Saturday, July 08, 2006

Me and art

Saying for the Day: Art was meant to be seen and not understood.

A number of the blogs I visit every day are done by artists of one kind or another, like W.J.St. Christopher.

I like the pictures they post but I always feel like I am missing whatever it is they wanted me to see in the picture.

I feel like Charlie Brown in an old Peanuts cartoon strip.
He and Linus and Lucy are lying on their back looking up at the sky.
Charlie asks what they see and they give him very detailed complex answers like “The stoning of Stephen”.
Then they ask Charlie what he saw and he says “ I was going to say a ducky and a horsy but now “

That’s me the ducky and horsy guy.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– the little town in my back yard– Nancy says that the latest theory on why there are no pigeons is that the Chicago hermits strange machines are putting out some kind of magnetic force that is keeping them out. I guess one theory is as good as another.
Frank, who is now cleaning the town street, was asked “Why after all these years of driving the old truck did you buy a Cadillac . His answer was that just once in his life he wanted something nice. That’s why those pigeons got him so mad.
The local radio station got somebody to record the Pigeon Falls song because the pigeons are gone again. They play it three or four times a day.page 28 july05
Tommy, the undertaker’s kid, said he was up to Crippled Creek and he saw the white rabbit swimming in the lake. He said the little chicken was sitting on his head. That’s the farthest from town the rabbit has been seen.
Robert’ s taxi and a tour business has picked up somewhat thanks to the White Rabbit and the Hermit. The publicity has brought a few more tourists to town so everybody is happy.
****

Todays link is A Day in the Life . Please remember to put Dr. John in the comment to get silly JC points. To check on JCpoint totals click here. . Taled to my daughter several times today. This buyinmg a house together is not easy. She wants to go into more debt than I think reasonable. I spent most of the day either sleeping or watching television as the bug is still hitting the stomach. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

12 Comments:

Blogger kristi said...

Dr. John, art is whatever you make of it, I am sure that the artist has one view and that they looker will always have another interpretation. I like looking at all of the art pages that you have sent us too, most of all Jafabrit's she has some intriguing things on her page.

As for Pigeon Falls....where are those darn pigeons. And I am starting to think that there are not 2 rabbits that Robert stages them on the roofs to build up taxi business!!!

4:42 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

I think I would prefer seeing the ducky and horsy.

Vote for The Good Ones here.
http://www.kdwb.com/pages/promotions/saturngig/vote.html

Janet -- Dr of Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained -- and mom of a band member.

6:00 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

I agree with Kristi. I don't create work with the intent of making people see something particular. Even work that has a particular meaning behind it for me doesn't mean I intend that meaning for you. Like Kristi said: "art is whatever you make of it" Oh thanks for the compliment Kristi.
Hum, yes about those bunnies and taxi biz, me thinks there might be a connection.

6:57 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Artists need people like you to state the obvious.

Hope you are feeling better.

Funny I was going to blog about art today as well but now I will wait until tomorrow.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Cissa Fireheart said...

The beautiful think about art is it expands our own minds. What the artist ties to convey is not necessarily a picture, it can sometimes be to protest his bfeelings on political subjects, express his joy of life, or simply have people question their own perceptions of reality. Me personally? I like art that is pleasing to look at and shows a little of what the artist felt about their life when they created it.

But I am like you most of the time too. I see the duck, I see the horse, and then I think of positive experiences I have had with both kinds of animals....that's me though, I am kind of wierd! LOL

Dr. Cissa Fireheart

7:26 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Hey Dr. John, the Planet Named Janet sent me. I, too, am an artist and sometimes I get other artists' work and sometimes I don't. But that's ok. As long as we keep making art and so others can ponder, that's the important thing.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Chris Beason said...

I didn't use to like art until I started looking at it for not what the meaning was, but how it made me feel which is something that is sometimes hard to express into words.

I'm having a joyful day by the way!

11:17 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

I heard from a friend who grew up in Iron Mountain that there is an area out there that does have lights eminating from it. No one knows why and apparently no one has dared to find out. Strange things up in those northwoods.

Janet
Doctor of Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained.

12:49 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

The thing that attracts me to a painting(for example) is always the color.It can be abstract or a landscape but its the colors contained within that clicks with me...
Hope your feeling better.I hate tummy bugs!

2:59 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

My artist talent lends itself more to writing. There I have some knowledge. With visual art what I usually have is awe.

Dr. John, thank you so much for directing people to my blog. I have never had so much traffic in one day!

How do you collect the points to keep track of them? I am asking because I had folks posting all over my blog, not just on the most recent entry. Do you need help from me rounding them up?

Charlene

4:45 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Dr. John -- to repay your courtesy I have featured you on my blog -- don't worry, I don't get half the traffic you do, so you shouldn't be swamped.

Thanx again!

Charlene

7:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, it seems I missed something important, here.

Dr. John, I really appreciate that you take the time to view my work, and it doesn't matter to me what you see in it -- if anything. Usually, the response I'm happy with is something like, "Wow...!"

Really, for me it's 99% about color and form (usually, in that order). Rarely will anyone be able to pull politics, religion, or current events out of my work. What you see is, almost always, what you get.

So just come over, have a look, and, for pete's sake, don't think so hard!

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home