Saturday, October 28, 2006

HAppy Days are Here Again


Saying for the Day: You would be suprised at what makes people happy.

If I was young and didn’t have so much arthritis I would be doing hand stands right now.
Well, maybe, not hand stands but at least some kind of happy jumping.
I called our Pastor last night and asked a favor and he was nice enough to grant it.
Since they are having a going away coffee for us on November 5th I asked if I could preach one last time at the three services and he said , YES.

I am going to stand in United’s pulpit one more time.
I am going to speak the Word from God to God’s people one more time.
You can not begin to understand what that means to me.
Preaching was the center of my life.
Every week I studied and every Sunday I preached.
For 35 years I filled that pulpit.
I hated to be away from it.
Since my illness I have not had the opportunity or , at least part of the time, the strength.

I get to preach on All Saints Sunday.
I think of all those people who shared with me in this proclaiming of the good news who have gone home and it seems like a wonderful Sunday to end my ministry in and with United.

I am so excited.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– The little town in my garage where the trains still run and nobody wants to be Mayor– Eino’s friend from Portland told Eino that he couldn’t find anything on the company or the process in all those books. But he did find some articles in which it was rumored that the government was running secret experiments in teleportation that failed. The article said some people had to have limbs amputated because they became “ rock hard”. The writers of the articles quoted unnamed government sources.
Eino is fairly sure he knows how the Hermit Statue was made and that it wasn’t a failed teleportation but a machine that makes three dimensional statues out of paste and marble dust. But he is beginning to think the government is involved in some way. It still makes no sense.
The White Rabbit made an appearance last night at Middle Crossing. He waved to the passengers on the afternoon train as it left Pigeon Falls. I understand some took pictures. The White Rabbit had on his patriotic sweater. Somebody called Mrs. Trumble but she wasn’t home and her cell phone was turned off. But somebody must have gotten a hold of her because she was seen coming back from Middle Crossing in her truck. Well , they think it was Middle Crossing. That’s where the road goes. She could have been rabbit hunting as she had Dragon Slayer with her.
The Council voted to raise everybody’s tax bill and give the city employees a raise. They figured they were safe in doing that because they don’t intend to run for office again. People are steaming mad but not mad enough to run. One suspects the council was trying to provoke people enough to get them to run so they could change the action which doesn’t take effect until January. But it didn’t work. It just seems hopeless.
********

Today's Link: Are We There Yet? Please remember to put the words Dr. John in the comment to get those friendly JCPOIINTS. Check HERE for your total.
Betty went to a Women's gathering at teh Church. I spent the morning doing some research for my sister Dawn. I also printed out all my blogs since the last set I sent her. I pulled it all together and we will mail it to her on Monday. Betty and I went to church. The sermon was good but the attendance bad. Then we went grocery shopping. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

22 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

Good morning indeed it is. Oh, i'm so happy for you. I can read your joy. I can hear your enthusiasm and i'm beyond happy. But not just for you but for all those in the congregation. As much as this is a present for you, it will also be a gift to them. If i only had the money, i fly in for the wknd i tell you..it is one of those things that would stay with one for life...

Dr. JOhn you are still a preacher. Not from a pulpit but from a keyboard. I know it is not the same but i can assure you it is just as true. You preach and teach us the word of God in your actions, in your stories and in your posts and let's not forget the links...I'm a very proud of what you have accomplish here on the web. Many that would have tried wouldn't have gone anywhere for they don't have your soul and heart.

I will be with you in spirit thinking of you on that wonderful Sunday. If i could only fly down i assure you i would..Let's dream that someday we, your blog congregation, can hear you live, all together.
***********
Eino is just having the roughest time with this mystery. I'm glad that as many people trying to get that statue, it is still safe...
The council might make Nancy mad enough...you never know...
Glad the tourist got a glance and a wave from the rabbit, what a treat.
*******************
I've started my day happy, reading your post and hearing the Good News. YOu deserve so many wonderful things in your life. You dedicate your life to serving God and His sons and daughters..Thank you..
May God Bless you both every second of every day.
Take care and know i'm so very happy for you. Will read you tomorrow God willing.

4:44 AM  
Blogger Kat Campbell said...

I'll do the handstands in your behalf Dr. John! How wonderful for you! I'd always wondered how ministers retired, "called by God" isn't exactly a day job. I will think of you often on November 5th and send prayers in your direction.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

Oh I am so happy for you!! And I guess that means you have found your teeth!!! lol. God bless you...Im really so tickled you are going to get to do this.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Go preach the house down, Dr. John!

6:29 AM  
Blogger Sunflower Optimism said...

Dear Dr. John, what with my arthritis I can't do handstands either - but I am so very happy for you, in my heart.

I hope you will give us a little taste of what your last sermon from the pulpit will be about. Although I'm sure that will not be your last sermon. I believe the way a person lives their life is a sermon - especially a life that always offers as much goodwill to all, as you do.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Your post made me smile today.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Kev Brown said...

