Wednesday, August 09, 2006

So I forgot.

Saying for the Day: It is not only the old who forget to pay attention.

As I was reading news items on the nest I came across this one:
A 25-year-old American from Boston, in Hanover, Germany, for World Cup matches, was forced to report sheepishly to police that he had no idea which hotel he had checked into or where it was. According to a Reuters report, the man, reportedly sober, remembered being driven past a park and a Mercedes dealership, but since there are several of those in Hanover, police had to drive him around town for an hour until he finally recognized the building. [Reuters, 6-23-06]

It reminded me of when Betty, Pennie and I went to Disney World in Florida.
We drove in a rented car.

We had a wonderful day and then came back to the parking lot.

That’s when we discovered two things.

First we couldn’t remember which lot we parked in.

Second we couldn’t remember what the rental car looked like.
All we knew , from the keys , was that it was a Chevrolet.
So we had to wait until the parking area (three sections) that we thought we might be parked in cleared out.
Then we tried the remaining Chevrolets until we found one that took our keys.
Talk about feeling stupid.

We were so excited about the park that we forgot everything else.
We couldn’t even blame it on old age .
We were young then. So I know how the poor guy felt.

@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– The little town in my back yard with dragons and big white rabbits.– The second night of the variety show went very well. Vicky East sang again, of course. She got even more applause than the night before. Her White Rabbit in a Pink Sweater “ song brought down the house. I haven’t seen people laugh so loud in years. Just to make it more special as people came out of the theater the White Rabbit appeared on the end of the street. It waved and winked and hopped away.
Eino doesn’t know what to do about the Hermit. The company has disappeared or at least had its phone disconnected . All of the paper that tied the company to the Hermit is gone. The title to the house is still in the company name but that’s it. No crime has been committed . Technically they have no right to even enter the house. But there is that stone statue of the poor hermit who may be dead. At least he hasn’t been seen.
The Pigeon Queen candidates were announced last night. All of them from important families in town. So there will be no Cinderella Queen like last year. The poor are almost always past over . That seems to be a fact of life. It isn’t fair but Pigeon falls is not much different from other little towns in that respect.
Nancy said that Big Rudy hasn’t been in the bar for the last few days and has been seen doing all kinds of things out on the farm that his wife used to do. Maybe she does have that device. I bet a lot of wives would like to get one.
Robert’s taxi and tour business have really picked up with all the excitement. I think some people are believing his stone man story but its doubtful that its true.
****

Today's link: Candy's Life- Please remeber to put Dr. John In the comment to get multi-flavored JCPOINTS. Check your JCPOINTS HERE.
And now to the drawing. Chana was drawn yesterday. If she is drawn today she gets what's in the Prize Box. My grand daughter really wants somebody to win. So we draw and .....
the name drawn is Catch. Sorry Chana.(Sorry Bree) Good luck Catch.
Betty went to Tops. We spent the rest of the day pricing rummage. It is not that we have so much rummage, well its that too, but that we are so slow. After Saturday what's left goes to the dump or on freecycle. Esther stoped in and told us to hang in there on the house. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

20 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

Now I know why they put the "panic" button on key rings.

It looks like another beautiful day in the UP. Have a good day.

3:57 AM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

I don't think it is called stupidity or is it due to old age. It is just it really happens to anyone and it is what you call One of the day. It happened to my hubby too.

4:07 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I jumped into the wrong GMC van after going to the bank a few years ago. I had the same color van at home and forgot that I had taken the car instead that day. I even stuck my key in the ignition before I looked around and realized my mistake. The van belonged to a big brawny construction worker. Thankfully he recognized me as we seem to always go to the same bank at the same time on Friday afternoons. It was surely a "blonde" moment.

I'll have to write some lyrics for the pink sweatered bunny song today. God Bless Doc John and Betty. -Margie

5:06 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

oh my, how many times things like this have happen to me...it's not stupid, it's life, lol..and a little fun that makes heaven ones just giggle for a second or two..lol..
**********
i hope Eino finds a way out of the hermit dead end soon...Oh thanks for the 'device' line of joke,,lol..glad Rudy is being put in his place...i love it..
too bad only the rich were the only ones chosen for the Queen competition. it is ironic that it is called 'Cinderella' then...
*************
You guys have ton of work ahead of this wknd sale. i hope you are able to get it done without hurting your backs or over exhausting yourself. a hello to Pennie, hope she isn't in terrible pain. take care. hugs all around. and read you tomorrow..

ps.so glad you like the pics...i was scared of getting sea sick too, so i got some gravol but never needed them...the rocking was somewhat noticable even in such a huge ship but it was doable with no effort..

