Tuesday, July 04, 2006

My dad the road block !!!

Saying for the day: Honor your father and mother.

I reach into the artifact box and there is a picture of my dad and I.

It reminds me that one should obey God's laws.

When I finished high school I was a fair to good speaker and could hold my own in any discussion.

I was sure that God was calling me into the full time ministry.

The roadblock now was the Ten Commandments.

My father wanted me to go to Michigan Tech ( not your basic theological school) .

He wanted me to study math which was something I was very good at.

The commandment said I was to honor him.
Luther said this meant "We should fear and love God that we may not despise nor anger our parents and masters, but give them honor, serve, obey, and hold them in love and esteem.

I went to Tech. In those days Tech allowed you to take as many credits as you wanted so I took 24 a term.
The first year I made the Dean's list.

My dad felt that this was proof I should give up the ministry idea and work at something that will make money.

I went back to Tech for another year.
This time I tried taking French and German at the same time.
I got an A in French and a D in German.
I wrote French words on the German test, I was confused.
No Dean's list that term.

Still as I prepared for my third year my dad was not backing down and there stood old Martin Luther and the law.

Then God intervened.

I discovered the law works.
My grandfather, my father's father sat my dad down and told him (in Finnish) that if I wanted to become a pastor my dad should let me and get out of the way.

Now my dad obeyed his father and said go to Northern if you want to.

He obeyed the commandment and honored his father.

I was on my way.

Next week one last temptation before seminary.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls- The little town in my backyard.- Well Eino took some time off from supervising the putting of a new roof on the garage to drive out to farmer Frank Henipen's house. Frank had called him in the morning and said he had urgent business to talk over with him. When he arrived Frank confessed to having stolen the constitutions, charter, and the volume of the "Birdseed" from the museum. Frank was sure the evidence from the crime lab would convict him so he wanted to make a deal (Eino never told him that the problem was too small for the crime lab to bother with). But then Eino told him he had a crew of FBI people coming to go over farms to see if there was evidence of pigeon killing ( one bluff after another that Eino). Frank turned green and confessed to that as well. He said what they did to his car made him so angry that he couldn't help himself. He wanted to scare off the other birds. "What would you do if they were pooping on your new cadilac?" Well he and Eino worked out an agreement by which Frank will do the city cleaning for six months with no pay. If he doesn't do a good job Eino is threatening to have him jailed. Now if any pigeons come back after that big windstorm they can rest peacefully.
Nancy says that aside from the storm everybody is talking about the double white rabbit visit. Some suggest that there are twin rabbits. A good twin and an evil twin. Mrs., Trumble only sees the evil twin. Some are saying it 's all phony. But nobody seems to know anything.
Some kids are saying that the noise from the Chicago hermits house is increasing. At night there are flashes of light in the house. It really does look like the set from a monster movie. We are waiting for the Pigeon Falls Frankenstein to show up.
Last but not least the fourth of July parade went very well today. Willie looked great in his newly pressed uniform and he only fell once. The Liar's club band played like it had 66 members instead of three. There is nothing like a small town fourth of July.
******

Todays's Jc link is A Mama's Rant-remember to put the words Dr. John in your comment to get JC points. Updated JC points available tomorrow.
And now the winners of yesterday's drawing for the Pigeon Falls Angels. The winners are (drum role) Honey and Starbender.Their angels will be shipped as soon as I get their snail mail addresses. Congratulations.
Sorry about yesterday. Somehow the laptop managed to blow out my template. I think it was getting even for making fun of it in an earlier blog. I am still short most of my links but I can fix that when I get back to Crystal. You might all so visit yesterday's link as she does do nice rocks.
We had a great day. The entire family was here, my two sons, my daughter, and all my grand kids. We played canasta, and tonight we will have a family fireworks display. Then I will go for a breathing treatment.
GBYA

10 Comments:

Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Yep, it works.

Glad grandpa stepped in to talk to your dad. (24 credits - yikes!)

10:27 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

It was wonderful your grandfather was able to help your father realize that this was the right thing for you.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

I am glad your Grandfather stepped in and you went with your Fathers blessing. If your Father could see you today he would be quite proud of the man you have become.

You are right..there is nothing quite like the 4th of July in a small town. It was raining cats and dogs this morning...but its clearing up...looks like we are all gonna load up in the back of a truck and go see the fireworks tonight. Just like we do every year...and every year is just as much fun as the last year was!!!! God bless your family, have a great day!!!!

12:04 PM  
Blogger Christopher said...

Thanks for that reminder. When I see my dad next I'll try and keep that advice in mind.
Peace,
Chris
PS 24 credits IS a LOT!

3:15 PM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Col 3:21 -- under preached.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Cissa Fireheart said...

That's a great story Dr. John. God's hand truly was there to guide you.

Sometime though, if you honor your mother and father you might mis out on things.

Had I honored my mother and father, I would have gone to UMASS. I would not have transferred to Rhode Island College, because I felt a sense of urgency to get back to RI. My brohter could have taken my mother's life, had I not been there to intervene. I also would not have met the love of my life. We were engaged 9 years ago on July 9th. And still together. That's gotta say a little something for not honoring mum & dad?

But I am glad it worked out for you! :) Bloggin on vacation is hard. But I wanted to leave a comment for you. Hope you Independance Day was fun!

7:18 PM  
Blogger Chris Beason said...

So is Colossians 3:20 that comes right before it janvangogh...

I think Colossians 3:18 and 3:19 are underpreached as well. Sometimes we have to have faith that by doing what He tells us to do the rest of our life will fall into place. Dr. John is living proof of that.

Dr. John, I'm starting to feel like family and I'm sorry if you feel I've taken advantage of that to preach on your blog...oh darn, guess I shouldn't have made the crack on Betty's blog about visiting her first today! LOL...I love both of you!

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,
I really enjoy your blog! Thanks for your honest heart and truthfulness, it is refreshing to hear someone be real. Its cool to read about real people who serve Jesus.

I am a musician, and I would be honored if you would check out my music. All music on my site is free for download. Anyway, don't want to be a pest, I just thought that I'd share.

Thanks,
-Sean
_____________________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All my music is free."

9:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I must say, Dr. John, you don't look too thrilled to be in that suit. Your dad, on the other hand, is beaming!

It's great that he finally saw reason; sometimes, parents should step back and trust their children to do the right thing!

My mother was an expert at throwing up road blocks. I learned, early on, how easy it was to just step over them. I loved her like crazy, but she was the Queen of Bad Choices, and it certainly made more sense to find my own way than to follow her steady stream of bad examples.

Oh, and German AND French? What were you thinking??? (Whatever it was, I guess it wasn't in English!)

*

Farmer Frank as thief AND murderer?? So much for farmers being the salt of the earth . . .

What self-respecting farmer drives a Cadillac, anyway? You can haul a LOT more manure in a Ford F-350!

3:12 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Hi Annette.

I have heard those others preached alot. But not the 21st verse. My Dad beat my brothers. They in turn took it out on me.

Dr John's reward for obedience came early. Some of us will have to wait for heaven. Sorry, didnt mean to get heavy.

4:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home