy says that Donna Bergall was in for her free cup of coffee and saffron bun and told another of her stories. This one was about a town with no government. It was a scary story fitting for the upcoming Halloween.
Tommy is wondering if on Halloween the dragon will fly. If he is a demon a s Mrs. Trumble says it is a fitting night. A night of ghosts , goblins, and flying dragons.
******

Today's Link: Pieces of Me-Remember to put the words Dr. John in your comment to get those comforting JCPOINTS. Check HERE for your totals.
For those who are concerned I found my teeth. They were soaking in their proper container in the back of a drawer in the kitchen. How they got there is a mystery but I have my suspicions.
I worked all morning on moving th echurch web page from Publisher 98 to Publisher 2000 since that's the version that is running in the church and I need to turn the web site over to the secretary when I leave. In the afternoon Betty and I worked in the garage . The last of the Pigeon Falls houses that were damaged in the big storm have been fixed and stored. Then Betty went Christmas shoppinng in the pile of catalogues we have. Well I need a bretahing treatment .
GBYA

17 Comments:

Blogger Kat Campbell said...

This cadidateless election is very exciting, I can't wait for election day to see what happens!

5:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad you found your teeth! Good subject...forgiveness. You are right..it is mainly for the one that is doing the forgiving. Whenever I think about the word forgive..I think about the Amish...

They truly understand what it means to forgive...

5:27 AM  
Blogger Oklahoma Girl said...

Good Sunday morning Dr John & Betty. Have a wonderfully blessed day. Glad you found your teeth. Your messages on forgiveness are just fabulous...& oh so true. Took me years to get the hang of this, but now well now forgiveness comes easily because I just don't need the negativity in my life unforgiveness causes. Thanks for the reminders. And I agree with Andrena...the Amish are the very best example of forgiveness. We can all take a lesson from them.


Blessed be...

PS Looking forward to Pigeon Falls' election as well as Halloween.

5:56 AM  
Blogger kristi said...

This is my downfall, I am so not a forgiver. I will seek forgiveness all day long but in the end I am too stubborn to forgive. I dwell on the past way too long making it hard to forgive. I think this is going to be my next task, to learn to forgive without being forgiven.

Thank You Dr. John for your words of wisdom today, I needed it

5:56 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Hi Dr John, How True
when people say "I cannot forgive, or I can forgive but not forget"

If only they new, it means nothing to the one who harmed or hurt them or their loved ones.

In forgiving & forgetting we are the better person in mind & body,
In not forgetting we are the sadder in body & soul

Hope you are having a fine Day
This Mighty Fine & Beautiful SunDay!

6:15 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

Your words on forgiveness are well said!! Much better than the sermon I heard in church today.
Maybe that was my fault. Was I really listening? Probably not or I would have gotten the point.

May God Bless you and all who read your Blog. I believe we are a fine congregation.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I'm glad you've found your teeth. So what was the first thing you bit into?

7:33 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

I so agree with you... and the older I get the less I tend to take offense about things, its just not worth it to go through the aggravation of it all. Its so much better to have friends than enemies. And I think as we get older we become much more tolerant.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

With your upcoming chance at the pulpit coming up, I think I would keep a close eye on those teeth! ---- just in case. :-)

10:28 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Dr. John, it took me a long time to forgive my ex-husband for his choices, but when I finally did, they no longer plagued me. I rarely think of him at all anymore, and when I do it is a passing thought free of anger or stress.

You know what else I found interesting? Until I forgave him for the bad things, I remembered very few of the good things. Now I have the pleasant memories back and the bad ones have no power to contradict them.

12:52 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

I wonder too..what did you eat when you found your teeth?
Forgiveness is such a wonderful gift that God gives us.
It took me 30 yrs to forgive the man who abused me as a child..Now I am free and he means nothing to me.I pray for him instead of hating him.
To be forgiven also brings enormous freedom.Jesus prayed for forgiveness for those who killed him.Its a powerful thing indeed:)
Breathe easy.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I did not put the teeth in the drawer although if I had been there, I probably would have!

1:29 PM  
Blogger starbender said...

yippee! U found U'r teeth! I'm so glad! Now U can have a steak!

Maybe they should run an ad in the hollywood enquirer for some worthless star 2 be the mayor.

;}

2:02 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

forgiveness is something i ask of God daily and is an opportunity i am given by others as much...it is time to walk the walk as they say..
*************
Eino smells a rat for there is one.
******************
shortest comment ever, i am drugged up to the gills. a bit of a hippcup on the road yesterday landed me in hospital..will let you know when i know what the heck happened..i have been looked after my mom and sis and Joe came over for a bit today too..no worries.

much love.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Sunflower Optimism said...

Thanks for the piece on forgiveness, Dr. John. A good reminder for when we get those stubborn and prideful streaks that keep us from healing.

We had a priest who even went one step further - he said it is a very bitter pill to swallow, but the one thing that would help us to forgive is to pray for the person who has wronged us.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Bare said...

You know, that was such a wonderful post, and something I really needed to read... I've been having a hard time forgiving some people who have hurt me in the very recent past... Thanks for posting this :0)

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wise words, as always, dr. john, we only hurt ourselves more by holding back and feeding our anger or resentment. Forgive and we stop feelig anger and, in the end, peace.

So very glad you found your teeth. Smiles all round!

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home