Saturday, July 22, 2006

Out go the memories

Saying for the day: The day is coming when your memories will be all you have.

We are going through the agony of getting ready to move to a smaller house.

Over the years we have saved a lot of things that were not of any real use but they were filled with memories.
WE kept them because when we would hold them or look at them the event would come flooding back and we could relive something that was important.

But to hold on to memories like that you have to have room and we won’t have it in the new house.
So some of our memories have to go to the garbage and some to rummage.

Here is a rocking horse I had as a child, my kids rode on it, my grandkids rode it.
But it is old and it takes up space and all my children have rocking horses that they can pass along.
So we have to give it up. Hi Ho Silver away.

Here is a toy farm.
It has animals and a tractor and a big red barn.
My kids played with it and even broke some pieces that are long gone.
My grandkids played with it when they visited.
But they all have toy farms of their own now.
It has to go . Good by Bossie.

Here is a little , badly built, end table (sort of) .
I built it in wood shop for my mother. She pretended to love it.
It is not worth anything.
It doesn’t fit in anywhere.
It has to go.
Well I only got a c+ on it anyway.

Here is my old fishing hat but I don’t fish anymore.
In the garbage it goes and with it all my fish stories.

I could go on and on but its just too sad.
Its part of the angst of moving.
It has to be.

@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– the little town in my backyard– The rehearsal dinner from last night will not soon be forgotten. Bof’s went all out and served family style. They even hired a couple of waiters and put them in fancy clothes. Every bit of food was carried out on covered platters. Then the waiter brought in a huge platter and put it in the middle of the table. “The chicken is served”, he announced. He lifted the lid and a live chicken jumped out. People screamed and the bride looked like she was going to cry. That’s when Jonathan grabbed the chicken put the cover back over it and said “ Take this back to the cook it’s a bit underdone” . Everybody broke up laughing as the waiter left with the chicken. It seems the former team mates of Jonathan had set up this little trick but Jonathan took the wind out of their sales. The real chicken platter followed and everything went very well. What will they try next.
The White Rabbit returned yesterday . It was seen at the railroad station and out by the old Timmonen place. People seem almost relieved to hear that its alive. I wonder if its been hiding from the dragon.
Speaking of the dragon I wonder what happened to it. It still hasn’t returned.
Pete and Eino caught some fish but they didn’t see any swimming rabbits white or otherwise. Lori was taking pictures of the reception and got a good picture of the chicken. She thinks they will look at that in the album years from now and laugh.
Robert is glad the White Rabbit is back as its good for his tour business even if his isn’t the real White Rabbit.
****

Link for today- Socks and Kittens-Remember to put Dr. John in the comment to get usless JCPOINTS. Check on your JCPOINTS HERE.
Spent most of the day working on the study and shredding papers. Now I could get a job as an assistant to a politician. We have another walk through by a perspective buyer on Monday.
Went to church this evening. United was celebrating Christmas in July. It was great singing Christmas carols and thinkink of the meaning of Christmas without all the hassle of the December holiday. Then we went grocery shopping. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's got to be so hard to do. I come from a long line of savers and even though I don't save to the same extent the rest of them do (they save EVERYTHING and think I have a missing gene) I do keep all the sentimental stuff and it kills me to part with any of it. Good luck.

5:00 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

The momentos may have to go, Dr. John, but I promise the memories will remain. I remember when my Grandmother died and the family desended like vultures upon our home. It was a horrible scene and they stripped it like locusts, not caring that my cousin and I were still to live there.

We did not stay, either. It hurt too much to sit in those bare, empty rooms -- but in my mind those rooms aren't void of life. As I step through the doors I see African Violets crowded on the window sills; I can hear the old clock ticking in the corner; the little glass dogs are crowded together on the curio shelf; and Gram's chair is right where it belongs, with her novel on one side, and her Bible and her crocheting on the other.

If I listen hard enough I can even hear Gram out in the klitchen. If its Monday we'll have meat loaf and baked potatoes, and the volley ball team will be eating with us before we go off to our match.

Twenty-nine years ago Dr. John, and its all still right here -- yet the only thing I was allowed to remove from my grandmother's home that did not already belong to me was a feather pillow from her bed.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

OH, that is sad. Especially the horse...that made me sad. We've moved so many times that I have almost become numb to purging old stuff. It's hell on my husband though.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

good morning sir.

that is hardbreaking, letting go of the treasured items of your life. i don't think i could do it. i realized you have no choice but i don't think i could....
i feel for you both. i'm sorry.
**********
the dinner sounds hillarious...i can only imagine that happening. dinner is served and a chicken flys out..lol...poor bride..lol...can only wait to see what happens next. i'm glad that the wonderful photographer Lori got some good pics of that chicken, lol...the bride may not think so now but someday she will enjoy the pics.
glad that the fishing went well.
*******************
hope you all are not overtired yet. hope Pennie's hand is doing well. hugs to Lori and Betty. pls thank Betty for another kind and loving comment. take care and read you tomorrow. be careful with the heat and your health.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Bring them along. Let them sit in the middle of the living room floor. Wont be long before you will find the memories themselves are whats important to keep.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

I too have such a hard time parting with things that have good memories with them. Thats why my garage is so full there is no room for my cars. All of my friends say.."why dont you have a yard sale?"..I say " are you kidding? this is my stuff!"

The live chicken was pretty funny! Im glad Lori got pictures...they will enjoy them in later years.

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's tough isn't it?

If I had my way, I would still have every book I was ever given or bought.

But then I am a total bookworm!

2:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, no, I can't even finish reading this . . .

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home