Thursday, November 09, 2006

Puttering at the Farm


Saying for the day: There is no coffee like egg coffee.

My sister going to Ellis Island this week got me to thinking about my grandfather John who came from Finland.
There are some memories I have of him that I want to share.

First I remember him coming out to the farm ( that’s what they called where we lived) and puttering.
He had a little garden where he planted potatoes every year and he puttered in that.
Then on Friday he would chop wood and haul it down to the Sauna.
After that he hauled water so that it was ready to be heated on Saturday morning.
It took many pails of water to fill the Sauna barrel. ( When he no longer could carry the water my dad put in a water pipe and plumbing)
Then on Saturday morning he would come and light the fire.
He would go back to town and come again just after noon for his sauna.
The entire family followed in groups all through the day.
He really enjoyed that sauna .

I remember him wearing the same hat you see him in in this picture and dressed pretty much in black.
He was sharpening the axe to cut sauna wood.
It was done on an old grinding wheel that was turned by hand into water to keep it cool.
My dad did the turning.
I also remember him making coffee every morning in the “other house”.
The log house next door to us on “the farm” also belonged to the family and was the old family residence from years before.
Gramps would come early in the morning and put the big coffee pot on the stove.
He put the grounds right in the pot.
When it was nearly ready he would break an egg into the pot which pulled the grounds to the bottom.
I would tell my mother I was going to have egg coffee with grandpa.
He always had a good supply of Trenary or Finnish toast.
Which is a small hard toast.
You soaked it in the coffee.
It was so good having coffee with Grampa.

I also have a movie of him sharpening his axe but no way to transfer it to video.

I am so lucky to have these memories.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– The little town in my garage where the trains still run and the kids make the laws– Tonight they will swear the 8th grade class in as the council. Tommy , the undertaker’s son, will be sworn in as Mayor. Nobody in town knows what to think. What kind of governing group will they be? What plans do they have for the town? It would seem some people are even a bit afraid. Just suppose they declare every other Friday to be a school holiday or some dumb thing like that.
Mrs. Trumble says if Tommy pushes that stupid White Rabbit law she is going to circulate a recall petition and get him removed. Tommy says that he isn’t afraid of her and will do the right thing. Besides he never asked to be elected so if they throw him out he loses nothing.
Most people in town are Democrats so they are happy over the national election. This political affiliation rises from the days when most of the men were connected to the Iron Mines. There are a few Republicans but they saw the loss coming and don’t seem too upset. Nothing really changed since the local representative was already a Democrat as was our state senator.
The White Rabbit was seen this morning close to the train station. He was waving at the milk train which had one passenger car. Mrs. Trumble was seen in the area soon after in her truck . You could see the dragon slayer (her shotgun) on the seat next to her. Somebody must have tipped her that the White Rabbit was around.
******

Today's Link: The Truth be Told- Please remember to put Dr. John in the comment to get those poetic JCPOINTS. Check HERE for your totals. I am extending the Marathon until noon because I can't start counting until then. It looks like people had a good time.
Betty went to the bank and made arrangments for our loan payment to be transfered from our account automatically every month. ( Now all we have to do is keep money in the account0 Betty also did a little gracery shopping. Mr. Sandstrom stopped by with a videotape of last Sunday's service. I spent the afternoon working on the marathon but blogger gave me so much trouble it will be late tomorrow before I finish.( I can't count comments if blogger won't let me get to the comments) . We had some good news. Pennie had an offer on her house. It was low but now she can make a counter offer. If it sells then it will take some pressure off. We will have mortgages on only two houses instead of three. Well I need a breathing treatment and I have a new breathing mask for tonight.
GBYA

22 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Yes, egg coffee was good. Must be a scandinavian thing. Used to be one guy at church who was in charge of the coffee. Hasnt been the same since he passed on.

4:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it when people like you post stories of their relatives. It lets them live again, a nice tribute.

4:14 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Wow, we learn something new every day. Egg coffee! That would work to capture those grounds.

Hope it stopped raining up your way. Waking up to a chilly cold day here in Savannah but the sun is finally shining through our windows.

6:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi dr. John---U are such a handsome man. Egg-coffe-very interesting...
now we just need bacon juice, and breakfast will go down in a couple of shots!

: )

6:49 AM  
Blogger fennymun said...

Egg coffee?! It must have a special flavour. Can't find one here. Not sure whether I can make a cup for myself....

6:55 AM  
Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

How wonderful that you have such memories of your grandfather. Reminded me of mine (he was "Gramps" too!). My money is on the 8th graders. I'll bet they rise to the occasion and do a fine job leading the town!

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goodmorning. Never had egg coffee, although I am scandinavian way back in my genes. have a good day!

8:48 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Wow, it’s amazing, because my mother still uses a percolator to brew her coffee—which you have to put the grinds inside the pot as well. But I have never heard of putting an egg in there. Very interesting. Your memories of our grandpa are precious!

9:02 AM  
Blogger Jerry Bowley said...

I'm going to have to try some of that coffee one of these days, Doc! Sounds great!

By the way, I finished the following categories in the Marathon, despite Blogger Comments being down most of last evening: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,10,11,and 12.

And, yeah, it was fun!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Bella said...

