Saturday, June 17, 2006

What you see is what YOU see.

Saying for the Day: One man’s heirloom is another man’s junk.

Thursday we were at the beach in Iron Mountain. I was watching my grand kids swim.
A young lady and her two children entered into that part of the lake where my grandkids were. They were having a wonderful time.

The boy must have been about four and the little girl was about two and a half. They splashed the mother and she splashed them. They laughed and life seemed good.

I thought what a wonderful mother and I remembered when my mother used to take us to camp for a week in the summer. We stayed at my Aunt Jennie’s camp near Iron Mountain. Those were good times.

My memories were interrupted by a man who suddenly confronted my wife and I . It seems he thought the bathing attire of our young mother was a disgrace.

Up to that point I hadn’t noticed. It was a little skimpy.

What you see is part perception. I saw a family having fun. He saw a bad woman who was a disgrace.

Each of us was set up to perceive the same situation in totally different manners.

What we see is not always what is there. Our sight is colored by our prejudices, our memories, our feelings at the moment of seeing.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls-the little town in my backyard. Not much happened in Pigeon Falls today. There were no dead pigeons, maybe that’s over. Nobody saw a white rabbit in a pink sweater. Our bikers are out exploring the countryside. Just a quiet day.
Eino has somebody watching the Vanhala place all the time. Nancy still won’t let them go in and look for a Constitution. She says she will close up the shop tomorrow and she will spend the day looking and Eino can come with her if he wants. Tomorrow the crisis could be over.
Nancy says the Pigeon Falls hermit got this huge heavy package today. It came in by train . He had the delivery men bring it inside and put it down in the living room. Those are the first people to be inside since he moved in.
A Pigeon Days committee has been formed even without the council. Pigeon Days are far too important to the community to let a little thing like a constitutional crisis stop them. The committee will have a hard time beating last years celebration.
The youth group from last Lutheran have done a great job at keeping the town clean. The pigeon statue almost seems to shine. There a few youth grumbling that this is not what church youth groups should be doing.
*****

Todays link is Bobology- remember to put Dr. John in the comment for JC points-You can check your JC points or find out of how little value they are by clicking on the JC point update on the side.
Well My grandkids went home today. First Alex and his dad put the roller coaster out on the layout. It was sad to see them go. I spent the day pulling together all of the Pigeon Falls material from last year so that I could refer to it in this years material. I finished July. Betty and I went to church and then grocery shopping. Discovered an old friend is in the hospital in Marquette with a problem they are having a hard time diagnosing. well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

7 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

morning. i can't believe that a stranger would walk up to someone just to critize another human..i'm not that gutsy whatsoever.
you know how you have a disclaimer that if we are looking "for a deep philosophical blog that clarifies the meaning of life this is not the blog"? well, i was just thinking what an impredible post this was. i come here because you make me laugh and you are an incredible story teller, you and Betty and the whole family are what i hope for for my own...but you do realize that you do have the most insightful and subtle ways to show us the way. your disclaimer can stay as such but i know much to well that it is a deep philosophical blog that mixes with love and joy and hope and it's sound sweetly put that we forget that we are learning...thank you-again.

like i said, incredible post. yes, i wonder what i would have notice and why?
***************************
i thought Nancy was up to no good but if she invited Eino to come along than i guess i was wrong..unless she already removed the papers.. the committee should be applauded, not letting a silly dispute stop them from showing off it's town. we should all take that innitiative and not do things because we have to but want to. and the church youth group is doing a great job and i disagree with the complaints, i think that is exactly what any good Christian ought to do-help each other in any way...
*****************
the kids had come up with many names. there was Verde (green), a Chana (until they were reminded it was a male), Snappy, Tortuga (turtle), and Gus (???). Until they saw me taking pics of Carlitos (my monkey) and were told why (writting about him), the decision was unanimous. in memory of my dad for Father's Day, they thought we should name him after my dad and the monkey, Carlos. Poor father of mine, he didn't like the monkey idea, can you imagine how he feel about a turtle? lol...So if you don't mind i think your beautiful turtle should be called Carlos or Charles. Thank you.

I hope you have a very happy saturday and i will read you tomorrow.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

What a wonderful blog today, John. I feel like I went to church and heard your sermon. It will be a good story to pass along.

I like Carlos for the name for the turtle. I hope he does not get any markings from the pigeons in the area!

7:00 AM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

I like Carlos also and it just not a name it has a history.
My first impression of the lady in the skimpy suit was gee I couldn't wear that. She also had a knee or leg brace which made walking difficult she took it off to go in the water with the children. The man who complained was on his cell phone most of the time. I thought he was a detached father of the children until he approached us.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

Dont judge a book by its cover or a woman by her bathing suit..she was having a good time with her children...how wonderful is that regardless of what she was wearing.You know what they say...Dont judge me until you walk a mile in my shoes.That man has obviously never been to Myrtle Beach wear Mothers wear all kinds of skimpy bathing suits..and if this 58 year old grandmother could still look like that in a bikini I'd have one in every color! lol.

Carlos is a good name for a turtle.

Wishing you a great Fathers day Dr John!Hope you and your lovely wife Betty have a wonderful weekend! If I lived closer Id come and give you a big Fathers day hug!!!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Always an interesting read.

Thanks for the points.

4:36 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

Happy Fathers Day from me too.
I just think that if people cant say something nice about someone else they should keep their mouths shut...I do agree that man was having a bad day and he needs someone to help him in his misery.The bikini lady has no fears and shes to be admired:)

7:09 PM  
Blogger plinna said...

What I remeber about Aunt Jennie’s camp is the snail shells and polished rocks.

If the mother was an adult does it matter what she wears if all right parts are covered.

At least she was spending time with her kids instead of just getting a tan.


I am glad you had a good time with the boys.

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home