Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Father's Day

Saying for the day: It is the task of each man to be a better parent than the one that raised him.

When I was little and had those inevitable conflicts with my father I would promise myself that when I became a parent I would be a better father.

I would not get angry.

I would listen.

I would try to understand why my child did what he or she did.

I would spend more time with them.

I promised all this to myself.

I failed.

I didn’t keep the promise.

I didn’t listen well,

I got angry,

I made no effort to understand.

I spent too much time working.

Does that mean I was a bad parent?

I don’t think so.

It means my father was a better parent than I thought at the time.
In fact he was probably a better parent than I was.

But in real life, which is different from dreams, fathers have to deal with many more things than their children.

They have problems at work.

They have people they are in conflict with.

They don’t feel well.

All these things influence a parent child conflict .

The parent does the best he can and needs to be forgiven and loved when he fails.

My children have done that for me so this is another Happy Father’s Day.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– the little town in my backyard. The name the turtle contest is over and it was won by Chana’s kids. They named the turtle Carlos, after their grandfather .The mill crew that ran the contest is thinking of putting up a little sign by Carlos’s favorite rock that says “This is Carlos the turtle”.
Robert Kellomaki came in second in the big Father’s Day race, just behind Big Moose Sorenson and his son, The committee however though this was such a special act of love on the part of Robert that they awarded him a special shirt that said “ I carried my Father all the way in Pigeon Falls”. Moose , of course, got the traditional “I carried my son to victory in Pigeon Falls” sweatshirt.
No dead pigeons to ruin Father’s Day.
Tommy, the undertaker’s kid, who is always getting into trouble made his father breakfast in bed. Sometimes he can be so nice.
The annual Father’s Day Brunch was held at the Masonic Hall. There aren’t a lot of Mason’s in Pigeon Falls but the one’s there are put out a good spread and just $5.00 which included the coffee.
Eino and Nancy spent the day at the Vanhala house but we don’t know if they found anything or not. I’m sure if they did we will learn about it tomorrow.
Pastor Marvel preached a great Father’s day sermon calling on us to love the father we have and not one we would like to have had. Father’s like children need to be loved and forgiven.
****

Today's link is Emerging Phoneix. Please remember to put the Dr. John in your comments to get useless JC points. Betty went to Marquette to bring an old friend to see her daughter in the hospital and was gone all day. The woman in the hospital appears to have a truly horrible case of a disease that I had a long time ago. It is called Cellulitis and causes the leg to swell and the skin to break open an d weep and it really hurts. I spent the day getting all of last year's Pigeon Falls material together and it can now be accessed from the left hand margin. I also did some work on the amusement park. Well I need a breathing g treatment.
GBYA

9 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

Happy Father's Day to you.
Happy Father's Day to you.
Happy Father's Day Dr. John.
Happy Father's Day to you.
Now we just need Mimi's sweet voice to sing it to you.

What a fantastic post. You are most right parents are just human too. I am sure that your children wouldn't have asked to be raised by no one else, they were/are very lucky. I hope your day as your life is full of love and happiness.
***************************
Chana's kids must be ecstatic that they won the contest. How wonderful to have there grandpa honored the handsome turtle. We are, i mean, i'm sure they are most grateful and flattered.
the committe was very nice to give a special award to Robert. i'm glad that they did. I'm also thrilled there was no death on Father's Day. No blood on such a happy ocassion. the pastor sounds like he gave just the perfect speech. it reminds me of a kind friend of mine, a Dr.
*****************************
Enjoy your hugs from Betty and the love of all your blogger friends.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

That was a beautiful post Dr John......I think every parent tries his best for his child. Be sure to check out my blog today...I think you will really understand it. Have a blessed Fathers Day Dr John. God bless you....you are a very special man. I am so happy to know you and Betty.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Fortunately for parents, children have an amazing capacity to forgive.

Thanks for the points.

9:42 AM  
Blogger kristi said...

Happy Father's Day, Dr John. I hope you have a wonderfully stress-free day!!!!

I hope that Eino and Nancy find something I am really looking foward to that.

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Father's Day Dr. John!!

3:00 PM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Firstly, Happy Father's Day To You!
You are very right in every angle. When we were kids, we couldn't understand when we were scolded by our parents or reprimanded by them and we promise ourselves that when we become parents we won't do the same as they did. Now we are parents and we seem to be doing the same things and even more.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Life is not easy for anyone. That includes fathers. Happy father's day.

6:46 PM  
Blogger plinna said...

I don't know if forgiveness is needed just an understanding how hard it is to be a parent.

Check out Brea's blog and you can see it's worth the effort.

You are loved and you are Great Father.

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, John, I'm so glad to hear that you had a Happy Father's Day.
I feel badly for the woman who is in the hospital with cellulitis. I've known some bad cases, and it is a very difficult thing to deal with. Prayers are coming her way. Tina

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home