Thursday, June 15, 2006

Reason for being Weird



Saying for the Day: Good or bad we can’t change our grand parents.

This is a picture of my grandfather, grand mother and their children and one grandchild they raised. They are my mother’s parents James and Mabel Lanyon. (My mother is the fourth person over in the back right behind my grandmother). They were, I think, the most wonderful people in the world. They are also responsible for all the weirdness in our family.
James came from England (where he was born) and stayed with his aunt Elizabeth Yelland in Negaunee( my great grandmother of the many kids). There he met and , against the wishes of the family, married Mabel , his cousin.
So you see I am a descendant of a the marriage of a couple of cousins. I blame all my weird DNA on them. But since they were extra nice people I suppose I owe much of that which is good in me to them as well.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls-the little town in my backyard-Somebody tried to break into the Vanhala house last night. Tommy, the undertaker’s kid, was going buy pulling his wagon with the big box he always seems to be pulling when he saw the intruder trying to get in through a side window. Tommy has his own cell phone so he called Eino. The person saw Tommy and took off down the alley just as Eino showed up. Eino is not as fast as he used to be and so he couldn’t catch up with him. Now Eino has somebody watching the house as well as the pigeon drop parking place.
No new dead pigeons which is good news.
The white rabbit was seen several times today in different places.
The Kellors are still looking for somebody to take care of their dogs. They called into the local talk radio show. The show that people can put personal adds on for stuff they are trying to sell. They asked for somebody to take care of the dogs. They even offered to pay.
There are now 41 father’s registered and one son for the father’s day race. That’s just two short of the record and we still have two days to register. Nancy said she heard CBS was sending a camera crew to capture the race for their morning show. A son carrying a father has them really interested. I wonder who tips them to these things. Wouldn’t it be great if they caught the white rabbit on tape. Stranger things have happened.
****

Todays link is Delineation Me. Remember to put the words Dr. John in the comment to get JC points ( not that they have any value). Information on JC points can be had by clicking the JC points link update on the side.
This was one of those special days that you wish you could live over and over. Elijah and I laid the last track for the layout. The tracking is now complete. I need to add some wiring and a few screws but the track itself is laid and it works. Alex has made tremendous progress on the roller coaster and might finish it tomorrow. So at 11:30 we left for Iron Mountain. We stopped at a fireworks place in Florence that was like a candy store for a kid. It had everything you could ever want. I had to buy very carefully to stay as close to Michigan law as possible. Those who know me know how much fun that kind of place is for me. ( I'm the guy that shot off his eyebrow.) Then we ate at Macdonald's so the boys could get happy meals and the car that goes with the movie "Cars". On to lake Antoine and swimming. I watched and remembered back to when I was a kid. There was even an old fashioned ice-cream truck, music and all. What a wonderful afternoon. Tonight we shoot off some of the fireworks. well I need a breathing treatment,
GBYA

16 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

Yes but where they first cousins?
Regardless of what type though, it obviously worked very well and they made a wonderful family. I'm glad you have this picture, it's beautiful and full of memories and joy. Thank goodness for their goodness and way about doing things as it has a definetely link to your wonderfulness. Thank you for sharing.

*******************
I think it's odd that this person got caught trying to break in and that there was no pigeon deadths...maybe it's a coincidence but maybe he is the person of interest. Glad to see that the town is getting more national publicity. Keeping the spotlight on will help in the documents matter. Father's race sounds like is going to be a great time.
*****************
Now, can you please tell you if there is a customer representative contact information as to questions of the JC points ( :) )? ******************
And one last thing, i showed the kids, the turtle. And there were many ahhhss and wows and a all around delight. Thank you for the smiles and joy it bought us all. One of the little girls did ask if he had a name. So i pass the question on. And if not could you and Betty name him please? Every turtle needs his own name. (for that matter the little girls in this house name every stuff animal and all dolls etc...


Hope you are well and read you tomorrow.

5:28 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

Oh, I see the british connection and not too far back either :) what wonderful memories you have to share. Isn't it funny too how sometimes the very marriages everyone is against end up being the best one's!!

5:36 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

How far back do I have to go to find the start of the pigeons and the white rabbit?

I wonder sometimes how all my nieces & nephews will be able to keep track of all the half and step siblings in their generation.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Forgot. Thanks for the points. :-)

5:49 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Married cousins? This info shold have been told before I married into the family...JUST KIDDING! I have said it before and I'll say it again, I have a feeling there were a lot of marriages between cousins in those days.

6:39 AM  
Blogger kristi said...

Well apparently them being cousins did not affect you badly...you do not have 2 heads or anything. I think that by in cousins the gene pool is diluted enough to not cause problems. Now siblings, that is a whole other game there. Like Russian Roulette.
My steofather was the product of cousins I think they were second cousins though but he is just fine.

I have been trying to catch up on Pigeon Falls news. Sounds like someone is one step ahead of the people in looking for that constitution. And when is the Bishops wife going to surface????

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How lucky you are to have photos that go back so far...My family must have a whole lot of cousin-cousin marriages, because we are all weird!

9:32 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

what a wonderful picture Dr John! the 95 yr old lady I take care of 2 nights a week has a picture of her Mother hanging on the wall...its a beautiful picture. Her Mom was young in it so it is ages old.

good thing Tommy came by with his cell phone. Maybe he is hiding the bishops wife in that big box! stranger things have happened!

9:51 AM  
Blogger plinna said...

More dirty laundry. Do I need to know this history about my family?

It is great to be able to put faces to the names.

11:16 AM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Thanks for visiting my site again.
Of course, it is understood, God is above all.
You are right! We can't change our past. Our genes came from them. But it is up to us to do something about what we are and we want ourselves to become.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Gunngirl said...

I love those old posed photos! love B/W photos. What's up the break-ins too?

Thanks for all the wonderful visitors, Dr. John! I visited every one in return and will go back. Shiny new blogging buddies. lol

I finally got a chance to hop around to some blogs. Good to see you! Have a nice weekend.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

i just read the add on bit of your day. how wonderfully happy it sounds. how happy you sound. i love imagining you happy. i can see the smiles in my minds eye. i hope you have a million more of these sort of days. God Bless...the kids are thinking hard on a name..thank you for the pleasure of naming the turtle..they feel very special...See, now it's not just me who loves you and Betty...you have just made your way into many more hearts.

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like the perfect day, John. It's funny you should mention the ice cream truck. A few weeks back,while walking around the lake near my niece's home, the Big Guy and I spied an ice cream truck, and I just had to buy a popsicle. It had been years since I had done that, and it made me feel like a kid again. Glad you enjoyed a day full of fun and memories.

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL... the preceeding was written by ME !! lol Tina

11:11 PM  
Blogger SuzySnoo said...

I love old photos like these, a glimpse into the past, and it's great to see an English connection.

Your news from Pigeon Falls is very enjoyable. You paint a wonderful picture of your community.

Thankyou for the link to my blog. I enjoyed all the extra traffic and new people! Thanks.

4:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! »

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home