Tuesday, June 27, 2006

I learn to speak sort of !

Saying for the Day:If we trust God the words will come.

We reach into the artifact box today and find a gold plated wrist watch .
On the back is inscribed “ Presented by the Detroit Free Press for Excellence in Debate”.

At this point (freshman in high school) on my journey to become a Pastor I have rediscovered the joy of walking with Jesus and I am learning to walk.

I feel a call to the ministry but am sure it is impossible.

My freshman English teacher suggests , after listening to me in class, that I not take up anything that requires public speaking.

I know that preaching is an important part of ministry and so this reinforces the idea that I can’t really have a call.

Enter Howard Brown, French teacher and debate coach.
For some reason Howard sent me an invitation to go out for debate.

Why, I do not know. Why of all those he could have asked did he choose to ask me ?

I took him up on his invitation.

He turned out to be a great coach.
He taught me not just how to speak but how to think while I was speaking.
How to become free of my notes.
How to look like what I was saying was not being read.

After three years with Howard I had become a fair to good public speaker.

Howard left at the end of my Junior year to become a Priest.

In my senior year the debate team was coached by the teacher who told me I would never be a speaker.

That was the year I won my Detroit Free Press watch.

God had removed the road block.

Next week getting by my father who wanted me to be an engineer.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– The little town in my backyard-Bree sat down with Eino today and he told her that he needed her to solve the pigeon mystery but that he had solved the mystery of the stolen constitutions, first volume of 1958 Birdseed, and the Town Charter. It was the Bishop. That’s when Bree told him there were three things saying he was wrong.
1. He was a ELCA Bishop. He might be arrogant, self righteous, inflexible but he wouldn’t steal.
2. If he had taken the documents he would have put them in a suitcase and taken them when he left. He could have gotten rid of them later. He was not dumb.
3. If he had left them it would have been a box that didn’t call attention to itself on the bottom of the pile where it couldn’t be knocked over.
If Eino wants the real thief he will find him, according to Bree, among the people that told Mayor South to search the house.
Then Bree told Eino to call off his night watcher , he wasn’t doing well anyway and give her a couple of days to solve the mystery.
There was another dead pigeon today dumped in the usual place despite Eino’s watcher. This one was electrocuted .
Pigeon Falls has two soldiers in Iraq. One of them, Private Patrick Fuller, is due home next week and a big celebration is being planned by the VFW. His mother can hardly wait to see him. An anti war group has announced they will picket the celebration as it glorifies war. Non of the members are even from Pigeon falls.
Mrs. Wilson Mcmorison III is all upset , again. She got a letter from the Bubbster person yesterday. He said he is sorry he couldn’t come last year but he had some problems but this year he will visit her. This has her really scared.
Nancy says that not much is being talked about that’s new. The Bishop, the rabbit, and the pigeons are still the top topics. The opinion on the Bishop is fifty fifty. Half think he is guilty as sin (strange term for a Bishop) and half think he is innocent. Nobody thinks that it’s the white rabbit killing the pigeons except, perhaps, Mrs. Trumble who thinks it has fangs and is the essence of pure evil.
*****

Today's link is Are We There Yet . Remember to put Dr. John in the comment for JC points credit. The winners of yesterday's drawing are ( drum roll please) - Lori's minute (84 JC points), Janvangogh (98 JC credits), and Cissa Fireheart (2 JC points) each of them will receive a genuine fun Doctor's Degree. I know that yesterday's link was very special because I read your comments . Again we want to thank Catch for sharing that link with us. Others who have special links should feel free to share them as well. This morning I worked on a new Fantasy train, Betty made a new ticket booth for the layout, and Bree painted the base for the Ferris Wheel. In the afternoon Betty and Bree went to the Museum in Iron River. I worked on the Fantasy engine. Now Betty and Bree are building a doll house. I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

19 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

I got the word yesterday. Now that it is announced, I guess it is official.

I would like to thank the academy.

Once again, thanks for the points and thanks for the degree.

