My Grandfather James
Saying for the Day: A man's life is made up of many little things.
When Betty and I went to England we spent some time learning some things about my Grandfather James Lanyon. A quick list of these
1.He was born in Cornwald, England
2. He had a sister named Dora
3. He was Baptized in the State Church of England
4. “He took Jesus as his Savior” according to Dora “in a little Methodist Church in the middle of a Cornish field. He was sixteen at the time.
5. He always called me little Jim in the letters he sent from America even though James was my second name.
Some things we learned at home
1. He was anti union and voted against the first unionization in retaliation for which the union threw his lunch pail, the one given him by the company, into the crusher.
2. He was very stressed when Uncle Donald was a prisoner of war. during world war II and they had no idea where he was.
3. He died of stomach cancer that was brought on by the stress (According to Jim).
4. He loved Christmas and the gathering that came with it.
5. He loved his entire family.
6.His daughter Edith said he was the best of fathers.
News from Pigeon Falls– the little town in my backyard– Robert now has local people joining his evening tour group in the hopes of seeing the latest white rabbit event. Last night only Robert’s white rabbit showed up and they were a little disappointed.
Somebody told Nancy that Mrs. Trumble has purchased a shotgun. I think she is getting ready for the next time she sees the white rabbit. One hope she knows that this is not rabbit season and that she has to have a licensee. In any case it might be dangerous to be any where near her place if she decides to start shooting. One hopes Eino will have a talk with her.
Tommy, the undertaker’s kid , is in trouble again or still. His dad caught him trying to sneak out last night when he was grounded because of the fireworks incident. He wouldn’t tell his dad where he was going. I suspect he’s helping Robert. In any case he is even more grounded than before.
The Pigeon Days committee has asked that people think less about the white rabbit and more about pigeons. Frank suggested a pigeon pie baking contest, or they think it was Frank.
The noise and the lights at the Chicago hermit’s house have both increased. The story Robert is telling could be used for the Liar’s Cup contest. It just gives you the shivers.
Mayor South would be up for election in the fall elections but she has clearly stated she won’t run. She is all through being Mayor when this term is over. Maybe Nancy would run. She sure could be elected.
The link for today is The Collage of Clouded Lucidity. Remember to put the words Dr. John in the comment to get usless JCPOINTS. To check on your JCPOINTS click here.
Betty went to the ELCW picnic. I checked on a source ( not Di-Tech Esther) for a loan for the Neenah building. In the afternoon we cleaned another part of the living room . We hope to finish it tomorrow. Well I need a breathing treatment.