Friday, November 03, 2006

Lucky Me

Saying for the Day: Luck is what you make of it.

Some people are lucky and some aren’t. Take me for example.
Last month I:
Entered 465 lotto tickets for a million and won nothing.
Entered 248 lotto tickets for a half a million and won nothing.
Entered 248 lottery tickets for a new car and won nothing.
Entered 1200 chances at IWON.Com for $10,000 and won nothing
Entered 3100 trys at 6 big prizes worth around $3000 And won nothing
Spun the Iwon prize wheel 1550 time and won nothing.
Scratched 310 online scratch cards worth up to $25,000 and won nothing.
Entered 76 other contests and won nothing.
All of these were free.
Now that’s luck.
But in fact I am the luckiest guy that I know. Why?
Because:
I live in the United States.
I have Medicare.
I have a house to live in.
I have all the food I need.
I have a van to visit my children in.
Twice they expected me to die but I didn’t. I’m still here.
I married the most wonderful woman in the world.
I am still married to that wonderful woman though I don’t deserve her.
I have three of the finest children you will find anywhere.
I have five wonderful grandchildren
I have multiple friends in this community.
I have a nice community of blogging friends.
I have a God who called me from atheism to faith and has upheld me ever since and probably before.
So you see you don’t get any luckier than I am.

@@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– The little town in my garage where the trains still run and there is a mystery around every corner– Eino stopped in to Nancy’s to cry on her shoulder. His attempt to find out about the stone statue seems to be at dead end and he doesn’t know where to go next. Nancy suggested he contact the FBI with a missing persons concern. Robert Stenwall, the Hermit, has been missing for some time and they might be able to help find him or at least find some more parts of the puzzle. So yesterday afternoon Eino called the FBI office .Told the man in charge that Stenwall just disappeared and nobody has heard from him since. His house now stands empty. The man in the office took down the information and said he would get back to Eino. Eino left out the part about the stone statue because he was afraid it might cause them to think he was some kind of nut.
Nancy says people are confused as to which candidate to vote for as governor . According to the TV adds one candidate has failed as governor and has let dangerous criminals run free and the other sends much needed jobs to china and can’t tell the truth. What a choice.
Dr. Fortress is running a special train for deer hunters. It will stop along the route near some of the camps where the hunting ( and other activities) take place. One hunter from lower Michigan’s wife put a thread across the zipper of his gun case. When he came home it was still there. What in the world was he hunting without a gun?
Here is a Pigeon Falls soup recipe . Pour one can of chicken stock into kettle . Add three large bottles of whiskey, one large bottle of rum, one can of tomato soup, stir and serve. Do not heat. One Pigeon Falls resident didn’t heed the don’t heat part of the recipe and blew a hole in the ceiling of the camp.
*****

Today's Link- New York Nitty-Gritty-Remember to put the words Dr. John in the comment to get those pretty as a picture JCPOINTS- Check HERE for your total.
When Betty gets up she will draw for today's prize winner. Notice we have added some new pricless (without value) prizes to the Pic a Prize list. You could be the winner.

And now what almost nobody has been breatlessly awaiting. B etty draws;

A very quiet drumroll

And the winner is Bazz27.

He only had 484 chances so as Luck goes he is pretty lucky. The top person had 1714 chances.

Well Bazza27 you need to go to the Pic a Prize List and tell us the number of the prize you want.
We had another family come and look at the house so its still possible it could get sold. My sister called and we talked about her upcoming trip to New York. She invited us to her place for Thanksgiving but I think we will have Thanksgiving in the new house if poosible. I tried to get a hotel room in Green Bay for next weekend but their were no vacancies in the ten motels I checked. So I guess we are staying with Pennie. In the afternoon we began to take down the 027 layout pictured above. It was kind of a sad time. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

25 Comments:

Blogger Bazza said...

I like the sound of the pigeon falls recipe, is there a vegetarian option?

4:04 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Helps to step back and look at just what we do have. We do have an awful lot when compared with other parts of the world. Sometimes I wonder if we will stay satisfied with heaven.

Pigeon Falls soup -- one reason I wouldnt want to go deer hunting.

4:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hunters busted out by a wife, I like that. Hopefully the FBI will help out Eino. I'm lucky too, just not monetarily.

4:29 AM  
Blogger Sunflower Optimism said...

Hmm, Dr. John - I wouldn't call it lucky - I would call it blessed! To be thankful for every good thing in our lives is the root of all happiness :-)

Speaking of, thank you so much for New York Nitty-Gritty - I love it!

5:00 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

I like the way sunflower said it and feel the same way, blessed indeed.

5:17 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

http://polyvinylman.blogspot.com/

I think you need this guy to help Eino.

