Thursday, July 20, 2006

You'll break your arm.

Saying for the Day: Sometimes history repeats itself.

This is another family story from a long time ago.
It happened when my mother , then Edith Lanyon, was ten or eleven years old.

At that point in her life she was a bit of a tomboy and decided to walk the top of the fence.
Now the fence at my grandmother’s house ran all along the front yard.
There was a two by four along the top to which the boards were attached.

My mother decided to become a tightrope artist.
She made it half way down the fence when she lost her balance and fell off.
In the fall she broke her arm and ended up with it in a cast.

Now the story should end there but it doesn’t.
Her sister Doris wanted to know how my mother broke her arm and somehow talked her back up on the fence to show her.
This time she fell on the other arm and broke it as well.

For the next couple of weeks my Aunt Doris ended up having to feed her since both arms were in casts and my grandmother was upset that Doris had played apart in the second break.

So you see I come from a line of people that tend to break body parts.

@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– The little town in my backyard– Another day with no white rabbit sightings, no dragon , and no pigeon problems ( if you don’t count the droppings).
Plans for the big wedding continue and the excitement is growing. The weather better be nice because they plan a big outside reception in the afternoon and early evening. They are putting up a huge tent out at the Maki farm. They will move all the cows to the back forty for the day and are cleaning out the front barn in case it rains. I think they will put the bar in the barn in any case. The local florist has a trainload of flowers coming in just for the wedding. They have even hired outside caterers from Marquette. Oh this is going to be some wedding. I understand they have rented a special train car ( engine and passenger car all in one) to take them to the Skylite motel and its bridal sweet late in the evening.
Pete Linna is going to come with Lori and do some fishing with Eino. The kids will stay with the grandparents who are delighted to have them.
There was of course one viewing of a white rabbit last night but it was Robert’s so the locals disregard it. Its just for the tourists.
Tommy, the undertaker’s kid hasn’t been allowed out of the house all week. His dad has a tight hold on him. I think he is sorry about the rocket through the window. I also think he is driving his dad nuts so his grounding should end pretty soon.
The committee has found a celebrity to lead the Pigeon Day parade but just like last year they aren’t giving out the name. When asked for a hint the head of the committee , Mrs. Azur Periwinkle said M. That’s all the hint they would give. We don’t know if that’s a first or last or only initial. But it is a TV star because somebody knows somebody who has a cousin on the committee and heard from her that it was a TV star.
****

The link for today is: Green Jewls- Remember to put the words Dr. John in the comment to get JCPOINTS. Everybody wants JCPOINTS.Nobody knows why. To check on your JCPOINTS click here.
Another day of cleaning and packing. With the help of Peter and Lori we finished the main basement room. They also took all the garbage to the dump. Esther, its's ready for people to walk through and for you to sell them the house. The only room left to clean is the study. We also had a little time with the grandkids which was nice. One of the reasons we are moving or hope to move is the grandkids. Now we will see what happens. I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

12 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

And I always wished I had a sister.

3:55 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Your mother must have a natural tendency for symmetry.

5:05 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

oh my, BOTH arms!!!!!
I love hearing your stories.

5:42 AM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

She must have felt so terrible not having to use both hands and your aunt maybe had felt guilty on the second fall. I don't think it's a pattern. These are just accidents and accidents are mostly coincidental.
Thanks for visiting.

5:49 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

oh your poor mother. what a horrible summer that must have been. i wonder is she ever walked the fence after that. poor girl.
i love your family stories. i am so grateful you share them. i think it's a wonderful tribute to your wonderful family.
******
the wedding preparations sound so lovely. outside wedddings need a backup, so i'm glad for the barn cleaning. great the Mr. Peter will join Lori, sounds like great fun.
Tommy sounds like a true rambontious teen. They have their hands full there. A TV star eh? well, can't wait to hear who it is.
*********
I thank you dearly for having 'them' in your daily prayers. I'm so happy that you pray for them. I know it's a great help. Thank you.

Good that you have Lorri's help. Everyone must be starring to get exhausted. I'm sorry we all can't help. Pls pass on our love and salutations to Betty and Lorri.
Pls becareful all of you. No back injuries or heat stroke or work exhaustion.
Have a wonderful day and read you tomorrow. Take care and be well.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

A celebrity to lead the parade, name starts with M, hmmmm, Madonna?

7:15 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

My brother fell out of a tree when he was little and broke both arms...lol..we teased him because Mom had to feed him.

I am trying to think of a movie star with the name M.....Mary Tyler Moore?

9:03 AM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Oh my, what a story! Ouch!!

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow thats funny am I the only one in this famiy not to break a bone between when I was born and now? I only spraied my wrist ...Ah a cupple times.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Laughing too hard to type. Oh your poor momma! I bet it was hard for her to see the humor in this while she was living it!

10:43 AM  
Blogger Bella said...

LOL! What a clever sister. I was the second person to break a bone in my family and my father recently broke his leg.

Both arms broken though; I can't imagine not being able to have hands or arms for six weeks.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

This story haunted me all day long. Today I am thankful for two healthy arms -- and Dr. John.

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home