Sunday, August 06, 2006

Grief step one.

Saying for the Day:Grief is the process of moving from one chapter in our life to another.

As I promised last Sunday every Sunday for the next ten Sundays I will be writing about the ten steps in grieving. Those ten steps according to Granger Westeberg are:
1. Shock
2. Emotion
3. Depression
4. Physical pain
5. Fear or panic
6. Guilt
7. Anger
8. We function poorly
9. The breaking in of hope
10. The start of the new life
The first thing that happens to most people at the start of the grieving process is that they go into shock.
For a time the world seems unreal.
They don’t feel anything.
They walk around in a daze.

Now this can last from fifteen minutes to a couple of days.
The time is different from person to person.

During this time the mind accepts the fact that George has died , or the house is gone with all the old treasures, or the job you held for thirty years is no more.
During this period people say things like “ It doesn’t seem real”. “ I feel like I’m in a fog”. “ I don’t even remember going to the funeral home.”

The mind needed time to handle the pain of the event without falling apart.
Shock acts like the shock absorber on the car.
It keeps the bumps from destroying us or causing great harm to us.

I believe God built this protection into us.
Little by little as we are ready to go on the shock lessens and we are ready for the next step.

@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– The little town in my backyard where the trains still run.– Well they talked Robert into telling his story in the Liar’s Club contest and he took the place of Emily Watkins who dropped out. Robert was the only one of that days contestants to go on to the next round and here is his story.
“ I have to swear you all to secrecy before I can tell you this story. You see I am a member of the NHPQ , a government agency so secret I am not allowed to tell you what the initials stand for. Okay! Everybody has promised. I have to warn you if you do talk about this you may get a late night visit and you won’t be seen again. The government sent one of their top scientists here to Pigeon Falls to work on a top secret experiment and I was directed to assist him. This experiment was right out of Star Trek . We were working on teleportation. If we could get it right we could move soldiers in an out of war zones without trucks or tanks or whatever. So you can see how important this is. We set up the equipment and ran an early test in which we moved a dog from the living room to the shack in the back. It worked perfectly. It did. The dog wasn’t hurt in any way. Then we put a pink sweater on big stuffed white rabbit and teleported it to the top of the Masonic building, where it was seen. We then used the same machine to bring it back. It worked perfectly as well. In town it looked like the rabbit just disappeared. So we were ready for the ultimate experiment . Dr. Henry decided to go himself and I ran the controls. I sent him out to the railroad station. He contacted me by cell phone that he had made it. I then set the machine on return but just as I hit the button this huge bolt of lightning struck. Much to my horror
there was the good Doctor sitting in the chair but turned to stone. The machinery melted down and I didn’t know what to do. I contacted the agency and they said they would take care of it. But before the crew came Eino busted in and so now they have to find some way to explain away the stone man. Now the stone man himself is proof that what I’m telling you is the truth. But remember that you had better not tell anybody.”
Well that’s Robert’s story and he is sticking with it.
Nancy said that the neighbors saw Big Rudy hanging up the laundry and some say he even washed it. There is a rumor that his wife has some kind of device that she got off the internet through a person named Chana.
****

Today's link is : Sky Tower - Remeber to put the words Dr. John in the comment to get the even less usefull JCPOINTS. Check your total HERE.
Now on to today's drawing . Yesterday we drew Catch. If we draw her again she gets what's in the prize box . Betty is drawing. The name drawn is Andrena. Sorry Catch ( Sorry Brea , I know you want somebody to win but not today) But if Andrena's name is drawn tomorrow her parsonage will have a Christmas train. Good luck Andrena.
We went to Chur ch this morning. We had a guest preacher and he was okay. In the afternoon we went grocery shoping. Then I worked on blog magnets and all. My daughter called and said she fell down and injured her arm again. Life is hard sometimes. I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

12 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

thank you for writting about this topic. i believe that is something that will help many in many different areas.
i shall try to listen carefully and learn.
*********
Robert's story is, to me, an explanation for the hermits whereabouts, and the rabbit and all the other weirdenss in town. maybe i have been had by a great liar, but i think it's no lie at all. wonder what Eino has to say about it now?

thank you for the nice treat of putting the remote control in the story. that is beyond kind and it made my day. poor Rudy finally got put in his placed..i betcha his wife is delighted...he, he,...
***********
i can understand Bree hoping somebody wins..but suspence continues.
i hope you have a great day. take care and have some fun. read you tomorrow. thank you for the mention again. hugs to Betty.

5:02 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

(GASP!!) You weren't supposed to talk about or tell anybody of this secret organization the NHPQ!!

What would we do if they come in the night and swipe our dear friend, perhaps leaving a stone Doc John in your place?

You can't blog then! Oh my! -Margie

6:36 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I believe I went through these stages when I went through my divorce but I am not supposed to talk about that time in my life.

6:55 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

I recall the first three days after my grandmother's death (she raised me) more like dream than memory -- very surreal.

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Stone Man Huh. Yah yah I Don't
Belive it. WIN Win okay I never win any Way

7:45 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Grief and grieving comes from attachment

u lose the person or ting u r attached to

u grieve
i wont grieve if Mich marries PUGS

i love Karen too
and Kathy
and Kate

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr John
Psssstttt



sex sells
u get more hits if u sex up yr posts

8:02 AM  
Blogger Kev Brown said...

Excellent post, about a topic many people may not entirely understand.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

You know Dr. John, after worship services this morning someone asked me quite cheerfully if I was ready to return to work. I looked up at her and totally shocked myself by bursting onto tears. I am greiving and did not even know it.

For two years I team taught with an outstanding, energetic new teacher. On the last day of school this year he and his wife stepped into a moving truck and left forever. The two of them were a marginal part of my life outside work, so I've not missed them this summer, but the thought of returning to work without them is almost too painful to bear.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

Late last night my husband sent me an email from the basement, where his HP office is located. His boss back in 1993, Lori Maycock passed away from Ovarian cancer. We like Lori a lot, she was one of those unforgetable people. I am still in shock. She was younger than I. All last night I kept thinking I was in a dream....today when I came to the computer the message was still there. So I guess it is true. And then this post, like you reading my mind.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter injuring her arm again! After all she went through with that arm!

6:40 PM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

This is a very well said post. I myself do believe in grieving. When my dad passed away all we did was grieve. Nothing seemed to matter but grieving. He didn't seem to be gone especially on his wake. It was only after he was cremated that I realized that he was really really gone. However, life had to go one and because I have accepted the change, life really did go on even without him.

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home