Friday, August 04, 2006

Bad luck and then some.

Saying for the day: Luck comes in two kinds good and mine.

Does bad luck come in bunches?
Yesterday I set aside the morning to tally up the Marathon.
I had everything ready.

Just as I was going to start some idiot in Northern Wisconsin cut through a cable and I had no DSL, no internet.
AT&T put there best people to work on it and with the speed of an old dot matrix printer they had it repaired by 5:00.

So now I am way behind but we had a backup plan.
Betty would tally one half and I would tally the other.

There were two problems with this.
First we had to get her back on the internet since the nice man I talked to at AT&T service said it could be the house net that was the problem so we pulled the house net and attached the internet to my computer only ( it didn’t help because it was AT&T’s fault all along.
This problem took a little while but it got fixed.

Then we were ready and Betty’s monitor went.
It just quit working. How much bad luck can you have in one day?

I think we had our quota.
In any case I only finished tallying half and will have to finish the other half today.
I will post as soon as I finish.

@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– The little town in my back yard where the trains still run.- Eino still hasn’t been able to get any information from the company in Chicago but he is still trying.

Another round of Liar’s club stories today and again only one person made the cut off. It was Donna Bergall who is as good a story teller as her husband Jon. This is her story
“ I am a little afraid to tell this story since the last time I told it a lady tried to hit me with an umbrella. She really loved canaries. My friend George had a big yellow canary . I don’t know if they come in any other color. In any case his was yellow. It was big. It was almost pigeon size. Now George’s canary had the run of the house and they never kept it caged. It went everywhere that George went. One day when George was having a beer her poured a little into a saucer and the canary had a drink. Well that canary liked that beer. In fact that canary loved that beer. George got a kick out of that. So every day he gave the canary whose name was Thelma another little drink. The amount got larger and larger until Thelma was flying around the house in a very strange manner. George had a drunken canary on his hands. But still he would give her the beer. One night he gave her even more than usual and she became completely erratic. She flew just a few feet above the floor, bumping into chair legs as she flew .So just as I was coming in Thelma flew between my legs and out the door. Well George and I and Nancy chased after her but by the time we got there my cat had the poor low flying bird in his mouth. George got Thelma away from the cat and carried it in the house. He gave it one last drink to make it comfortable and it seemed to die happy. I felt bad about what ahppened but George didn’t blame me . I wasn’t the one that got the stupid canary drunk. The little old lady with the umbrella didn’t see it that way. I do think there is a moral to this story. If you fly don’t drink. Now this is a true story and if you visit George you will find in his back yard a little plaque commemorating Thelma’s last flight. “

Well it could be true. The next time I visit George I’ll look for the plaque.
*****

Today's link: For What It's Worth - Remember to leave a comment with the words Dr. John and get 5 tiny little JCPOINTS. See your total of JCPOINTS by clicking HERE.
Well yesterday we drew Catch and if she is drawn today she wins what's in the prize box. And the name drawn is Jafabrit. Sorry Catch (sorry Bree and yes you can win). Jafabrit if only it was yesterday you would have won. Good luck tomorrow.
The marathon points are tabulated and you can see the results by clicking HERE.
Two things. If you think you have too many points or visits just say thank you and forget it. By the end I was seeing double. If you think you have too few then drop me a note. Because my DSL was down I may have missed a few in the crannies.
I put Betty's computer back on the house net and then put her old monitor back to replace the one that failed. She is now as good as new except she misses the fancy monitor.In the afternoon we priced items for the rummage sale. Then Betty went to her birthday club . This time its Bettsy's birthday. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

12 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

well good morning..
i'm sorry for 2 things. one that you had such bad times with the internet and then the monitor. feel bad for you and Betty. two that you guys have so much on your plate to do with the move and all and the marathon has given you both that much more work.
so i thank you both so much for your hard work and trying so hard. little by little you are making quite the community here. it is us who get to have fun in meeting each other but it is you two who have to do the hard work at the end with the tallying and all..

don't worry about posting the results..it will come when it comes and we can practice our patience virtue.
*********
it is good that Donna can play with the big guys and all but i don't know if it's such a good thing to have 2 great liars in one household and married to each other..that could get scary.
Eino is not the only one hoping for any news i'm sure in town...can't wait to see how it all turns.
***********
Well congrats to Bree on her winning..yuppi...hope you have a better day today with no computer oops! say hello to Betty and give her a big hug pls. take care and read you tomorrow.

5:14 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Man, it stinks that even your back up plan failed. That is rotten luck....

5:46 AM  
Blogger kristi said...

Dr. John,
when it rains, it pours!!!! Take your time with the Marathon Results. Hopefully today will be better for you

7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A drunk Cannari you might have gone to far this time but sounds right . Huh. WIN SOMEBODY WINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
Did Betty get her moniter fixed or does she need to call again what linna family Luck.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

That flying canary story sounds too plausible to have actually happened in Pigeon Falls -- the town where incredulous things happen every day.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Sorry about all your computer troubles. :( You work so hard to let us have this fun game to play...

12:47 PM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Good Luck when it comes not in bunches. But when bad luck comes usually they come in bunches as you say. I have experienced this many times. It may be coincidental or it may be true, I really don't know but I'd rather think it coincidental than true.

6:50 PM  
Blogger fennymun said...

Sorry to hear about your computer problems. When bad lucks come in bunches, sometimes I comfort myself by saying that it's God's bunches of tests to train my patience. Yet, God, You know my limit though...

7:47 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

Dont you just hate it when your computer is down??? And the comapny trying to make you think it was your computer instead of their problem...they are real good at that! Glad to hear your up and running again!!!!!

11:45 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

I am really enjoying you blog, but in addition, i am enjoying the way you have found to spread the joy around with your marathons and blog of the day. What a wonderful idea. So glad you included me....

Grandma used to say, Thank the lord for bad luck, or I wouldn't have any luck........sounds like you had one of Grandma's Days.....

My grandma was a jewel....I wish she were still here with me.....I miss her everyday of my life.

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John
I appreciate the new visitors to my blog. Thank you for sending them my way. I hope you all come back for a visit and a look into my crazy life.
I am sorry to hear of computer issues. As a wife of a computer nerd, I know how very frustrating it can be even for the literate and professional types. Hope it all works out and you have stress free blogging.
Again, thank you for the posts and your thoughtfulness.

11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I notice blogs like this one incredibly informative when searching for tadalafil. It really can help when you come across an top notch source from a trustworthy company. The deals are wonderful as well, specifically for vardenafil.

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home