5:31 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

you might be the luckiest man in the world and yes, all your Blessings are enormous but we also enjoy God's fruits, in you. You see, while you lists all those things that make your life so much better, you got to remember that your name and that of Betty is in our list of Thansgiving.
**********
i think going to the FBI but not telling them about the statue was the right thing to do. and i love that recipe..how nice of the train to run a special run for the hunters. that Dr. Fortress is surely nice.
*****************
i thank you for the beautiful and uplifting post. you have a wonderful life and a wonderful many joys. i'm grateful that you think of us as part of your lists. much love.

5:35 AM  
Blogger Bazza said...

Hi it's me again, apparently I've won a prize, which makes me almost as lucky as Dr. John himself. I've had a look at the prizes, and I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Tigger, so I'll go 6 or 8 please.

5:58 AM  
Blogger Oklahoma Girl said...

You are a very blessed man. Our God is a wonderful comfort, just waiting for us to say "come in".
I know why the soup shouldn't be heated. Too much booze!!

Have a blessed weekend!!

Blessed be...

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love your perspective and outlook on life. Reading your posts always cheers me up and makes my day.

That is some recipe. I guess if you drink that you won't notice the cold and you won't care if you actually shoot anything. Of course, you might need to be a bit more careful not to shoot yourself or your hunting buddies.

My pick-a-prize box arrived yesterday. I got a real kick out of the TIPC pamphlet and the warning about the CD. Megan says "Thank You" for the Cookie Monster collectible.

6:30 AM  
Blogger ArtsyTartsyViray said...

That was a very beautiful blog.. I too often feel very unlucky in life.. but when i really sit down and count my blessings.. I also feel like the luckiest person alive.

Great entry!!!

6:55 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Wow... I haven't seen someone so appreciative as I have seen in you today! That's wonderful that you're so grateful. A lot of people take a lot of things for granted.

I am so happy that God called you to believe. There's nothing greater than that!

And, why don't you think you deserve to be loved by the woman you're crazy about? I think the two of you are very lucky to have found one another.

You're truly blessed! Thank you for sharing all that you did with us!

Enjoy your weekend Dr. John!

7:10 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Seems like it is rare to find people who lare ucky in both money and love....

I'll take love over money any day....

(Yes, I am saying I am lucky in love, don't worry....)

9:00 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

I got my candle today!!! Thank you very much!!! I read my cards you sent in it and I had to laugh so hard Dr John. " Do not drive after lighting this candle" ,lol. The candle smells great, as the candle sniffer from the Fortress gaurantees! Thank you for making me laugh first thing today! Huggs

10:30 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

lol!
You are lucky

Whoever heated the chicken soup in the kettle is the lucky one

12:12 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

And Dr John..we are SO lucky to have you..you have united so many of us and Im so grateful.I thank Betty too for looking after you.

12:43 PM  
Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

It is always good to take stock of your blessings and be grateful for what we have. You set the faithful a wonderful example!

1:23 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

You're right, I am so lucky in so many other ways. Financially, not so lucky but there has always been hope and opportunity.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Yay Bazza!

Good thinking Eino.

Hope the house sells and ...

Dr. John, I think I may have found some of your missing luck. I'm the finalist to two online contests, I just won a print from an art blog you sent us all to awhile back, plus I am being featured this week at Sar's for an inspirational blog post (apparently others find my idiocy inspiring). AND, I'm listening to a lovely Celtic CD I recieved from Dr. John.

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a positive and loving post Dr. John. We should always give thanks for what we have, when bad times come we just need a little reminder. Thank you.


And I must try out that soup recipe..

6:11 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

You are a lucky person. I always try to see the glass as half full, rather than half empty. People have no idea how many blessings they have, until they see how few some other people have.

Cheers,
Josie

I'm baaack.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

A certain amount of money is pretty much necessary for survival. After that, money is greatly overrated. There are other things more important.

7:12 PM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Yes luck is really what we make of it. I for one aren't lucky. I may not be lucky in money but I am lucky in friends like you and the other blogging friends. I'm lucky in having a hubby who understands my moods.
So when is the next marathon?

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here I was hoping that your house wouldn't sell & you'd have to stay in Crystal Falls,next to Pigeon Falls! You will find lots of great people where you are moving, tho. I'll keep putting Crystal Falls photos & info on my journal for you to visit.

I like your outlook on being grateful for such pleasant things in life. I like to focus on special moments that I designate as "This is a good-as-it-gets moment".

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there a reason why Pigeon Falls is named Pigeon Falls? And does the community of Pigeon Falls have any comments on ammendant three...the one about hunting mourning doves? It would that some on in the garage would say a thing or two.

Dr. John, Thank you for another perspective on living. And yes, we are lucky...and blessed

Easter Bonny

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home