Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Seminary Shock

Saying for the Days: Things never turn out the way you expect.

Back to the artifact box. Now we have my letter of acceptance to seminary and it reminds me of how I almost gave up.

I had resisted the temptation of money, I had my father’s permission and I finally got to Seminary.

Now I expected Seminary to be like a monastery.
There would be lots and lots of prayer and bible reading.
I expected the teachers to be very pious as I perceived piety.

I assumed they would help me to prove to those who didn’t believe that Jesus was indeed the true God and the Bible was without error.

Seminary was not at all like I expected.
In fact I went into what I suppose one could call seminary shock.
There was very little prayer.
There was almost no devotional bible reading.
There was very little piety of any kind.
There was drinking and swearing .

The instructors seemed to go out of their way to tear down what I believed.
The bible did not seem to be very important.

In the midst of this shock came the letter from my one true love telling me it was all over.

By the end of the first month I was so depressed I considered throwing it in and going home.
I had fought to get there and now I had to fight with myself to stay.

Next week God sends help.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– the little town in my backyard– well there have been no white rabbit sightings and no dragon. The pigeons are all doing fine so I stopped in to Nancy’s for a cup of coffee.
Nancy says the excitement in Pigeon Falls this week is the upcoming wedding of Elizabeth Beth Periwinkle and Jonathan H. Maki. There are weddings and then there are WEDDINGS. This is a WEDDING. Certainly you remember Jonathan. He was senior class President two years ago as well as a basketball and football star. Elizabeth was the Job’s daughters Queen and Pigeon Queen a few years back. The town loves this couple. Her church is the Methodist and his the Lutheran. Both pastors are going to do the wedding. Because of the size it will be held at the Lutheran Church. Relatives are coming from all over the place and you can’t get a room this weekend up to thirty miles away. This is going to be the wedding of the year.
Rumor has it that his former team mates are planning a few surprises for the couple. This is the same group that beeped the volunteer fireman out of his own wedding ceremony to a fake fire so you can‘t be sure what they‘ll do.
In other notes. The noise at the Chicago hermit’s place is getting louder in the evening and the light flashes more frequent. Robert hopes it will last all summer because it adds color to his tour. It also lets him use the term possible Frankenstein with a straight face. One hopes Frankenstein doesn’t show up at the wedding. But this is Pigeon falls after all.
****

Today's link-Tiny Happy- Please remekber to put the words Dr. John in the comment to get those crazy DR.John JCPOINTS. And now the winners of yesterday's almost unwanted prizes ( a little drum role) are Catch (341 points) and Honey(114 points).
We kept working. The real estate agency called. They had some one coming to see the house at 1:45. Well we tried to be ready. They came at 2:00 and we went to lunch. So I don't know if they liked it or not. When we got back we continued working. We also mailed out the JCPOINTS prizes. It was a good day. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

15 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Sounds like you might have gone to seminary with my brother. :-)

4:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The news about the hermit reminds me of the Tom Hanks movie "The Burbs." Very funny if you haven't seen it.

5:10 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

I agree with mimi. I have to wonder if their challenging your faith was part of the programme and test. Maybe there is was also the lesson in that we should not expect but accept what is and work with it. Isn't that how life is :)

Still, what a shock and how scary it must have felt.

5:59 AM  
Blogger kristi said...

I have just caught up on my Pigeon Falls readings, I have been really busy this weekend. A dragon in Pigeon Falls......I knew those rabbits were fake on the tour I called it long ago!!!

As for your seminary story, I think you went in thinking that being a pastor you were not allowed to have fun and live life but by the seminary being totally not what you thought it allowed you to feel at ease.

6:00 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

i love your artifact box stories. how sad and dissapointed you sound at this particular time. the nice thing to know is that we know how to story ends. that the love of your life comes back to you and that you end up being a fantastic Pastor.
*********
Pigeons, dragons, rabbits...i like the mix. lol....can't wait to read more of the wedding. it sounds beautiful and those friends of the groom will definetely make it fun.
***************
glad that things are coming along in the moving. glad you have help. pls becareful and don't over do it.
have yourself a great day and take care. read you tomorrow.

6:03 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

hello. i have tried a few times to go to the link and nothing...hope it comes up for me in a bit..

6:18 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Dr. John, I have heard pastor's say that semenary challenges every belief they'd ever had in the Bible. I guess the good thing is that is by the time you finish, you know what you believe, and why.

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A big house on the hill. Strange lights at night. I recommend a movie from 2000, "Saving Grace." If you haven't seen it, go to Blockbusters and rent it.

Sue

8:18 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

You have given me an idea! You have Pigeon Falls, white rabbits and some other intriguing phenomena but I realized this morning that we have something unique in our neck of the woods too-- we have Ralph Bucky Phillips! And he's still on the loose...

9:42 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

I won!!!! Oh I am so excited Dr John...I love winning and I love prizes ( who cares if they are useless) I give my brother and sister in law oone of my useless cards you sent me last night! lol

I cant wait to hear of this big weddinf coming up!!!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

excuse me...I seem to be so excited I cant even type!

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"fighting and swearing"?

Surely not.

Sounds like some English pubs I know.

Unfortunately.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Chris Beason said...

What exactly is the purpose of seminary? To get all the things you shouldn't do out of your system before you become a preacher?

I love the reactions of the people who we're leaving comments for! I know it would have made my day to get a ton of comments!

3:21 PM  
Blogger Chris Beason said...

Catch reminded me...if I haven't told you already..thank you so much for my blog cards!!! I really like them and even wanted some before I realized that's what they were!!

3:22 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Thank you for the link you gave us today. I love crafting and will bookmake her blog. Good work!

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home