Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Now the pain begins.

Saying for the Day: Sometimes one needs a second home just for the junk.

Well the painful process has begun.

We have picked out a house in Neenah .

We are trying to set up the financing.
That alone is driving us nuts.
Because it is a duplex we have to have 20% down.

We don’t have 20%.
The man I talked to was very nice but we still don’t have the 20%.
In the morning I will call the local bank and talk to their loan officer.
Nothing in life is easy.

We have begun putting the house into shape for potential buyers.
That is also a painful process.

The entry hallway is now clean and the floor waxed.

We have started in the living room.
Now the process forces hard questions.
Can we take this to the new house?
The question really is pack? Throw? Give away? Sell?

To understand how painful this is you need to know that we are pack rats.
We have boxes in the basement from our last move that haven’t been opened.
We hate to give up anything.
But now we must.

Tomorrow St. Vincent comes and takes away one recliner that we know there will be no room for.
It has to go.
How many other things will have to go as we continue to clean up and pack up?

I need one of those magic wands.
I wonder if there is a service out there that will come and clean and advise.
They would help decide on what had to go and give moral support.

I would use the service. If it wasn’t too expensive.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– the little town in my backyard-The Pigeon Days Committee is still taking suggestions for the festivities. I think they have ruled out the rabbit cook off, but everything else is still possible.
Another super market paper had done an article on the mystery of the multiplying rabbit. Most of the article is straight on fabrication but it may bring a few more tourists to Pigeon Falls.
Work on the “Lesser America” amusement park has been going very slowly. There seems to be some kind of problem with the designer . I hear he wants more pay. People were really hoping that the park would open by August.
We had a bit of racist nonsense in the last few days. A tall person of color, stopped at Nancy’s for coffee and a saffron bun. When he left somebody asked Nancy “What’s a person like that doing here?” Nancy didn’t like the attitude so she said it was the new high school basketball coach. That rumor quickly spread around the community and soon people were calling the School Superintendent to complain. He, of course had no idea what they were talking about. One guy even said he would pull his kid off the team if they hired that coach. Boy did he feel stupid when he found out it was just a rumor. It was really kind of funny. But it does show that even little towns like Pigeon Falls have their racists. I expect Pastor Marvel will have something to say next Sunday.
The way things have been going Robert is almost afraid to run his tour for fear of what will happen next. Will we get four white rabbits, each one 2 1/2 feet tall and wearing a pink sweater?
****

Today's link is.Cindy's Stuff. Remember to put the words Dr. John in your comment to get JCPOINTS. Rember you get JCPOINTS for comments on my blog as well. See your JCPOINTS total here.Today's link was suggested by Annette Burkette.
Betty went to Tops. St. Vincent decided it didn't want our recliner. I put the recliner, a couch, rocker, DVD player and shelf on free cycle. Betty came home and we finished another part of the living room. Then she went and had her hair done. She is as beautiful as ever. Blogger stayed up so I got to all the blogs on my list tonight. I hate it when I can't leave a comment. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

16 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Go to some of the cable network websites -- like HGTV and the like that have those organization shows. Apply and see if you can get on. I have thought of it many times myself.

Janet
Doctor of Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained.

Update on Band contest. My son's band didnt get in. It was a bit of a long shot -- Madison band competing with Minneapolis bands in the Minneapolis market. But thanks for everyone's support.

5:35 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I would come and tell you what to keep and what to give away but I do not think you will like me very much afterwards. Remember, you can always rent a storage unit to keep stuff you do not have room for but cannot part with. (Around Green Bay, it is between $30 -$45 a month). It is also a good way to get things you do not need right away or for daily living out of your house.

5:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Dr. John,

I wish I were there to help with the house. Of course, I wouldn't be much help, as I can't stand to part with ANYTHING. I'd probably end up bringing all of your discards home with me! I know how hard this whole thing is.

A friend of mine recently told me of having a "Free Yard Sale." Put all your discards out and let the neighbors take 'em away. You'll get rid of a lot of stuff, to good homes, and the neighbors will have something to remember you by!

Also, there's a charity organization here that helps ex-homeless families set up housekeeping. They will, literally, accept anything you have in your house: from major appliances and furniture, down to books and collectible/display items. They'll even come pick the items up. Maybe there's something like that close to your location.

~

I'm glad to see Pigeon Falls dealing with some real-life issues. After all, racism, troublesome city officials, and giant white rabbits are everywhere!

6:02 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

I know just how you feel about moving, it is such a pain....I to am a packrat. I store everything in my garage, couldnt get a car in there if you paid me. When my kids need a piece of furniture or something they go to the garage first to see if I have it...lol.

Small towns are very racist usually...

8:32 AM  
Blogger CindyMae said...

Dr. John, thanks for sending people my way!

God Bless,
Cindy

8:39 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

Well i have much to read...congratulations on your new home...i can relate with the struggles that moving brings. i'm sorry that you both have so much work ahead. i hope your sons can come and help...

hope you have been well...will try to catch up soon. best to you and Betty.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Dr. John, I have remodeled my morning cyberwalk. From now on you will be first! I truly enjoy your stories and the cyber visits you pick for us. Thank you.

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got the same problem, Doc.

I've already had several "boot sales" to reduce the number of books (or is that "trunk sales"). I hate getting rid of books, but until I set up a public library, I'm going to have to do some more.

Our garage is full to the roof with "stuff".

Well, you never know when I might need that blood pressure monitor the mother-in-law bought me for my birthday...

Hang on, do you think was she trying to tell me something?

9:53 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

On moving -- this is what I was told to do: if you haven't used something in a year, ask yourself how your life would be changed if you didn't have it, then ask God, no lover of possessions, what virtue there is in keeping it. (This is supposed to make getting rid of it easier and it worked a small bit for me -- until I got tired of agonizing over every little possession, packed them up and stuck them in storage.)

9:56 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

good luck on sorting things out. It is hard but oh it feels so good once it is done. When we moved to this village the first thing we did was have a garage sale. It was a great opportunity to meet our new neighbours and locals too.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I hate moving- promised myself once we got where we are now, we'd stay put. When we moved up here, we moved from a 7 bedroom house to a 3 bedroom. Talk about downsizing...but they do say if you have not used an item in six months to get rid of it. Doesn't make it painless though...

1:01 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

Oh I feel for you shifting! I had to move across the world,from Oklahoma to New Zealand and we had to really downsize! Its even harder when your sick and have years of stuff..good luck with the financing.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Good luck on the move! We moved to a slightly larger house about 5 years ago and have managed to collect even more priceless junk. It's hard to give anything up, you never know when you'll want it again. My husband is the opposite of me, he throws away all of my good stuff!

7:11 PM  
Blogger kristi said...

Moving is always frustrating and buying a new home is even more frustrating, but remember if it is meant to be it will all fall into place.......

One question, if you move will there be a Pigeon Falls still???

What is with this racial issue in Pigeon Falls??? Oh this cannot be, these people are far better than that!!! I hope that they will all come to their senses and realize that people are all the same, no matter what color.

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The more space you have, the more stuff you keep. Look at the impending move as a chance to identify the truly important "stuff" in your life.

Good luck with the move. And welcome to the neighborhood.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Chris Beason said...

If I was there I'd come help for free. My mom and I provide a service similar to that and we're not too expensive. You might call around and check. Thanks for adding Cindy's Stuff as the link of the day! I need to catch up...I'm a day behind!

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home