Sunday, December 03, 2006

Sunday and where to go?

It is Sunday and we are going to church.
I missed church last Sunday and I felt really bad.
We don’t have a church home in Neenah yet so we will go today to Pennie’s church.
I am not sure it is one I want to join.
We will shop around a bit.

It is hard to find an ELCA church that is liberal and conservative.
I want a church that is liberal on most social issues but is conservative theologically.
There are lots of liberal ELCA churches but I can’t accept the theology that goes with it.
There are lots of conservative ELCA churches but I can’t accept the lack of concern for the poor and the needy of our society .
Nor can I accept the we alone are right attitude of many conservative churches.

So I think I am going to have a hard time finding a church home.
But God has lead me this far so I believe he will lead me there.

If the blog is not reading right on the Explorer browser my computer is not yet up. I hope to have it up by Monday. So many things to unpack and move.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my garage where trains still run and the Mayor fights to keep them running.-The power is back on. Last Lutheran was full this morning. One supposes that church is where you go as your world is coming to an end. Pastor Marvel said that the people of God need to trust God and not some old Russian prophecy. God did not send the power outage and God has not decided to end Pigeon Falls on the fifteenth of December. He called on them as people of faith to go on living in the joy that comes from Jesus and to walk away orfrom all the gloom and doom talk.The sermon seemed to help lift a little of the black cloud.
Mayor Trumble met on Saturday with Dr. Fortress trying to get him to put off closing down the railroad until the Governor has time to act. But he gave her no promises.
Nancy says that she is amazed at the abilities of Mrs. Trumble. A lot of the people who are coming in for coffee are also singing her praises. It looks like Tommy made a good choice for his successor in the office. But can she save the town?
********
Today's Link-Ruminating in the Roses- Remember to leave the words Dr. John in the comment to get those crochet JCPOINTS.Check HERE for your points.
We did go to Pennie's Church and I liked the music. In the afternoon we put up the Christmas tree but we haven't decorated it yet. THen My son Patrick abs his friend Curtis came and they went with Pennie to put a sink in her old house. I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

18 Comments:

Blogger Nessa said...

I hope you find a church that fits you soon.

It takes time to reorganize your life when you move.

4:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You probably know this already, but www.elca.org

BTW, my pastors in Green Bay used to pastor in Neenah. Dont know where, but I think they would fit your bill, so maybe they left their mark when they left.

5:09 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Kick out the renter on the other side of the duplex and start your own church....the offering should be enough to pay the rent and help others and you will not have to travel far to go to church, you can be the pastor again, you can podcast you sermons for all your blog friends....c'mon, you know it is a good idea.....

6:11 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Dr. John -- I found the right church when I wasn't looking for one. The church I was attending was unsatisfactory, but "habit" kept me there. Then I went to a Christmas concert with a friend at a church neither of us belonged to --- but I've returned every Sunday thereafter (and many other days of the week as well).

8:46 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

I like that: "to walk away from all the gloom and doom talk." That's very nice. I can tend to get pessimistic when people have tried to victimize me (stealing from me, etc.)

I hope you find a church where you feel at home.

Josie

9:51 AM  
Blogger Bazza said...

I love the concept of "shopping around" for an appropriate church, but I know what you mean.

10:54 AM  
Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

It is so disorienting when we are away from our regular place of worship and looking for a new one. But God has led you this far and I have every confidence he will continue to lead you to your new place of worship. And shouldn't Advent be about searching for new revelations of Christ as we prepare for his coming again?

11:22 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

you know what, i really love Loris' idea. and i am serious. you can do it Dr. John, i mean in a way you already are..all here in your post..why not? i may not know the details for i'm Catholic..i don't know if you need permission or something but i'm sure it can all be done. what if God's plan is just that, for you not to ever stop spreading His word and being a Pastor. you still are i tell you, you just do it from a keyboard..pls consider it..
***********
Mrs. Trumble has redeemed herself. she has gone to being thought of as a town cuckoo to being the most respected and revered person in town. now that is a sweet turn around. and besides it is great that she is keeping so busy for she is staying off the hunt of the rabbit and dragon :) .
The Pastor is right in his words to the town. I hope they bring comfort to the people.
****************
I hope your night was much more peaceful and you both got some good rest. i hope you both have a wonderful day with so much close family at hand. God Bless and guide you. Pls don't worry, about the church thing. God will lead you to where He needs you and wants you.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

You will find a Church Dr John...it just takes time. The people in my Church feel like family..Ive been there for over 30 years. I left once and went to another Church for awhile but I came back. The Minister we had at the time was not esp interesting, but I missed all the people. When I walk in my Church I feel at home.

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finding the right church can be hard. That is probably one of the reasons people do not go. I wish you the best of luck on your search!:)

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finding a new church home is so hard. It shouldn't be, but it definately is.

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you don't find a church that suits you just start your own..

3:44 PM  
Blogger Cherlee's said...

I know once you walk into the right church you will feel in an instant good luck on your journey! Wish you all the best on finding the right one.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Rose of Sharon said...

Thank you Dr. John for linking me today. :) Your post today struck a cord with me. My partner and I have been looking for a home church as well for awhile now and so far, we have not been very successful. Would love to go to a welcoming congregation, but it's hard to find one where we live. Will continue to search and pray about it.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

It may take a while but you'll find a church home. I've moved here in Savannah, Ga a few years ago and still am looking for the right church. Savannah - home to 1,000's of churches, two per block sometimes - and I'm having problems. Maybe because I have too many choices?

I want to start a church for the Lord someday and I will call it "The Living Room."

Don't know if this would be of any help - but I found that each church or demonimation has it's own strengths and disclipines. God has put me in a variety of churches as I moved from time to time. Looking back - each time I learned a new disclipine and am better for it.

Catholics gave me lessons on accountability, Methodist brought me to Salvation, Pentecostals brought me to learn praise and get to know our Father in Spirit. Calvary Chapels gave me knowledge.

Find what disclipine you'd like to learn now at this point in your life. If you don't know it, God does and he'll lead you to a church where you will be fed.

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you are well Dr John,Do what makes you happy my friend.
Wish you well

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you find a church that fits soon. I miss having a church family.

2:44 AM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

It really is difficult to adjust to a new place but knowing you, I know you'll do well. Hope you find a church you like. Glad you're back too.
When's the next marathon?

3:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home