Sunday, July 09, 2006

I missed church.

Saying for the Day: What you missed today is lost forever.

I missed church yesterday and today because of this stomach bug.
I really hate missing church.

I know God has saved me by grace.
I know that there is no penalty for missing.

But I hate to miss.

There are three reasons .

First : I need the fellowship.
I need to be surrounded by other people who love the same Jesus.
I love singing with them.
I love having coffee with them before the service.
I love joining with them in prayer for others.
These are special people
.
Second: I need a Word from God.
Luther says that I should so fear, love, and trust God that I do not despise his Word or the preaching of it.
God speaks to me in both the lessons for the day and the sermon.

Third. I want to share in that special meal that Jesus gave to his people ( The Holy Communion). Here in a very special way Jesus comes to me.

So I really hate to miss church.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls-the little town in my backyard.-It was a very, very quiet day in Pigeon Falls. There were no pigeons to co co co. The white rabbit didn’t show up, swimming or any other way. People have run out of firecrackers from the fourth. A lot of people traveled over to a neighboring town for their. Bass festival. Which includes the opportunity to run you bass off. It was just one quiet day.
Pastor Marvel did his best to bring a little life to the day and Last Lutheran had their annual polka service. The service was put together by the Pastor and secretary some years ago. You haven’t really lived until you have sung Holy,Holy, Holy to the tune of She’s Too Fat for Me. But even that hardly disturbed the quiet.
It was like the whole town was waiting for something to happen. Something horrible or something wonderful, nobody knew which.
Nancy says that people who stopped for coffee said it felt like the day before Christmas except then they knew what they were waiting for.
In any case nothing happened , nothing came.
****

Todays link is Outside my Window- remember to put the words Dr. John in the comment to get JC POINTS. You can see points to date by clicking on the JC points update on the left. Rough day with this stomach thing. I will go to the doctor tomorrow. Spent a lot of time on phone with daughter working on real estate purchase. Nothing is really easy in this life. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

13 Comments:

Blogger jafabrit said...

Hope you feel better soon.

5:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thank the Lord for guiding me to your blog. For the last two Sunday's I have been visiting W. J. St. Christopher's blog because her art is very pleasing to my eyes. Today her blog lead me to you.
I hope that you feel better soon and that you will not have to miss church again for a long time. I will be praying for you.

5:38 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Lamb of God to the tune of She's Too Fat For Me? That's too funny. Hope you are feeling better- that same bug must have been around here a week or so ago- nasty stuff.

7:02 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

I hope you are feeling better, summer bugs are no fun.

Thank you for sending people my way. I hope they find something interesting to read about on my site. I've added a permanent link to your blog.

Sue from "Outside My Window"

7:49 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Amen to grace.

Last day to vote. Follow the link on www.guerillabeatz.blogspot.com Vote for the Good Ones. If he makes it to Pittsburgh, maybe I will get to see him.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Cant make Lamb of God fit She's Too Fat for Me. Have to cut out some of the words and add them elsewhere. Kind of changes the meaning tho.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Christopher said...

Sorry to hear you missed Church.
Peace,
Chris

10:51 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I know what you mean about missing church. Today, if we would not have gone, we would have missed two solos sung by a girl younger than Bree. When I looked at the bulletin and saw there was a solo, I was expecting an adult, but this young girl got up and sang beautifully...I cried. She sang "I Can Only Imagine' and "The Old Rugged Cross".

Very moving service today.

Feel better soon....as in NOW!

11:03 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Oooh, I pray to God you don't have the same bug as me. If so, yes.. it will keep you from church and from traveling anywhere out of a 10' radius of your powder-room.

It may also chase people away from you!

Hope to see you get better soon.

-Margiemix

11:24 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

Hope your stomach is feeling better ...the lady I take care of has the same bug today..Pigeon Falls could use a little quiet time so I hope they enjoyed it. Take care Doctor John.

12:03 PM  
Blogger MommaistheBoss said...

Hey Dr. John,
Thanks for using my blog as your listing for the day. Everyone you send had something very nice to say.
I hope you are feeling better.

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry you missed church today, and sorry that i didn't think to email my sermon to myself so that I could post it for you to read today...

i know what you mean about everything you said. It dawned on me today that I am going to miss the "fellowship" of these people ....

4:16 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

hope you are better. I was reading your profile comments, and just wanted to say, my husband is 66, and I just want him to stay out of the way also. so don't feel bad, I think it is a hormonal thing.......it isn't personal.

2:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home