Thursday, August 03, 2006

Better than Disney Land


Saying for the Day: There is no place in the world like camp.

Every summer from the time I was about eight until I was fourteen we went for a week to Jennie’s camp.
(My Aunt Jennie had a camp on a lake near Iron Mountain) .
I'm the tall, handsome one in this picture.

When school was out we could hardly wait for the special week to come.
It was our trip to Disney Land.

There was my mother, my sister Dawn, My Aunt Viola, my cousin Edward, my cousin Ann and myself.
I was the oldest. Edward was the youngest.
Viola drove because my mother didn’t drive.

On the way to the camp we would stop in Iron Mountain at the five and dime and each kid got one toy.
It was an adventure.

At the camp we swam, a lot.
We spent a good part of the day in the water and always got sun burned. ( Nobody worried then about skin cancer)
We went boating, a lot. (We pretended we were pirates).
We went fishing, not as much.
We threw all the fish back and never cooked or ate any.
We went exploring around the lake.
We ate great food because it was different from home.

Kids today expect so much more and get so much more.
But we were happy. ( Except when us kids got into fights)
We felt special and lucky and I guess we were.

I will always have those memories of a very innocent time.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls – The little town in my back yard where liar’s belong to the Liar’s club.– Eino tried again this morning but the manager of off premise projects still wasn’t in. Eino wonders if they are stalling him but he doesn’t know what else to do except keep trying.

To bring you up to date on what’s happening during Pigeon Fest. Tuesday they held the Pigeon Calling contest. There were 25 contestants. They tried every kind of conceivable bird call you can imagine and some you can’t. They were not allowed to use bird seed . The pigeon had to come because of the call. The only one that came close to winning the $1000 prize was Tommy the undertaker’s kid. The pigeon flew over his head and looked for a moment like it was going to land on his head but the suddenly it flew away. Tommy had really been practicing that call and was very disappointed.

Big Rudy finally found something he could do besides getting knocked out . He won the pasty eating contest. He ate fourteen of the those great big meal size pasties. Joseph Horning , last year’s winner was back and he ate thirteen, same as last year, but then looked slightly green and quit. Jon Bergall quit after twelve just like last year. Big Rudy was as proud as one could be . At least now he has something he can brag about.

Art on the yellow brick road starts today and a lot of artists are here selling their works. W. J. St. Christopher has some really different tree pictures for sale and an artist called Jafabrit has a disturbing painting of a pervert called “Tit for Tat”. There is some guy out there who has welded a bunch of drain pipes together and called it “ Up the Down” . That is not my idea of art but to each his own. He wants $325 for that piece. I have to take up welding.

Nancy has promised to keep us up to date on what’s happening in Pigeon Fest and in the rest of Pigeon Falls.
****

Today's Link is An Artist's Blog So if your worn and tired fingers are up to it type Dr. John (one more time) in the comment for a meager five JCPOINTS. Check your JCPOINTS HERE
Yesterday we drew Jafabrit. If we draw her again she gets what's in the prize box.And the name drawn today is Catch. Sorry Jafabrit. ( Sorry Brea who wants somebody to win already) Good luck Catch.
Marathoon results should be posted by early evening. There are so many people involved this time it will take that long to process them.
It will take even longer since my DSL has been down all day due to some AT&T problem.
I will blog tomorrow about the problems. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

25 Comments:

Blogger starbender said...

ahh, life was sooo innocent then! I miss those carefree days! We R headed no-where good nowadays-- Kids R spoiled, have NO manners -or- respect! sad :"(

Pigeon Falls is such a busy place this time of yr.

I stopped in yesterday, but, i didn't have the time 2 join in on the marathon :( but I think it is an excellent idea!

Thanx 4 the traffic!

:)

5:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What wonderful memories of your summer vacations. Kids today, I think, miss out on so much by having to be entertained all the time. Imagination was a magical thing.

5:48 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

Oh my! I couldn't even get two pasties down my throat LOL!

thanks for the shout out :) Will have to check out the pipe artist.

memories are so important and it sounds like you have some really wonderful one's to sustain you and make you smile.

5:53 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

Dr.John do you have a link to the artist who did “ Up the Down” ?

6:33 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Oh how I long for the simple good ole days and times such as camping. It's not the same now as I sit there contemplating about my responsibilities, job and bills. Maybe when I retire? Thanks again Dr. John for a delightful post.

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay maybe if I stop asking Somebody will win? Did I right thst down Opps! I would enjoy that trip you know I would thanks for not eating the poor fish. I don't like It when people eat Fish! i THINK i COMMENTED oN more than 30 blogs but you can show me wrong.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I did not do too much in the marathon because since it is summer and the kids are home and we started this "eat at home only" policy I have been preparing food ALL DAY LONG! I'm exhausted....

But, I did get more comments than ever before so I will be sure to send them a thank you....

8:10 AM  
Blogger Neoma said...

