Thursday, July 27, 2006

Pity Me and the watch !



Saying for the day: If it isn't broken don't hit it with a hammer.

This is a story of my father but it has nothing to do with the deer he is pictured with. After high school my father went to Ferris State College to study pharmacy. There he met a young lady who, for the moment, he was in love with. She thought it would be forever. When he graduated and came home he forgot his watch at her place.
Once he was home he went to the Marquette County Fair and there he met my mother and fell hopelessly in love. The other girl vanished from his mind until he remembered his very expensive watch which had been a gift from his father.So he wrote to her and asked her to send it to him. One might think that a reasonable request but she didn’t. So she sent him the watch after she had pounded it with a hammer. He got an envelope full of watch pieces. Sort of a watch kit.
Now I have no idea what the girl’s name was because when the story was told my mother always called her “ Pity Me”.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– The little town in my backyard where the dragons still fly free.-Again there were no sightings of the dragon or the White Rabbit yesterday or this morning. Some think perhaps the dragon caught the rabbit. But that Rabbit has been smart enough to stay out of Eino’s way for over a year so he should be able to out think a dragon. Besides dragons aren’t known for their smarts are they? Mrs. Trumble thinks they are both demons and probably working together to some evil end. She has been practicing shooting with her new shotgun.
Well the groceries are still there so Eino and the Constable are going to break in this afternoon. We’ll let you know tomorrow what they discover if anything..
Tomorrow Mayor South will announce the tentative Pigeon Falls celebration schedule. It should also include who will head up the parade.
Pastor Marvel was visiting at the Center of Joy nursing home and Mrs. Helemer Mattson asked him when he was leaving. Pastor Marvel then asked her where he was going. She said that she heard he was taking a call to another church. Pastor Marvel said that he is always the last one to find out what he is doing but he doesn’t think he is going anywhere.
Nancy says the Pigeon Days Planning Committee is still fighting over the full schedule but have come up with the tentative one the Mayor will read tomorrow. Some significant additions could be made she said but wouldn’t elaborate.
****

The link for today is The Big Scary Unknown. Remeber to leave the words DR. John in your comment in order to get usless JCPOINTS. Check your points HERE.
And now for the drawing of the day. Yesterday we drew Jafabrit if we draw her again today she gets what's in the prize box.
Ah but luck did not come her way. Sorry Jafabrit. Today's name drawn is Lois on the Web . If she is drawn tomorrow she gets the Christmas train. Perhaps her mother who is visiting might enjoy it.
Well we got up early this morning and set up tables for the rummage sale. We set up four big tables and a card table. We did pretty well for our first try. We have lots of rummage yet that we didn't even put out. One odd thing is I got $12 for some HO track and stuff that I couldn't even get $ 1.25 bid on E-Bay . Somebody asked if the Pigeon Falls layout was for sale. I said sure for $120,000 and I'll throw in my house. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

18 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

good morning.

i am sorry for the watch for it was a special gift but the story is a funny though...my what a temper Pity Me had...i guess i understand, she must have been heads over heels wishing and hoping for your daddy but still....yikes.. i love how your mother named her, lol...she sounds like she was quite a funny lady.
************
i betcha the rabbit is well. probably just hidding until the next chase scene with the dragon.
i be scared of Mrs. Tumble practicing shooting any time...yikes...people hide...
Can't wait to see if the hermit is inside and well.
Maybe he is not even in town.
Pastor Marvels answer was awesome and so true. so many times the 'one' talked about it's the last to find out what they 'suppossibly' said or did anyways. lol.
***********************
hope you and Betty had a good night. good luck with the yard sale. take care and read you tomorrow.

5:20 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I never destroyed anything that did not belong to me....on purpose anyway. But, as you know, I have been known to throw things away!!!!!!

6:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! That was a lucky escape for him that he didn't end up marrying her!

She might have pounded him with a hammer.

7:19 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

I can understand why she did it although I don't think it would be something I would have done eek!

8:17 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Dr. John -- one wonders why your Daddy took off his watch at Pity Me's house? One also wonders if she gave him something she considered more valuable then his watch, and he destroyed that? Hmmmm ...

You know I lived in a very small town for a boring 18 months. The greatest excitement seemed to be who fell off the bar stool the previous night at Kelly's Bar.

8:49 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

I just saw my name got picked :), keeping fingers crossed. This is fun.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

Haha...had to laugh on the watch story....kinda like me and the diamond ring from Texas! Us females are great until you mess with us!

11:56 AM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

I love tha t story thanks for telling it to us i just love it.

12:31 PM  
Blogger DarthImmortal said...

Thanks for the photo and the story.

It's interesting how in our lives we dodge bullets; and then some bullets hit us square in the face.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Your dad sure dodged a bullet there...
The worst I ever did was tear up a guy's letter into thousands of little pieces and mailed it back to him.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

That was such a sweet story to share. Thank heavens your Momma came along and stole his heart, or we wouldn't have you Dr. John. Take care and God bless.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Pity Me, that's a new one - I wonder if she's related to Poor Pitiful Pearl?

2:36 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

My web cam is working again! It looks at the big bay in my "back yard." Check it out!! I'm very, very happy to have it up and running. some day I'll get a better camera but this will do for now.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Bella said...

Yep, sounds like she was a real winner. Let's just be thankful that it was his watch on not his hand. Not that she could have hurt him pysically but you'll never know with some crazy people who become stalkers.

I wanna see that dragon. ;)

4:41 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

So did that watch take a lickin and keep on tickin?

4:42 PM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

I wondered why he took the watch off too.

4:49 PM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

That was a very cruel thing to do. If she really loved him, she would have just kept the watch for keepsake. I would have kept it instead of breaking it. At least I have something with me from the man I used to love.

6:11 PM  
Blogger fennymun said...

Interesting story. I wonder what he expected when he asked it back. Well, I would also have kept it and sent back a note "it's gone (both love and the watch) forever".

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home