Friday, December 01, 2006

A sad day

Saying for the Day:In life there are ends and beginnings one after the other.

Today is the day and I am feeling really sad.
For almost forty years Crystal Falls has been my home.
I know most of the people here and they know me.
I baptized and married many of them.
I held their hand in sorrow and rejoiced when the school teams won.
I served them as School Board President and as head of the Iron Country Council on Aging. They allowed me to be Citizen of the Year though I didn’t in any way deserve it.
Now I am ending all of that and moving away.
I enter into a new beginning and have no idea how it will go.
I want to shout “ Please, I don’t want to go”.

But then nobody is forcing me.

The rides to visit the kids have become just too long.
We love our kids and grandkids but a three hour ride or a six hour ride is just too much.
So we were seeing less and less of them.
We had to make a choice and we choose family.

The new house is nice.
It will be better when we move our furniture in April and move into our half of the duplex but it is nice now.
The get together at Thanksgiving showed how good things could be.

So here we go. I may cry all the way out of town.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my garage where the trains still run at least until December 15– The big council meeting was last night. Mayor Trumble asked each council member for their ideas on saving Pigeon Falls. One by one they admitted that they had none. Then Mrs. Trumble asked the council to pass the following resolution:
We the council of Pigeon Falls respectfully request of the Governor and Legislature of Michigan that they enter into an arrangement with Dr. Fortress and an unspecified third party to keep the local railroad in operation. A similar arrangement has been entered into by the state of Wisconsin with a railroad in the lower part of that state.
It would be advantageous for the state to enter into this arrangement fort the following reasons:
1. If the mine and mill cease to operate the state will lose tax revenue both from the companies and from the workers.
2. The workers and others in the community will end up on welfare and cost the state money.
3. Tourists won‘t be able to come to Pigeon Falls and the state will lose sales tax revenue.
4. We will request aid to building better roads since the reason given for ignoring our roads was our railroad system.
Mrs. Trumble went on to tell the Council that she had talked to Dr. Fortress. The governor and a possible third party and she thought this could possibly work.
The governor wants some assurance that Dr. Fortress will run a tighter ship and if the state were to take part would have to adequate representation on the controlling group.
The council after only a small discussion voted unanimously for the resolution.
Mrs. Trumble then faxed it to the governor’s office.
Now everybody has to just wait and see what happens. Will this move by Mrs. Trumble save Pigeon Falls or is December 15 really the end?
*****

Today's link: The Ethel Experience-Remember to leave the words Dr. John in the comment to get realy dumb JCPOINTS. Check HERE for your total.
Betty was up early and the name drawn is:

Lori's Minute

Congratulations Lori's Minute. Now Pick A Prize from the Pic A Prize page. Then leave the number in the comment.
We made it to our new home. Will blog tommorow about the day.
Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

21 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Whenever I get sad about moving, I remind myself of the alternative.

4:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is sad to leave the community you've been so much a part of. A sophie's choice almost, community family, or kids. In the end, it will be a great thing.

4:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you guys are going to be with your kids. My husband's parents live 2 hours away and it is terrible. We cant go there because we are busy with kids activities and they are getting older and do not want to make the drive here. You will be very happy and so will your family!

4:31 AM  
Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

God gave us tear ducts for a reason and the poingancy you are feeling today deserves to be honored with them. You have been a part of God's plan and you will continue to carry your love for God's people and their for you wherever you go. Trust that the God who gave you the gift of the care of these souls still has great things planned for you and his grace will be with you on the next stage of the journey as it has been on this part of it. And in God's eternal time, your time in Cyrstal Falls is eternally present.

4:55 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

I can understand your sadness. It will be softened with the joy of your new home.

4:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you have given a great gift to Crystal Falls in the time you have been there. One that won't be forgotten.
They say that life is an adventure. But it's a lot better adventure if you leave a trail of good behind you that made things better for others.
Like you have...

Enjoy your next adventure..

6:01 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Dr. John, I know you already know this, but: Crystal Falls will forever be a part of you, and you will forever be a part of Crystal Falls.

6:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MANY PEOPLE (like me)WILL BE SEEING YOU OFF IN SPIRIT, IF NOT IN PERSON!

It takes courage to make such a move! "TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE."

Since you must have acquired the knack of letting God direct your life ... you can take comfort in that ... this is the best way.

I'm hoping that Pigeon Falls is able to work out the crisis ... I'll be listening in.

AS EVER ... you can visit my journal to see how things are do'n UP here in the U.P. & Crystal Falls.

6:30 AM  
Blogger ArtsyTartsyViray said...

It truly is sad to leave a place where you feel so dedicated to. But I know that you will always find happiness in every thing you do.

I'm sure your old community will miss you just as much as you miss them!

And I'm sure going to miss those updates on Pigeon Falls.. oh no! Please don't say it's the end!!!

Have a great Friday!

7:35 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I know you are sad but I am happy because I won!!!!!! Oh, I mean I am happy because you will be closer to us, too.....Luke is already asking if you guys will be stopping in today.

I pick number 10 - the nutcracker ornaments. Of course, I am only taking this prize because I know it will mean less moving for you....just trying to do my part.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I meant to put that last comment here on this post but it seems my fat cat stepped upon my keyboard and scrolled the page down - tricking me!

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the move. You'll love it once you settle in!

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I empathize with what you feel. But I think choosing family was the right move. It would hurt worse to see your family less compared to what hurts now.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

There is always mixed feelings when moving. When I moved here 10 years ago from Nova Scotia, I knew I'd be giving up my family and friends, but I'd be closer to my Sister and family. A year later they moved to Ontario but I have decided to stay, Calgary is home now.

The old saying time heals all, and after you get settled in your new place, it won't feel so bad. And the benefit you are closer to your children and grandchildren.

Blessings to you and Betty for a happy weekend.

1:34 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

Once you begin the journey and are a few miles from the new place you will start to get excited..change is always hard but the future is bright:)
My thoughts and prayers are with you and Betty.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

You made the right choice. Family comes first and the UP will always be here to visit. You won't miss our snow or the long winters. The internet will let you keep in touch. You can check out my web cam and see the snow... not that you won't get any, just, hopefully, not as much. God Bless You Both.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

Im sure you and Betty both have sad feelings about moving away from all your friends and a town you have known for so long, but I think it will be so much better for both of you to be near your kids. You will get to spend more time together and be there for each other. It will be a blessing for both of you.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

It is ok to grieve for what you are giving up. It is only right.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

I am sure you are leaving quite an impression on Crystal Falls.

I love your saying for the day today. I think that it sums the situation up about as well as anything could.

Best of luck to you in your new location.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

Oh my sweet Dr. John i'm so sorry you heart was so sad. i wish it didn't have to be a choice but as life goes, it is and being the wonderful people you are, you made the only choice. you and Betty have given yourselfs and your family the most wonderful gift on earth, your priority. thank you. they are Blessed.
kiss your heart better.
***********
Mrs. Trumble is busy working on the future of the town. i thank her for her commiment and effort. may it work out as it should. good luck.
********************
i'm glad you are both safe in the new home. i hope the day went as smooth as possible. i look forward to reading about it tomorrow. i hope your heart is not so sad anymore. i admire you and care for you both so much. it makes me sad to think of you so sad. i hope you settle in and have a good rest. you both must be exhausted after all this work and back and forth. i hope Betty's back is alright and that now she can have some much deserve rest. pls accept my love. and would love to have your new address if you could kindly email it to me. hugs.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Penelda said...

Hello
Dad I am really glad you are here. I too miss Crystal Falls but have found the Fox Cities to be good place to live.

Welcome Home

Pennie

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home