Egg coffee - that is very interesting because I have never heard of such a thing. Reading that story made me think about the things that we have today. It's trivial compared to process that people had to go through in those days just to get a glass of water. Thanks for sharing that!

hehehehehehehehehehehe - I can just imagine what's gonna happen in Pigeon Falls and I think all the adults are in for an eye awakening experience. The thing is, know should under estimate a kid - they're smarter than we'd like to think and they listen to EVERYTHING and remember EVERYTHING.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

I wanted to thank you so very much for listing my blog as one of the art blogs in this month's marathon. You have introduced me to a whole new group of friends, brightened my days, and well wasn't that your point?

God bless you. I am finding that I long for updates of the eigth grade city council in pigeon falls, and now count you amongst my friends.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

oh yes, i completed catagories 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,10,11,12. Like everyone else, I kept getting an error message when trying to comment on An Army Wife, but did complete the other four in catagory 9. My hubby started jokingly calling me "lump that doesn't move from the computer" I was marathoning so long yesturday...lol. thanks!

9:47 AM  
Blogger butterflies said...

I love your stories of your family.
I cant imagine egg coffee but I will ask my American friend whos staying for a few days....
Breathe easy.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Cherlee's said...

I love your memories they are so interesting! Once again thanks for sharing

12:50 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

So you get poached egg, toast and coffee served all in the same bowl.

A bit like coffee soup?
Must be Scandinavian, or maybe it was just your grampa's special recipe - maybe it was just grampa who made it a special brew

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't much like coffee. Maybe it'd be better with an egg in it? At least you have those wonderful memories of your grandfather. It's always the little things that stick with us and make the lasting impressions, isn't it?

1:35 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Wonderful story about your Grandfather. I like coming here to read them. Egg coffee, I never heard of this before. My Dad used to perk his coffee, all I seen him add was a pinch of salt.

Reading this story got me to thinking about my Uncle Jim. Someday I will post a story to two about my Uncle Jim.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

You know i love your family pics. It reminds me of seeing my great-grandparents pics. I loved the story. I often think that the men of the past were made of different genes than some that came afterwards. Look how hard they all worked. Look how far they went and accomplised with so much less...Maybe it's not the men, maybe it's the advances of society's that have made our lifes so cushy we have forgotten..the real stuff...

I have never heard of eggs in coffee, but i know about the coffee grains straight in the pot and the dunking of nice toast/bread and i know of how wonderful it was to have any one on one time with someone we adored and admire..i'm happy that you have these memories. and i'm thankful that you share them with us..it is wonderful to be a part of your present and to know a bit of your past.
*************
Who is to say that a world ran by children would not be better than one by adults..Daily i see adults act as kids. petty, resentful, angry, jealous, mean and plenty of times i'm that myself..aren't we suppose to be childlike to go to Heaven..???...being a kid is not so bad and i plenty learn from them..so good luck to the council and the new major.
*********************
i'm so happy that there will be some negotiations with Pennies home. the responsibility of being responsible for one home is enough for me, i dont' wish 3 on anyone..(the rich don't carry mortages i think, even though they have many homes)..
thank you for the work that you put into the marathon.
not that i need help in thinking and over thinking things..but i have again..about the marathons...and here it is..and i thank Joe for helping me once more..yes, i love JC points..yeah, i have a competitive side to me but it's all in fun and i didn't think it was anything but..besides the JC points there are other reasons i do love doing the marathons..you give us so much and you do it without asking anything, not even our friendships in return and so i do them for you, to spread your name about so that others can have read your words and feel your love and know your friendship. i do them for me, for i know what it's like not to have readership or comments for feedback..i do them for us, so that our community may grow as we try to do something good in this world full of anger and hatred and pettiness and sadness. and i do them because it is fun..fun to have a challenge to meet in so a time frame and because i have met so many wonderful people and have found so many incredible blogs to enjoy..
i'm not now or ever say things to you or anyone because i'm a suck up or do i think i'm better than anyone else..nor do i want or hope to get better preference. And frankly, i know you know this and i'm grateful for you know my heart and my intentions, but i needed to put it out there, it is better. i know i'm mushy, and wordy and emotional..i know must 37 yr olds don't write or speak like i do, i know i'm weird but it is me..for better or worse it is..i have so often felt alone or sad or unwanted, i knew early on i wasn't ever going to keep my mouth shut, i would always voice my happiness and joy that others give me so that no one, at least on my watch would feel so sad..i don't write for credits or applause or attention..it actually makes me so uncomfortable. i thank you for your friendship and for reminding me of the ones that raised me and for what you try to do..you are right is is so easy to break the peace and so hard to maintain it..but we must try or give up and God doesn't give up and neither will i or you i'm sure..So thank you for what you do..and as long as i can i will do it with you..

9:28 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

I am so sorry I missed the marathon. I was just too busy -- I didn't even make most of my daily blog rounds yesterday.

I think the 8th grade may make a more level headed council than the adults.

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Doc,Must try it out first and I will let you know,Thanks for sharing.
Wish you well

3:53 AM  
Blogger Tina Dray said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Tina Dray said...

i really enjoy reading about your family history, they are such great stories! Not sure about egg and coffee though more of an egg and soldiers kind of gal.

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home