Friday, July 14, 2006

Then and Now

Saying for the Day: I don't care what my kid did.He didn't do it.

If you have been reading my wife’s blog ( and everyone should) then you read about how when she was a little girl she got into a slight argument with a boy and he broke her leg (according to her it was her fault).

The story shows us the difference between today and the good old yesterday.

Yesterday the boys father made him tell Betty he was sorry and together he and his dad built Betty a dollhouse to play with while her leg was in the cast.

Today the dad would have denied up and down that his son was to blame.
Both sets of parents would have contacted lawyers.
A law suit would commence.
An out of court settlement would be reached and the lawyers would do well.

There would be no doll house.

I think I like the way it used to be better.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– the little town in my backyard-Nancy told everybody that stopped in today that the last thing in the world she wants to be is mayor. She is much too busy with the tea shop and turning her grandfather’s house into the Emil Towner Vanhala Museum. You remember the town council got the house named as an historic building.
Well what happened last night is so unbelievable that if there weren’t four people in Robert’s tour group that witnessed it nobody would believe it happened. The group was stopped across the street from the fire hall. The white rabbit showed up on the roof just about on schedule but then it was on the roof of the Masonic building as well . Then while the two were visible it showed at the end of the street as well. Suddenly the one of the fire hall roof vanished as the one on the end of the street hopped away. But the one on the Masonic building floated up into the air and then slowly back behind the building. There was a noise like a shot and it disappeared. At first they thought somebody shot it but in the morning no dead rabbit (which is alright because we don’t have a recipe for a 2 1/2 foot rabbit anyway). The usual marks were on the roof and in the bushes. Sp now we have a 2 1/2 foot white rabbit in a pink sweater that swims, floats in the air, and can be in three places at one time. Mrs. Trumble says this proves its demonic. These are all manifestations of the demon. We need a good exorcist.
Frank has started a petition to change the town name to White Rabbit Falls as the rabbit is bringing in so many tourists. Besides if we change the name we can get rid of the pigeons ( in a human way of course not with a wood chipper) .
Somebody asked Tommy’s father why he was out last night when he was supposed to be grounded. But his dad said he checked on him twice and he was in bed sleeping. Poor Tommy is in trouble even in his sleep.
****

Today's link- The Loquacious Curmudgeon - please remember to put Dr. John in your comment to add to your ever growing JCPOINTS. Check on your JCPOINTS HERE.
We finished the living room (Esther please note) . Started on the garage so that the furniture were giving away could be moved from the basement. Betty went to the dump with the garbage but it was closed. The lady who was supposed to pick up the things we are giving away won't be here until Monday. We'll wait because she is willing to take it all. Tomorrow we start on the dining room. Betty went to the grocery store. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GB YA

14 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

New name -- White Rabbit Landing. They are landing all over town. Doesnt replace Pigeon Falls very well in the song tho -- and not sure what they "do" in the woods -- ie, I dont think they coo. New name, new song.

5:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You're right, Dr. John; lawsuits have replaced common sense.

*

You don't need a recipe for giant rabbit. Just toss it on the grill -- probably tastes like chicken!

5:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So right! My son got into some juvie trouble his freshman year in HS. While in court I noticed more than one mother with the "my child wouldn't do that" attitude. Even my stepdaughter's mother was like that. She was known to go to the school and argue with the teachers. I, on the other hand, figured that kids would push the limits as much and as often as they could. That's how they learn, sometimes the hard way!

6:14 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Dr. John -- when I saw your link for today I had to laugh. I stumbled across The Loquacious Curmudgeon yesterday and already had him bookmarked.

I am a teacher. This past year I actually had a mother say to me, "Just because my daughter lies is no reason to not believe her."

Hello?

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I like it the way it used to be, too!

7:37 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

It's a shame really and the parents are really not doing their children a favour. They will pay a price when they get older and face the real world. Sadly I have to say though it is not totally new problem.my father had a mother who rescued him from the consequences of his own actions and he payed for it dearly, as well as those who suffered at his hands.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

After what I went through this past year, I know kids behave differently when their paretns are not around!

8:45 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

another difference is that Betty took responsibility for her part in it and that is not common anymore. honesty and values are not always found. i'm glad that they build her a dollhouse. everyone tried their best to make the best of it and that is a good.
***********
i don't think they should change the town's name. what if eventually the rabbit sightings stop? so i guess Nancy isn't interested in the job. i think she would have been good.
********************
hope you are well. how is the packing coming along?

8:58 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

Anymore people sue for someone spitting on their sidewalk...it is rediculous....the older days were much better.

what the difference between God and a lawyer?

God doesnt think he is a lawyer!

11:01 AM  
Blogger Chris Beason said...

I read about that on Betty's blog the other day. Sounds like when I was a child, but fortunately I never had a bone broken.

Well...I tried and tried, but can't seem to get my security code to go through on that blog to leave comments.

Thank you so much for my blog cards! Just got them in the mail today. They're great!

11:39 AM  
Blogger Loquacious Curmudgeon said...

Thanks Dr. John for driving some traffic to my site! I have to admit, at first, I was getting a little paranoid: all these comments sent from a "Dr. John". I thought it might be code!

For what, I don't know. I'm just special like that, I guess.

You have some very courteous and kind readers. It was a real pleasure to have them visit.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Just noted that I was apparently unaware that pink sweaters were a manifestation of demons. Well, I would believe that of some pink sweaters I have seen --- sans rabbit.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Some things definately were better in the old days. But not all.

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In our litigious society today, apologizing is a lost art. If everyone would learn to say "sorry." there would be a lot more poor lawyers.

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home