Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Internship -sort of.

Saying for the day: You can learn more by doing something than you can by just hearing about it.

We reach into the artifact box and out comes a church bulletin from St. mark’s Lutheran Church in Waukegan, Illinois my weekend internship parish.

Two things during my time in seminary had a greater impact on my ministry than the seminary and its program.
One was the time I spent with Pastor Kirsons and the other was my dual internship.

In the summer I put a multiple church parish together and during the year I worked oin weekends with Dr. Bob Hetico, a giant of a man.

The summer internship put me in charge of three churches.
Each of these churches had been a satellite church to a bigger congregation and my task was to see if they could be put together to form a viable parish.
I was to preach in all three churches every Sunday and to visit every home.
Here I learned that I was not nearly as good as I had thought I was.
Here I learned that dogs don’t always like pastors nor do horses.
Here I learned , as Luther learned , that preaching doesn’t make much of an impact on the daily life of most people.
I also learned the real value of listening to people and keeping in mind what I heard as I studied the text for the next Sunday.
Anchor the sermon in the Word but let it speak to people where they are (Kirson’s advice).
It was a good three months of constant learning.

The Saturday internship was different.
Here I worked under a supervisor who was one truly great Pastor.
From him I learned about the parish .
I learned that God doesn’t mind a little humor.
I learned a lot of other things as well .

Its good that now the church requires a full year of internship.

Because of my two internships I was much better prepared to begin my own ministry.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– The little town in my backyard where dragons fly free.– Eino called the company in Chicago yesterday. The lady that answered said that she didn’t know of any project in Pigeon Falls bbut the man who was in charge of off premise projects was gone until Thursday. He might know. So Eino has to wait.
Well of the four people who were in the Lion’s Club preliminary yesterday only one is going on. Two of them averaged 7 points, one averaged 8 points, and one averaged 9. ( Nine being needed to go on) That was Jonathan Maki’s father, Bill. This is his story.

"Some years ago, before we ever saw a dragon on main street I was out in the pasture with Bossie the cow I raised from a calf. Bossie was one great cow. She gave more milk than any other cow I owned . My kids loved her too . She really seemed to like the attention. Well I was in the pasture and had started in toward the barn when suddenly this figure appeared in the sky. Well! First I thought it was a big bird, maybe and Eagle. But as it got closer I realized it was a big green dragon spewing fire. I have to tell you I had never seen anything like that before in my life. Then I realized it was going after Bossie. I tried to scare it away by throwing rocks but I have to tell you big green dragons are not scared of little guys throwing rocks. So I picked up a big stick and went out to protect Bossie. I felt like a Knight of old rising up to defend the castle. As it got closer, however, the heat became to much and I turned and ran for the house. I know a good Knight would never have done that but I remembered I was a farmer not A Knight. As I turned and looked it swooped down and Bossie became fire broiled roast beef which the dragon grabbed in his mouth and flew off with. I was, of course, devastated. But until now I have never told anybody because I was afraid they would think I was crazy. But now that other people are seeing dragons I can tell about it. If you don’t believe me I can show you the patch in the field that the dragon burned as nothing will grow there even now."

He did such a good job telling this story that some of the judges thought that it might have really happened. Now there’s a liar for you.
****

The Link For today is Reflections Unlimited. Remeber to put the words Dr. John in your comment to get those beloved JCPOINTS ( prefered by English Dragons over all other points).
While your in a commenting mood leave me one as well. Check your JCPOINTS HERE
Yesterday we drew Catch's name and if we draw it today she wins what's in the prize box. She has the most JCPOINTS and the best odds. But today's name is Cindy. Sorry Catch. If we draw Cindy tomorrow she gets what's in the JCPOINTS prize box.
We finished teh back room in ther basement. Tomorrow Betty takes the garbage to the dump. She spent some time loading the garbage into the car. I did the August website for the Church. My daughter called to vent about work. My sister Dawn called to see if the house was sold yet. Of course, it isn't. Well I need a brrathing treatment.
GBYA

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like you learned some very valuable lessons during your internships. I can see their influence even now.

Great story. I heard someone say once that if you put a grain of truth in any story people will believe it. So a bit of "truth" must be the secret.

The curiosity of what happened to the hermit is still killing me.

5:38 AM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Thanks for visiting. Yes! my dad was a very special person and indeed has a very special place in heart.

6:25 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Dragons fly free. Sounds like a line for an airline. Does Pigeon Falls have an airport?

7:41 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

As a certified Lay Speaker for the UMC, I lead worship and give the message at least once every 4 to 6 weeks. As a youth evangelist I lead services weekly. I, too, have learned the value of humor and reaching people where they live.

I am wondering about having a Liar's Club in Pigeon Falls: the town where life is already stranger than fiction.

8:00 AM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

I hope cindy win's or you pick me.
Win somebody .

8:12 AM  
Blogger Bella said...

It sounds like Bill has watch Dragonheart one too many times. Maybe someone could convince him to make a fire proof sheild out of dragon scales. It would be interesting to find out what he would use for "dragon scales". He's gotta come up with better proof than his word, right?

WOW! Your internship must have been intense, being in charge of three churches. it sounds like the "truly great Pastor" lived up to your words. ;)

8:48 AM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Those internships sound like they did a lot of preparation for you. If ANYTHING can prepare you for ministry. There is so much out there that you cannot be prepared for. I think in many ways seminaries, Bible colleges, aren't doing everything they should be doing to teach students about what really faces them. The life of a pastor these days is a hard road. Sometimes that isn't laid out plainly enough.
We have an entire ministry for pastors who have been displaced, wounded or even terrorized by their congregations. It is amazing the statistics...
Enough rambling.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

i didn't realize how busy Pastors must be. It's way beyond a 9-5 job of course but i never had given it much thought..you worked very hard and in turn Betty too...and you still raised such a beautiful family. what a tribute to your own teachings...

it's great that God gives us these little or big, as the case was here, angels to guide us and help us alond the way. He is always with us. i must remember that much more. thank you.
********
it is hard to wait for much longer for answers of the hermit. poor Eino, like me the anticipation must be hard...what a mystery!!!

i hope that guy was lying. poor cow. yummy meal for that dragon though.
*****************
Lisa is all i know of the author of that poem. I was just reading poems and quotes and i found it and loved it. it seem to fit where i am and always have been in my life. whoemever Lisa is, she spoke from her heart and read mine too. she is very talented.
i thank you for your kinds words too. you guys are a very important part of my life. you and your family are very much in my heart.

hope the packing is going well. take care and read you tomorrow.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Indeed Dr. John. The same message or sermon can be applied to individuals in complete different ways.

As a pastor the best thing to do is lay the word of God on the buffet table. Let God do the rest in each heart.

Pass the string beans please? -Margie

11:12 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

Ohhhh ( stomping up and down )...I knew it wouldnt come up 2 days in a row, but I am ok Dr John...I got a few new presents today so that helped...lol

1:24 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Pastors listen??????(Hey, you said leave a comment, so I did).

You know I think you are the best there is when it comes to sermons not mention being a Grandpa. How many kids can say their grandpa has his own railroad garden????

I hope you g et the basement done soon. Are you ready for us to come and take another load? Breanna is already asking....

3:14 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

I don't know why, but it never ocurred to me that ministers have to worry about dogs. Now I know. :)

3:18 PM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Was just wondering....has the marathon started? Where do I go?

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home