Dr. John, I am going to have to write to you and find out some information.......I am a new comer to your blog.....and am not quite sure yet how the Marathon works, and the Liar's Club...hhmmmmmmm you have me wondering...it this for real......I just need a litte information so I know what is going on, right now I feel a bit like Alice in Wonderland running after the White Rabbit.....without a clue whre I am...but I am enjoying the adventure....... :):)

Summer Camp, ah Grandma used to send me to church camp each year. We were very poor so I do not know how she came up with the money, but she did, and those were some happy memories. Personally I think kids today are missing out on so much. All they want to do is play Nintendo, we didn't have Nintendo, and truthfully I am glad. We made our own fun out of doors. Kids nowday seldom go outside, or anyway mine don't. I thought to take them back to the country, so I bought a five acrea place way out in the country in Louisiana, very rural. But found that city kids don't like the country, it was a failure, because we didn't have cable.....sigh

8:12 AM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

Can I win the prize box?

8:14 AM  
Blogger Meredith said...

I don't know. even with all the fancy schmancy toys out there, I still see kids having a ton of fun with a big cardboard box. I jumping into a lake/pool trying to come up with the craziest jump.

My fondest memory of summer camp is turtle hunting. where we'd catch turtles with our hands, paint our initials on their bellies with nail polish and set them free, hoping the next week we couldcatch the same one.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

I can only imagine what a beautiful memory that is. I can remember times with my cousins when we were little and its always fun to look back on. Kids dont seem to enjoy the same things as we did anymore. If we found a creek we could play all day in that thing building dams and just having great fun.

Also thanks for the traffic yesterday! If I had known you were coming Id have baked a cake!!! lol

9:20 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

This past year I was telling one of my numerous childhood stories to my class and a studnet interrupted. He said he didn't believe my stories because things like that never happened to him. Many other kids agreed. I told them to put down their remote controls and go outside! Oh, to be a kid again ...

10:44 AM  
Blogger Neoma said...

Isn't it sad, a whole generation of kids that really never felt what it was like to be a real kid. Running and jumping and tearing around. My chldhood is so different from my own kids, it breaks my heart. And we were dirt poor.......someone said, they have more fun with the cardboard box, isn't that the truth. I remember we bought my son a toy in a big box, he played for hours with the box!! Much longer than he played with the toy. Should have got him a box. haha

Remember making a tent in the living room with blanket? Remember chasing bug with a jar.
Just rolling a tin can with your shoe......

Grandma would make a toy with a piece of long string, and we played for hours with it.....weaving it around our fingers.

I would go back in a heartbeat.....even if it meant being poor. But to that time....not poor in this time. Everyone was poor back then that I knew.
i

10:55 AM  
Blogger Neoma said...

I want to thank Dr. John for sending you all to my blog, I met so many nice people this way. What a wonderful idea........

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good times, hey?

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just popped on to say thanks - both to Dr John and everyone who left comments on my blog today. I will try to answer them all individually in due course and pay a visit to all those new blogs :-)

I'm glad to know that many of you enjoyed my work and that of some of the artists I have featured.

Nickola

12:31 PM  
Blogger Kev Brown said...

You really can't beat those childhood memories, great stuff!!!

1:59 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

i never went to camp. but all i hear is the wonderful stories of experiencing them.
i think the fact that your family went with you and that it was your aunts camp made it that much more special. a wonderful memory. the pictures are also great. i love looking at them.
********
Eino might be getting put off..it only makes the mystery bigger.
Tommy must be disspointed alright. he actually put effort into something and as far as he is concerned it didn't pay up..Rudy needs to find more positive things to do. he will stay out of trouble if he sees he can do good.
*****************
i love that you mention Christopher and Jafabrit in your stories. it is a nice thing to do.
good luck with all the work from the marathon. so many people, so many blogs, alot of work...thank you. don't over tired pls. take care and read you tomorrow.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

We were not allowed to sit around in front of the tv when it was nice outside. We did not have computers, talking on the phone was a rare treat, we did not have video games and we did not have money but what we did have was IMAGINATION and we were made to use it. I wouldn't trade that for anything!

3:23 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

sorry to interrupt but you have to see this- go take a walk in http://neomasgarden.blogspot.com/, it's nea's work and it is gorgeous!

4:11 PM  
Blogger kristi said...

Dr. John it seems as if you had a wonderful childhood filled with lots of memories. Maybe if there were no 24hr. cartoon channels, game systems and hi tech gadgets for kids we could get back to basics

5:17 PM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

I have so many similar childhood memories of fun family trips, usually to visit my grandparents. What a fun sounding trip. I wish things were as simple now for my kids as they were then.

9:32 PM  
Blogger fennymun said...

Childhood memories are always so precious and one wish to go back to those innocent and carefree days. I wish I could bring sweet memories to my boys also...

10:16 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

thank you Cindy...:):)

10:43 PM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

It's funny how others can content themselves with unnatural happiness when mother nature itself is pure happiness.

4:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home