Saturday, November 11, 2006

A few things about a sermon

Saying for the day: Sometimes just a few things is a few too many.

I promised to tell you a few things about last Sunday’s sermon.

1. It was not my best sermon.

2. It was well received not because it was good but because for some odd reason these people really liked me.

3. It was not the same at any of the three services.

4. I preached from the pulpit not from the aisle. I needed the pulpit to hold me up.

5. One of the two texts I used was Philippians 1:4-6.( The main body of the sermon.)

6. I thanked the congregation for our partnership in everything from raising money for World Hunger, to Intern Training, to the two additions we added and paid for.

7. The closing part of the sermon was based on John 20:30.

8. I told them every time I preached I said this to myself as I stepped into the pulpit “ I speak these words that you might know that Jesus is the Christ and knowing have life in his name.”

9. My task was not to change their life or make them better people but to share the life that gives joy and peace.

My son is still trying to get an audible recording by enhancing what he took on Sunday.
Then we will try to share it with those who want to hear it.
Probably on our web site. I will let you know if that happens.
We also have a video made by a member of the congregation which has better sound.
We need to convert that to a format that can be used on the web site.
It is too long for me to print out the entire text in the blog and I am too kind to subject you to that.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– The little town in my garage where the trains still run and the kids run the town– Since the passing of what is now called “Tommy’s Law’ the White Rabbit has made several appearances . Mrs. Trumble was not seen in any of those places so it is possible that Tommy’s little talk with her has done some good.
Nancy says that Mrs. Trumble was in for coffee this morning and told her she was conferring with a lawyer about the form for a recall petition. She thinks the town council has overstepped its authority in passing this law. She is not going to put up with it. The White Rabbit was seen at the end of the street while Mrs. Trumble was in Nancy’s. It was almost as if the Rabbit was thumbing his nose at her and saying now why don’t you shoot me.
The eighth graders are now seen as heroes in the eyes of the other kids. Even the ninth graders are treating them with respect. There was no school in Pigeon falls today because of the snow storm which swept in from out west.
There were two power outages today because of the storm. Eino was trying to get some information from the internet when his computer went down as he had no backup power supply for the computer. He is , of course, still working on the Hermit problem.
****

Today's link-Broadcastellan-Remember to put the words Dr. John in the comment to get those old time JCPOINTS. Check HERE for your totals (Last Marathon not yet added in).
Had a horrible night last night. The snowstorm cause the lights to flicker ( very slight power outages) which caused the alarm on my Bi-Pap to go off. So about every half hour the alarm would wake us up. Since the machine keeps me alive we couldn't disable the alarm in case the power went down and stayed down.
The fifth marathon totals are done and you can see them by clicking HERE.
If your totals are too low or if I lost you altogether ( a horrible possiblity) then drop me an e-mail and I will correct them. ( linnajohn@sbcglobal.net)
For those of you with an interest in egg coffee I just remebered Gramps crushed the shell and threw that in as well.
Betty and I spent part of the day packing. I boxed books.
Then I designed and Betty worked on some blogger globes for the marathon. It will take a week or so to finish all twelve. By then the last of the blog cups from the last Marathon should be here and I can mail everything out. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes the best and most meaningful sermons are those in which you know the minister is talking from love. To your congregation, I bet it was one of your best sermons. I'm sorry to hear about the storm, get some rest today!

4:18 AM  
Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

As a preacher myself, I know that the sermon never comes out the same way twice! And I also know that often the ones we don't think are our best are the ones that touch others deeply. I am sure that the love and trust you share with this congregation added great depth and power to your words and you can trust the Holy Spirit to have worked through that!

6:31 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

My favorite part of your sermon was the woman who told you to get a haircut.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Thing #9 is a wonderful thing and point to be made, embraced and remembered.

To reflect the light outwards.

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure the sermon was just fine, Dr. John. As you well know, the Holy Spirit has this uncanny way about her--working with our words and using us as voice pieces...

When we speak God's truth...nothing comes out wrong...it reaches someone.

I hope to get to hear it, if you son gets it to work!

