Thursday, July 13, 2006

My Grandfather James


Saying for the Day: A man's life is made up of many little things.

When Betty and I went to England we spent some time learning some things about my Grandfather James Lanyon. A quick list of these

1.He was born in Cornwald, England

2. He had a sister named Dora

3. He was Baptized in the State Church of England

4. “He took Jesus as his Savior” according to Dora “in a little Methodist Church in the middle of a Cornish field. He was sixteen at the time.

5. He always called me little Jim in the letters he sent from America even though James was my second name.

Some things we learned at home

1. He was anti union and voted against the first unionization in retaliation for which the union threw his lunch pail, the one given him by the company, into the crusher.

2. He was very stressed when Uncle Donald was a prisoner of war. during world war II and they had no idea where he was.

3. He died of stomach cancer that was brought on by the stress (According to Jim).

4. He loved Christmas and the gathering that came with it.

5. He loved his entire family.

6.His daughter Edith said he was the best of fathers.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– the little town in my backyard– Robert now has local people joining his evening tour group in the hopes of seeing the latest white rabbit event. Last night only Robert’s white rabbit showed up and they were a little disappointed.
Somebody told Nancy that Mrs. Trumble has purchased a shotgun. I think she is getting ready for the next time she sees the white rabbit. One hope she knows that this is not rabbit season and that she has to have a licensee. In any case it might be dangerous to be any where near her place if she decides to start shooting. One hopes Eino will have a talk with her.
Tommy, the undertaker’s kid , is in trouble again or still. His dad caught him trying to sneak out last night when he was grounded because of the fireworks incident. He wouldn’t tell his dad where he was going. I suspect he’s helping Robert. In any case he is even more grounded than before.
The Pigeon Days committee has asked that people think less about the white rabbit and more about pigeons. Frank suggested a pigeon pie baking contest, or they think it was Frank.
The noise and the lights at the Chicago hermit’s house have both increased. The story Robert is telling could be used for the Liar’s Cup contest. It just gives you the shivers.
Mayor South would be up for election in the fall elections but she has clearly stated she won’t run. She is all through being Mayor when this term is over. Maybe Nancy would run. She sure could be elected.
*****

The link for today is The Collage of Clouded Lucidity. Remember to put the words Dr. John in the comment to get usless JCPOINTS. To check on your JCPOINTS click here.
Betty went to the ELCW picnic. I checked on a source ( not Di-Tech Esther) for a loan for the Neenah building. In the afternoon we cleaned another part of the living room . We hope to finish it tomorrow. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

12 Comments:

Blogger Catch said...

ha ha!! Im first! Dr John??? A pigeon pie baking contest???? And that would be a pie made of pigeons?

4:09 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

VOTE FOR NANCY!
VOTE FOR NANCY!

5:20 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

I had an Uncle Donald who also was a prisoner of war and my aunt worked for the CIA. She quit when some agent she booked a flight for got murdered on that same flight.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Red said...

Was getting comments from fokes saying Dr John sent me, so I popped over to say thanks for the plug and link. Love the post!

5:54 AM  
Blogger kristi said...

I think Nancy would make an awesome mayor. She would know the gossip of what is going on and actually be able to do something about it.

I think that the story of your grandfather is interesting, it is amazing that you went all the way to England to find out about him.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Pigeon -- squab -- is considered a delicay. My friend Janet ordered squab at a fancy restaurant, wanting to try something new. As we drove away from the restaurant our boss and host told Janet that she'd just eaten a pigeon. Luckily he told her at a stop sign -- otherwise I am certain our next stop would have been the car wash, not church.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Oh my gosh! I just saw the link to my blog! How did you lift that little bit of my wallpaper, Dr. John? And thank you -- how sweet.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

How wonderful that you both got learned all the different facets of your granpa James. Man is like puzzles, made up of many different shapes and colors and at the end a beautiful picture.
********
Nancy for Mayor? wow! but i guess because she knows the town inside and out she might be just what they need.
***************
thank you for your lovely comment. yes, separation was very painful both from my kids and having to re-say goodbye to my family but it's life and i must learn to accept and be happy with what gifts i have had. it's great to see you haven't stop writting. it's comforting to come back to your stories and memories. thank you.

9:56 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

Ugh, this still eat pigeon pie in england. I have never tried that, or eel pie eeeeeeeeek!

My grandad was called James. Such a lovely name.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

I'm trying to figure out who is who and what is what in Pigeon Falls.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Chris Beason said...

Pigeon pie? Is that kind of like Blackbird pie? Who would want to judge that!

3:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'd love to know more about my grandparents. There's really no way to do so, at this point -- what a shame.

5:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home