Thursday, June 29, 2006

True Family Stories Sometimes

Saying for the Day: You can't believe everything your told.


Every Thursday for the last few weeks I have been sharing family stories and pictures.

These are stories that have been shared with me and I want to pass on to my grandchildren.

In some of the stories I am a participant in others I am not yet born.

Today I want to tell a story , a traditional story, about Grampa John and Grandma Leida Linna and me.

The two of them are pictured here in front of the big hay barn from the farm. I played in that barn as a kid.

According to this story because of the influence of Grandma Leidia some of the first words I spoke were in Finnish.

In fact I developed quite a Finnish vocabulary before I was four.

Then Grama Leidia died and little by little I lost it all.

That’s the way my dad , aunt Ida, and uncle Harold told the story.

I believed it. I told it to my children.

I couldn’t remember anything of that time but I believed it.

Now I discover you can’t believe everything your family tells you.

This story is not true unless I learned to talk in the womb.

Recently I did some family research putting together a family tree.
I researched birth and death dates along with other things.

I discovered my Grandma Leidia died when I was only three months old.

Unless I was a very fast learner she taught me no Finnish at all.

I never knew Finnish.

All family stories contain at least a grain of truth.

If grandma Leidia had lived I probably would have learned Finnish but she didn’t and I didn’t.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– The little town in my back yard– Eino went over the list he got from Mayor South and zeroed in on Frank Henipen. Frank has a very expensive house and was one of the most outspoken opponents of the new millage. So Eino went out to Frank’s house and told him that they had the Bishop dead to rights. Since they were sending the box from the Bishop’s house out to the state crime lab to see if there are fingerprints on the box or the documents. When the Bishop’s prints are found that will prove he did it. Of course if they find somebody else's prints then we will go after them. Now if it was somebody else and they came in and confessed before the material came back the town could probably work something out with them so there would be no jail time just a fine. Eino figures even if Frank didn’t do it he’ll share the information with his buddies and something could happen. Now we just wait and see. Of course despite Bree’s belief in Lutheran Bishop’s it could still be the Bishop.
Bree spent another day taking pictures.
The Methodists are having one of their big pasty sails Saturday. The ladies will start cooking early in the morning and hope to make 100 pasties. Our bikers who are staying a little longer because of the Celebration for Private Fuller said they would like to try one. These are not your little handful pasties. These are the big full meal kind.
The town is preparing for the big fourth of July celebration. There will be a street dance , fireworks, and of course the parade. The Liar’s Club 160 piece band will take part . All three of its members have been practicing hard. The consolidated high school band will not be coming this year as it is the year for them to be at Dirty Creek.
Bree stopped in to Nancy’s and says that the saffron this year is the best ever. She is too young for coffee but likes a cup of tea. She also picked up a little information on a local farmer.
Hazel Trumworthy, Pigeon Fall’s only Episcopal ( she goes to the Methodist Church) says that her church is going crazy. It has made the head Bishop a woman and one that believes in gays at that. They are almost as bad as those Lutherans. But she will never stop being Episcopal because she was born one and she will die one.
****'

Today's Link- The Madness that is me.- Remember to put the words Dr. John in the comment for Jc Credit. Check on JC points here. Bree and Betty took all those empty pop cans back. Bree made a fortune ( we drink a lot of pop). Then we all went to the church. Betty and Bree took pictures while I got the material I needed for the next update for the church web page. In the afternoon we went ti Iron Mountain. Went to the dollar store so Bree could spend some of that money. Then we went to the lake and Bree and Betty swam. It was a great afternoon. From their to the Great Northern Steak House and super. Then off to the movies we saw Garfield, A Tale of Two Cats. I wanted to see Superman Returns but I lost out. I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe they were all just trying to make Grandma 'real' to you. I haven't told my kids they learned Finnish, but do struggle with the task of keeping their memories of my dad alive. Especially with my daughter who was only a year old when he passed.

4:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a very good story. I should know that one and carry it on . No sign of the hey get away from my carrets yah bunny Wack!

6:04 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

LOL! so they embellished a litte, but it could have been true wink! wink! great story.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

i will take the road less traveled here, he, he and say that out of the two options i am sure you were a genius baby and gurgling in Finnish. you are quite the smarty pants, we all know that so it's very much possible...i can see it now, you being on Oprah speaking on your baby genius..
*********
So Frank could be it eh? well, well, well...things are moving away from the Bishop then...
i wonder if Bree will become a professional photographer...hope she catches a picture of the rabbit...can you imagine a definite proof?
the Fourth of July party sounds like a great time..those pasties sound yummy...i hope everyone has fun..
******************
I wish you a wonderful day and a most successful one. Have fun in your visit with the rest of the family. God Bless. Take care and i will read you tomorrow.

6:23 AM  
Blogger kristi said...

It is funny that they told you all your life that you knew Finnish but that you debunked the myth on your own. I know that had to shatter you memories. My aunt told me for years and year that I born to a different family and I really believed her, it is funny that you own family will try and trick you

6:26 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I am going to go out on a limb and say you were born a year earlier than your birth certificate says....people lied bout those things in those days you know. Or, the year your grandma died could be recorded wrong. My dad is doing his geneaolgy and is constantly finding mistakes.

Or maybe it was not your grandma teaching finnish but the aunt....

6:54 AM  
Blogger Cissa Fireheart said...

I think it's sweet that your family tired to get you included in the family history a little. I get those kinds of things all the time about my Papa. He died when I was just 1, but for a while, I was convinced of some things that happened with him, until I realized I was too young to have actually done the things in the stories family told me.

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think there's embellishment in every family history, including mine!

Sometimes it's harmless, sometimes you really don't want to know the truth.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Anteeksi, en puhu suomea

11:10 AM  
Blogger ArtsyTartsyViray said...

Does it count if i comment on my own blog.. haha!

11:13 AM  
Blogger Bella said...

Even if it wasn't true, it is still a sweet story.


So, they are going to fingerprint the box for the Bishop's (or possibly someone else's) prints on it. I don't now how you can have a box in your house and never go through it.

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Family histories are rife with embellishments and errors, but that's what makes them so much fun to research. Setting the record straight has to be satisfying, even if it means you never knew as much Finnish as you thought.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

IM with Bree...I say the Bishop is innocent. I'll even post his bail!!!!
;))

10:31 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

just in case i don't get to read your blog tomorrow, i just wanted to thank you for your prayers...and tell you that today was the last day of school for my kids..so being a half day and because i wanted to spend time with them we went to a 12:30 showing of Garfield, the tale of 2 kitties...lol..and even funnier is that i was hoping we end up seeing Superman too and all the kids asked for Garfield...thought i share the coincidence...i know you don't like hugs, so pls pass them on to Betty so that she can give you one from me...take care.

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home