I'm glad you were granted your wish, I think it's wonderfull to see something so personal, un-materialistic and well meaning bring joy to somebody....seeing other people happy, in turn makes me happy. Chana is right, at least you get to express your thoughts to others via this here blog.

7:15 AM  
Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

How wonderful and how absolutely right that you will preach your last "official" sermon on All Saints. I share your joy about that day in particular - I too am preaching All Saints and it is my favorite feast day of the liturgical year. Wherever your journey takes you from here, know that God still has plans for you and that the life you life is the most effective sermon you can preach! My favorite verse from my favorite All Saints hymn "O blest communion, fellowship divine. We feebly struggle, they in glory shine. Yet all are one and all in thee are thine. Alleuia! Alleluia!"

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Dr. John that's wonderful news! I'm so thrilled for you and I am sure the congregation will be looking forward to it just as much as you. Lucky them to have been blessed to have you for their spiritual leader all those years.

8:43 AM  
Blogger ArtsyTartsyViray said...

Congrats on being able to preach one last time!

I could totally read the elation in the blog.. you are truly blessed!

8:49 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

It will be a bittersweet day for you. Everyone is happy for you.

You know, I think you just may be reaching an even larger congregation through your website. So many people enjoy it.

Cheers,
Josie

10:30 AM  
Blogger Oklahoma Girl said...

Congratulations!! It is so wonderful that you get to preach the Word on such a Sunday!! I am overjoyed for you. I have to agree with Chana, your pulpit is your blog & we are you congregation. This is the work God now has for you. You bless me each day with your words of wisdom & kindness. Thank you !!!

Things are getting interesting in Pigeon Fall I see. Wonder what will happen next. Seems the government is always involved in something covert.

Have a blessed day. Take care dear friend.

Blessed be...

11:22 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

The seemingly neverending cunnundrum of illness, disease, pain and suffering. Why Lord, why?

See some (the healthier) would dismiss it as Cosmic karma, older souls paying for pasts sins ...
But they've missed the point.
Matter (Physics & biology) is what we are born into
Spirit is what (who) we are
You can have healthy bodies and be poor of spirit
you can have a sick body and be a strong spirit.

The later are to give strength to those who are weaker of spirit, to uphold the community and 'raise' the spirits ...
Just like those with stronger bodies can help those with weaker bodies and 'lift' weaker bodies.

It is as simple as that, physical matter is perishable, transient and obeys the laws of physics and radioactive decay...
Spirit is what is born in matter, in biology, in the body - and like a driver with a car - is independent of the car's rust, the cars 'breakdown' the car's flat tire. A good driver maintains the car well, and always keeps a spare in the boot (or trunk)for emergencies, spare bulbs in the glove box, and a triangle for breakdowns on the highway.

So Dr John, here's wishing you a great day on the pulpit.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Dr. John, as your following here on blogger clearly reveals, you have never stopped ministering or serving God. I am very glad you get to speak from the pulpit -- I am glad not only for you, but also for the people who will be blessed by your words.

I remember the first time I was asked to speak in church. I had barely completed the reuired Lay Ministry classes and was still digesting the thought that I might be asked to speak, and pastor went into the hospital unexpectedly. I was his appointed Sunday replacement.

I called upon my dear friend and, over lunch, said, "I don't know that I can do this!" She said, "Why not? You lead Sidewalk Sunday School every Saturday. This isn't that much different." I told her, "It is different. These are adults. They will know if I get something wrong."

My friend looked at my and said, very sternly, "Exactly. You will be talking to rational, thinking adults who can weigh your words and make their own decisions as to what to do with them. That is by far less crucial than teaching innocent children."

As you can imagine, rather than comforting me, her words scared me twice as much!

1:38 PM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Congratulations on the chance to preach. Have you ever just thought of putting your sermons on a CD and making them available?

BTW, Eino should be able to buff those statues up to a nice shine if they are made with marble dust.

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!!! Of course I know how exciting that must be for you!! And Dr. John, you must let me read it..you have read so many of mine!

blessings on the Word made flesh!!!

3:20 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

That's wonderful news Dr. John. I would love to read your sermon. I just know it's going to be great.

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy your All Saint's Sunday Dr. John I'm sure it will be a glowing, emotional day. I wish I could do the
hand stands and a cartwheel or two for you. Your blogger friends will be there with you.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

And we are all very happy for you......go easy on those hand stands though. haha....I am sure it will be a treat for your church family also...

6:36 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

Congratulations Dr John! I can feel your joy too.Id also like to be able to read this sermon that means so much to you.Will you share with us what you are going to preach about?
My brother is a pastor and I adore going to hear him all fired up preaching Gods word.

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I wish I could be there to hear it. But you guest it I am on call. Well actually I will be working on the 5th on saterday night sunday morning. Work is switching over to a new system and I need to be in working. I would of loved to have the boy come up and listen to you speak.

Love
Your son
Patrick

3:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Came here from Chana's blog.
Congratulations on being able to preach one last time.
Knock em dead..figuratively not literally, ha,ha..

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home