Tuesday, July 11, 2006

A big temptation

Saying for the Day: Money isn't everything and less may be more.

We reach into the artifact box and out comes a contract from a leading company that offers me a salary of $40,000.
Its there to remind me that God never called me to be rich.

At this point in our story of my journey to becoming a pastor I have my dad’s permission if not his blessing and everything is going well

I transfer from Michigan Tech to Northern and because of the extra credits I took at Tech I graduate in the middle of the year.
I could not enter seminary until the following fall so I had to decide what to do in that open time.

Just for fun I interviewed with a couple of companies looking for people with a mathematics background.
They were impressed and one offered me a job and a $40,00 salary.

My dad said you ought to take it.
You can go to seminary after a few years of making money.

It was a terrible temptation $40,000 now or $3900 when I graduated from seminary.
I knew I was being called but would God mind a little $40,000 side trip?

Two things kept me from taking the job.
I was afraid I didn’t have the strength of character to come back once I started living on $40,000 a year (lots of money then).
Secondly I was in love with Betty and didn’t want to leave her.

So I entered into a master’s degree program and stayed at Northern.

I have never regretted that decision .

Next week seminary shock.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– the little town in my backyard– The Pigeon Falls day committee put up a suggestion box. Somebody suggested they have a rabbit cook off contest and offered a recipe for deviled rabbit. Somebody else suggested a battle of the bands . Further suggestions included Pin The Tail on the Rabbit, and toss the bunny. There were something like sixty suggestions and they are all being looked at. It could be a real great Pigeon Festival.
Well last night was a wild one. The white rabbit showed up in three places at the same time. Robert’s tour group was waiting for the rabbit in fron of the fire station when it suddenly appeared on the roof of the Masonic building. Then it was on the fire station. Then at the end of the street. One could see the rabbit in all three places. Suddenly they were all gone. Robert swears he knows nothing about the rabbit on the Masonic building. In the morning Eino went up and looked and found what looked like wheel tracks and scratches at the roof edge. There were crushed bushes down below.
Mrs. Trumble wants to call in the army before there are as many white rabbits as pigeons. You know how rabbits multiply.
Now that the pigeons are back and doing their thing people are not quite as happy to see them as they were yesterday. Frank had to clean the pigeon statue twice today.
Nancy says people are trying out their liars club stories on her and there are going to be some pretty good ones this year. She hasn’t heard any as good as the pasty eating bear yet but there is lots of time.
****

The link for today is High Jinx. Please remeber to put the words Dr. John in your comment to get JCPOINTS. And please leave me a comment too.
The winners of yesterdays JCPOINT drawing are ( little drum roll) Mimi and Friday's Child. Congratulations. You will soon have a pricless JC prize.
Lois on the Web has a picture of my house and Pigeon Falls in her latest entry. You have to scroll down to get to them but they are there.
Well I have felt a bit better today so I got some things done. I printeed out all the June blog entries for my computer hating sister who likes to read them. I mailed the blog cards and one navy statue . I am waiting for the regular mail address of the other one. Betty and I started the living room clean up. It is going to be a pain. I talked to Di-Tech about a loan and found out that the fact this is a duplex is going to be a problem. They want a 20% down payment. Life goes on.Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

11 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

I knew the residents werent so happy about the pigeons. Now they are going to have to rewrite their song.

Not to worry on the link for the BotB contest. There are times I wish he would try harder to get a real job.

6:21 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I know what you mean about taking a job and getting used to the money. A fellow co-worker asked me to apply for a job with the city planning office where I had interned for the summer. It started at $33,000. But, I was going to school for graphic design and really wanted to do that, Plus if I would have taken the job I would have been used to the money and not wanted to quit to be a stay at home mom. At it was, the job I was at I made very little so it was easier to quit once Breanna was born.

Pete and I took the virtual tour of the Neenah place and it looks wonderful. I am praying everything works out.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Matthew May said...

Is'nt it possible that the job could have come available for you, for some purpose? :) Often times when opportunities come by it gives us another way to be a light to the world and if you can make money doing it then all the better. :)

7:56 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

Did Mimi win the sailor???? I hope so....

I can imagine what a decision it was for you about the job....but it all worked out in the end. You have a wonderful wife and family so obviously you made the right decision.

I am hoping since I have the most JC points I am going to win a car!!! I like those escalades...;))

9:39 AM  
Blogger Chris Beason said...

It never fails when I let money be a deciding factor, whatever it is, is only good temporarily.

Thank you for the birthday wishes and I'm sure I would have been delighted to hear you sing! Come to think of it, you would have been the only one that sang it to me!

10:26 AM  
Blogger starbender said...

Dr. John--
I received my Pigeon Falls Angel
today.
She is beautiful!!!
I will treasure her 4~ever!
Thanx
:)

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's true, money's not everything.

12:08 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

What does money matter when you have the love of a beautiful woman:)

3:23 PM  
Blogger kristi said...

Ewww....Rabbit to eat???? I do not think that would attract alot of people to a festival. If the rabbits do not stop multiplying, Pigeon Falls will have to be called Rabbit Creek!!!!

As for the 40,000 a year job, you should never take a job because it pays good, you have to do what makes you happy even if the pay is low


Grrr...Congrats to Mimi on her win!!!! Oh yes and congratulations to Friday's Child

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The love of a good woman is priceless. You obviously made the right decision.

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John,

I am glad to hear you are feeling better.

I loved the artifact box. Thank you for posting that bit of info. If I may ask -- how is it you have access to news stories from 8006?

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home