4:51 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

What a wonderful mentor Howard was. If he only knew how far he's encouragement and his choice have reached.

i'm glad that you have always followed the path tha God has set before you.
**********
i doubt the Bishop is guilty of anything...Eino is starting to look like the guy to me..Bree is extremely smart to have thought of that. Good for her.

i be scared too if a total stranger send such letter. i hope it all sorts itself without too much stress.

electrecuted pigeon? some wild animal could have had a barbeque.
********************
Dr. John i got to ask a favor. Butterflies needs all of us, not that any of us really can help. Pls if you and Betty could kindly pray for her and James. Todays post is heart breaking. Things are unfortunately moving forward. Thank you.
**************************
Pls take care and enjoy your grandaughter. Read you tomorrow.
****************************

6:22 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

To the customer service representative:

Re: JC points. Fair is fair and honesty is important. I was given credit for yesterday's blog link and i failed. I must have been out of my mind because i don't know any other explanation. I missed a Monday comment. I apologize and feel terrible. He's one of my favorites places to be. And to have forgotten monday comment day is just more than i can bear. I was out of my routine and when back at home i just knew i had read Dr. John's blog. My heart knew it. My mind was sure. So it's official, i'm loosing it. I was at Letter's to Jack but that doesn't or shouldn't count either as i was there on my daily visit and didn't mention Dr. John. And i wasn't away on vacation yet so it may not count that i have gone and left a comment on yesterday's blog. Thought you might need to know for accounting purposes. You never know when you might get audited.

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Chana.

Ps. i am glad that it's not the ones with most points that get to be drawn for the contest...i think everyone should be included, just as we are.

6:31 AM  
Blogger Cissa Fireheart said...

I was so excited to hear about my Degree! I will be watching my mailbox eagerly. I amso commented at the link of the day. :)

6:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good morning, Doc!

I would never have believed you weren't a natural-born public speaker. You write so prolifically and naturally -- you'd think speaking would go hand-in-hand with that.

I'm glad you found your voice!

This "1. He was a ELCA Bishop. He might be arrogant, self righteous, inflexible but he wouldn’t steal." made me laugh until I wheezed.

I need a breathing treatment . . .

6:47 AM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

I think the lady is crazy to think that the rabbit has fangs o no I see the bunny!

Tcob

7:16 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

ohhh, i love that Bree is commenting too! a family affair. how sweet. welcome to JC points dear.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

I am so glad you are who you are Dr John....we all cherish our friendship with you.

I would run those protesters out of town!!! They have no right to do this at his homecoming party...shame on them.

Im still for the Bishop.

Thank you for making Letters to Jack the link of the day!

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just tuned in for the next chapter of the "Saga of Pigeon Falls".

YOUR TEACHERS ... I'd always noticed that my kids did well in a class proportionately to the quality of the TEACHER.
A SPEAKER, a Thoughtful speaker ... do you feel that your years as a Pastor were affected by having been with this teacher, your debate coach?

10:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a nice surprise this morning to check-in to see so many comments. Thank you for naming me as link of the day, I'm honored for the mention. Public speaking has never come easy for me either,so it was great to learn about how God removed the block for you. Have a great day, and thanks again!

11:50 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

Sometimes we don't recognize our own potential or trust the path that we are supposed to take. I am glad you had such a wonderful mentor and followed a path that was right for you.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Bella said...

It's road blocks like those that make us stronger. I;ve had quite a few myself and am proud to say that they have been removed.

The Pigeon killer needs to be caught. I am angry. Those pigeons are being used for someon'e revenge and it isn't fair.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

What? I won? This is not possible since I never win anything. I will proudly display my degree in the bottom of the bird cage or use it to soak up grease splatter from the hamburgers I make.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

ok, I just reread my comment and it sounds so mean but I meant it to be funny. I really am happy I won since it rarely happens. I will put it on my refridgerator along with the things the kids have won over the years. thanks again!

6:44 PM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Thanks for dropping by my Wordless Wednesday. Below the picture it says Look Here. You'll find the story behind that picture. It's real.

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...I feel a call to the ministry but am sure it is impossible.

Oh God, Dr. John...how I can identify with that statement....

and I pray for the day that I can speak freely without notes, but somehow, I think that my writing is what makes my sermons special

p.s. thank you for having my link up! I am honored..

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. I tried to comment on the link for the day...but she is a "blogger" site...and doesn't accept "other" comments.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Joe & Karen said...

Dear Dr, John, I am so touched, and saddened for you and your family. Thank You fot sharing something so personal. I am so sorry. What is your brother's name?
I can only immagine how powerful your words are, if they come out even a fraction of how beautifully you write. As a woman who never had much faith in God, since my Jack, I am newly comforted by such unsen powers that can only be one word, God. Thank you for featuring my site, People have been very generous with their support, and it is truly appriciated.

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that I found your blog here ... nice to read family history & about your lovely family

It breaks my heart to hear you thinking of leaving Crystal Falls & Pigeon Falls.

I, too, have my kids down by Green Bay (& beyond) ... yes, the distance is a problem.

Most of my brothers & sisters are down there, too ... I'M TRYING TO CONVINCE THEM ALL TO MOVE "BACK TO THEIR ROOTS UP HERE IN THE U.P.

I promise to keep the internet door open for you to visit CF by visiting MY blog!

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home