8:54 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

i can assure you that all that had the pleasure to be there and hear you speak loved your words.

it is funny how you are still perplexed that so many people like/love you. you silly, you are love walking on two legs..it is hard to miss.

i am glad that you were able to do all 3 services. the fact that they were all slighty different makes them real and nothing beats that.
i'm also glad that you had the pulpit to hold on to.

i love that you used the word partnership. that is the key in most all relationships that work well. i'm glad you all had that with each other and made so much of a difference working together.

when i was at Sandy's funeral, this being my first time at a non Catholic service, after all speakers they ended with the same saying..similar to your words..it was lovely..their words were in the name of Jesus Christ (i think it was somewhat close to it)..

i loved your last point..to share His Life and His Love..that is beautiful sir.
*****************
Tommy's Law is a kind and right thing to do. Now the rabbit feels safe, so he is all about..How funny that he was teasing Mrs. Trouble..i hope she doesn't get far with the lawyer.

a day off school is always a nice treat. i'm glad there were no real and long lasting damage from the storm.
************************
I'm truly sorry that you had such a horrible night. I can hope that it doesn't happen again. Good thing you have the machine to keep you alive but we need somehow to back up the power so as not to put your life in danger.
I hope you can and Betty can take a nap so that you may not get over tired or ill and catch up in your missed night.

Better night ahead for you both i wish. Take care, sleep well and God willing read you tomorrow.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

I have a feeling your congregations all thought it was your best sermon and that's what they'll remember. You probably showed your feelings in a way that they could see everything that was coming from your heart. It's funny how that works. Did you get a video tapings?

I love your little stories of Pigeon Falls.

Cheers,
Josie

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think everyone who has any contact with you gets to know Him in some way. You live His Word by example everyday.

What a night you and Betty had. I hope you are able to get some rest today.

11:40 AM  
Blogger butterflies said...

I love Philippians.
"and every time I pray for you I pray with joy because in the way in which you have helped me in the work of the gospel from the very first day until now"
I love the letters of Paul while he was in prison.He still found joy amongst all of his pain and suffering.It reminds us all to have courage and confidence in the face of all adversity.
Thankyou for reminding us of that Dr John.
Im sure the sermon was wonderful!
Sorry your machine beeped all night...hope you got SOME rest.
Now..breathe easy.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

The best serman I ever heard at a Methodist church was about 15 yrs ago. Dr. Pearson basically was saying if God was calling to be somewhere and we didn't go, then when Christ returned he wouldn't be able to find us. I had felt called to the Catholic church for many years, and this sermon cause me a touch of stress. So, since I lived directly across the street, I met with Dr. Pearson and talked to him about this. He immediately got up and opened his office door and said that if I didn't go atleast check out the Catholic religion Christ wouldn't find me there upon his return! So my becoming Catholic was because of a methodist minister as wonderful and loving servant of God as I know that you are!

I still say that Tommy is trying to get Mrs. Trumble to knit a sweater for the white rabbit. I think that she just might do it, but she'll choose a stitch pattern that in the site of her gun will appear as a target. But Tommy will catch her first!!!

5:22 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I've heard our Pastor say many a time that he had no idea why he spoke a sermon as he did, even when he had already had a different one planned. But, it never fails that it was for someone who needed ministering to. It's been me more than once or twice and it always amazes me that God will go to the lengths He does to give us something we need to hear from Him.
As for that coffee with the eggshells thrown in- you got cafeine and calcium all in one cup.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

I received a lovely penguin snow globe in last evenings mail. The box said it came from the fortress, but I don't know what I did to win/earn/deserve it! I love it, though. It is right here beside me.

As to the rest -- what Chana said -- you do reflect Jesus, continually.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

I have never read a sermon on the internet. I'm sure that would be a tough assignment.

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are always our harshest judges...I bet you were just wonderful.

11:08 PM  
Blogger Tina Dray said...

glad to see both bazza and i won globes on the marathon but please save on your expence save ours for future marathons.

The fun of takeing part is reward enough!

posting all these rewards must really mount up!

you and betty are truly kind people

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you had a bad night dr. john, I hope you both had time to rest during the day.

We are alwys our own worst critic, from just reading your blog I am sure your congregations wee moved by your words and thought it was your best, simply because you were there behind the pulpit once more.

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home