5:14 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I once hopped in the back seat, keys in hand, instead of the front seat as I was getting ready to drive off somewhere- the kids absolutely howled and it took a long long time for them to forget mom's momentary senility.

6:03 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Being gone all day is understandable. It is when you just run into the store to get a few things and come back out and cant remember.

6:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sisters-in-law and I took all our kids to Disney World when they were little and did the same thing. 95 degrees, 4 tired, crying kids and 1 lost car. Not a good scene.

6:16 AM  
Blogger jac said...

Drifted in from Karin, right after seeing your comment on religion

Is it a carnival that you are writing about ?

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes the story is false you should but My friends blog as a link she needs comments she just started her own blog. TCOB

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How funny thats funny that story Ha Ha HA

7:27 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Dr. John, when I was still a small town spring chicken my friend and I went to LA, rented a car, and lost it dang near everytime we went somewhere. We were so intent on what was next we kept forgetting to pay attention to what was now.

7:57 AM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

gO TO MY BLOG AND CLICK ON DANNY FANTOM PICTURE AND THAT WILL TAKE YOU TO MY FRIENDS BLOG.

8:16 AM  
Blogger starbender said...

Hahaaa.... I think we have all done foolish things like that! I went 2 a concert once, and had 2 wait 'til everyone left 2 find my car! ....alright, maybe the party favors had a little 2 do with it!

On the other hand, I came out of a store once, got into my car, and my key no longer fit my ignition!!!
Imagine how embarrassing when I realized it only looked exactly like MY CAR!!!
:o

8:48 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

haha...that is funny Dr John.....sometimes when Im in Walmart and I come out and I cant remember where I parked...lol. Then one day ( a long time ago) my Mother and I were both in our local grocery store...when we came out Mom got in my car.....lol...I said..Mom your car is right over there!!! She had forgotten she had come by herself...lol

9:10 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

From reading all the comments, it sounds like this is a common occurrance.

I can picture you three being all happy at Disneyworld.

Now with the handicapp signs, it is a bit easier to remember where we park.

10:39 AM  
Blogger kristi said...

I have lost my car many of times, theme parks are the worst, you can never remember those lot names and numbers. I think the story about the soccer fan was hilarious, I could only imagine being lost in a foreign country

12:36 PM  
Blogger Cherlee's said...

I sorta had something like happen to me about 15 years ago. I was with my ex mother-in-law shopping and I got tired of waiting for her. So I went outside to find the car. I found the car got in sat there for about 10 mins then an older gentleman open the driverside sat down with a look of shock seeing me sitting there. As I must of had the same look of shock my face.

Then he finally spoke and ask why was I in his car!!! I was speechless! Finally I found my words said I was truly sorry as I was getting out of the car my ex mother-in-law saw me and asked the same as the man did. Then she realized why I made the mistake cause two cars down was her's and they were the same color make and model the only differents was inside she had something hanging from the mirror and the other car didn't. I was truly horrified. But I find it funny now! lol

2:51 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

You are in good company. A ton of people have gotten lost there.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

I've definitely lost my car a few times...but never for very long. Although I do have a silly story about something I did about 15 years ago. We lived in a planned development where there were only about 5 house styles to chose from. I drove up to one...same color and style as my house and tried to get in and couldn't figure out why my key didn't work. Finally one of the owners came to the door, with her phone in her hand ready to call the police! I was about 7 houses away from mine...Blush. Needless to say, we don't live in a planned development anymore.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

Oh my, I wonder does this kind of thing happen often?...................years ago, I went to Monterey with a girlfriend, she had rented the car, so I didn't pay attention to details. When we came out after shopping the CAR WAS GONE. We called the police......they came took a report, and drove us to our motel room. About 2am the police knocked on the door, it seems that after the parking lot and cleared out, there in the middle of the lot was our car. I say the thief brought it back, THAT CAR WASN'T there.......haha We literally went up and down each isle looking before we called the police. hmmmmmmmm maybe we just forgot what it looked like?

We felt kind of funny in front of the police when they drove us down to get the car.

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home