Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Little children will lead them

Saying for the Day: One would be suprised at what we can learn from children.

While my grandsons were here we went to see the movie “Cars”.

Now I have to tell you this was not on my must see this summer movie list.

It was not on my get the DVD when it comes out movie list.

It was not on my wait for Netflix movie list.

This was not even on my I’ll watch it if it comes to Home Box office movie list.

This was not a movie I ever wanted to see.

In the first place its an animated feature. For the most part I don’t like animated features. They just aren’t real.

Next it was about cars. I don’t car about race cars.

Third it was aimed at children. I am an adult.

I saw the television adds that said it was the movie of the summer. They also said it was a must see.
I figured if this is the movie of the summer I won’t set foot in a theater this summer.

But my grandsons came. They wanted to see it. So I went.

I went with great fear and trembling as these are the kids that on our last trip to the movies hit me with a car door and sent me to the emergency room.

I went fully expecting to be miserable through the entire picture.

What a surprise. I enjoyed it. I got pulled into it. It was a great morality play all about how to treat other people.
I wanted to stand up and cheer when the hero sacrificed ,what he had always wanted, to help somebody else. I might even buy this DVD when it comes out.

Now if I had gone on my own feelings I would have missed this picture. I would be the poorer for it.

Sometimes our preconceptions cheat us out of some joy or wonder. One needs grandchildren to break through such nonsense.

The pop corn wasn't bad either.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– The little town in my backyard– Well the whole town is talking about how the Bishop floored Big Rudy with one punch. Big Rudy is saying that he didn’t see it coming. He thought the Bishop was Christian and thus would never do something like that. I am not sure if the Bishop improved or made worse his reputation with that punch. But I am sure that the story will be told for years to come. Thirty years from now some Grandfather will tell his grandson or granddaughter that he stood just five feet away when the Bishop threw the punch that floored Big Rudy.
No dead pigeons today. Probably because Toivo decided to have the space watched again. It could be he has just run out of ways to kill pigeons. Of course it doesn’t have to be a he . It could be a she.
Somebody shot a rock through the Bishop’s window. The constable hauled in Tommy , the undertaker’s kid and found he was carrying a sling shot. Tommy denies he did it. He said he’s a Lutheran and he would never shoot a window of a Lutheran Bishop. The general feeling in town is that it was either Big Rudy or one of his drinking buddies.
Some more huge crates, marked mechanical equipment, came for the Pigeon Falls hermit. Again he let the men bring them in , paid them and sent them on their way. The general feeling is that he tips good.
The Liars Club is getting ready for its annual Liars contest. I understand that last year’s winner Jon Bergall has a great story for this year.
*****
Today's Link-Gingerbread Latte-Please remember to put Dr. John in the comment. Well Betty went to Top's. When she came back we tried the new creek bed and it worked perfectly but the final installation depends on the more agile granddaughter who comes next week. Then we worked on the kiddy part of our amusement park. I built fences and Betty painted. Everything is done except for the two benches in front. I think we will take a picture and post it on either mine or Betty's blog when its finished. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

12 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

It is true that we can learn from children. In some ways, they are smarter than we are.

5:54 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

I know I will buy the movie as soon as it comes out on dvd. Gaige and Zack will watch it everytime they come to my house and I will know all the words to the movie by the end of summer...lol. It does look like a really cute movie. Movie popcorn is the best!!!! It taste better at the movies!

I am so glad the Bishop popped Rudy a good one. Bishop-1 Rudy-0

6:00 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

"Sometimes our preconceptions cheat us out of some joy or wonder" : How beautiful that line is soo very true. That is why i like that we are not all the same. If we just take a chance there is a totally new world out there. I'm so happy you liked the movie. I'm even happier of the date with the grandkids. What a fun day!...so glad you didn't end up in emergency again.
**************************
Big Rudy is my bet on who broke the window. After being humiliated he must have been furiuos. Does anyone say what the house of the Hermit looks like inside? with all those deliveries, maybe someone has seen something odd in the house that might say something about who he is.
*******************************
Have a wonderful day. Take care and we'll read you tomorrow.

6:00 AM  
Blogger Nicoel said...

Thanks for the linkage dude

6:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's why I say "never grow up" - you'll miss out on too much!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You're the second "adult" in a week to tell me how much they enjoyed this movie! I like animation and LOVE cars (and Paul Newman!), so I do intend to see this one. Alas, I can't afford to go to the movies, so will have to w-a-i-t for the DVD.

I'm not reading any of your other comments; I'm still playing "catch-up" with "Pigeon Falls" and don't want to read any 'spoilers'!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Well, I guess I feel the same way about kid movies, but ended up liking Cars. It reminded me of some athletes who get a big head early on in their careers and need a wake up call.

I wondered if you were afraid to go because of what happened last time, but glad you got back up on the horse.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Bella said...

I am glad that you found a place in your heart for an animated film. ;)

I am with you and I am generally not interested in animated featured length movies. I fall asleep....

No more pigeon killings - I like reading that. Poor birds.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

It looked like it would be a fun movie. Thanks for the endorsement. And thanks for the points.

1:48 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

Took my grandson to see it and it was great! I liked the morality too.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Christopher said...

I've been told it's good. I may have to see it before too long.
Peace,
Chris

4:53 PM  
Blogger kristi said...

I really enjoyed Cars too. It was a long movie to at 2 hrs 7 mins but the time flew by. My youngest son wants to go and see it again. I just wish it wasn't so darn expensive to go.

The poor Bishop, he is really getting to know the crappy side of people isn't he, I hope that people do not run him off

6:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home