Thursday, August 10, 2006

Polly-my Parrot

Saying for the day: You can't teach old parrots new tricks.

When Betty and I lived in Chicago in Seminary housing I decided to buy a parrot.
It was advertised in the local paper.
It was not very expensive and I had always wanted a parrot.

I suppose all the stories of Grandma Leidia’s parrot were the reason I wanted one.
So Betty, being a good wife, let me get Polly.

I know that’s not a very original name but he was named before we got him.

He knew how to say two things clearly.

He could say “ Come in” and “ How are” .
That was it.
He also muttered something but we never could figure out what it was.
We quickly learned two things about parrots; they scream a lot and they bite.
Polly did both well.
If we weren’t in the apartment he would scream at the top of his lungs or perhaps I should say he would squawk .
The neighbor’s did not like this at all.
So we had to buy a cover that could be put over the cage when we weren’t there since he never made noise in the dark.
In our first parish Polly used to invite people in when we weren’t home.
Once he invited in the Bishop.
There was a nice clear “come in” and the door wasn’t locked so the Bishop came right in and stood around wondering where we were.

Polly hated women. He would sit on his perch and when a women came close to the cage he would leap at her .
This would scare the lady and she would jump back and then Polly would laugh.
He had a mean laugh.

We gave him a dog toy which was a wood barbell .
Polly would try over and over to balance it on the perch and then stand on it.
He always got dumped and that’s when he said things you couldn’t understand.

We used to give him parakeet cage perches and he would turn them into toothpicks.
This is the reason we finally sold him.
My son Peter was born and we were afraid that he might stick his finger in the cage and Polly would do his thing on the little finger.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls-Eino secretly, well as secretly as you can do anything in Pigeon Falls, removed the hermit clothed statue from the Hermit’s house and locked it up in a closet in the basement of his garage. He was afraid somebody might sneak in and steal it. The constable and Robert helped him move it. Now he waits to see who will come looking.
The last night of the variety show was a great success. Vicky added a new Pigeon Falls song to the two she was already singing. People preferred the song about the White Rabbit to both of the others. Sometime I will get a copy and share it with you. Pastor Marvel even got up enough nerve to play the two songs he knows on the accordion and told funny stories before and after each song. I thought pastors were supposed to be supper serious. But then this is the pastor who once a year on the Sunday after Easter tells funny stories for the sermon. He calls it laugh at the devil Sunday.
The White Rabbit wasn’t to be seen after this session and the dragon hasn’t been around for a while. Perhaps things will go back to normal.
*****

Today's link: Tartan Red on Tour- Remember to put Dr. John in the comments to get those warm fuzzy JCPOINTS. Check your points HERE. You can also see the fantastic things people have won in our drawings by clicking HERE.
Yesterday we drew Catch if we draw her again today she gets what's in the prize box and my grandaughter will be very happy. So the drawing .........
And today's name is ........
Quilldancer. If she is drawn tomorrow she gets what's in the prize box.
Sorry Catch (Sorry Bree). Good luck Quilldancer
WE spent all day pricing things for tomorrow's rummage sale. I will be so glad when this is over and life can return to some kind of normal. My doctor called and saidf all my tests were back and my heart was fine and my lungs looked a little better in the xray than they had last time. I felt much better after that call. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

13 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

good morning sir.

i love your parrot story. i know i like turtles but parrots? yeap, love them!

when we were still in Nicaragua i/we had 2 of the smaller ones. in one of the shoot outs, 1 was killed by a shot and so my dad let the other fly free for his best chances.

i loved them. i played with them always. but yes, they are naughty and that is probably the attraction. they have an intelligence about them and often use it againsts us, lol..

they are quite the characters. Keka has a love for birds/parrots as well. someday she tells me we will end up being the crazy bird lady that stories are made of, lol.
********
Eino is on the right track. i like his decision. i betcha somebody will come looking.

i can see how the rabbit song would be of interest. that was a smart move.

i knew very little of Pastors before. i'm glad they are so much fun and kind and with a great sense of humor..that is probably what makes them the great Pastors they are. their ability to make you feel at ease and safe.
*****************
i hope you are feeling fine. i'm sure you are hard at work pricing and getting ready for the big sale. if my kids would live near you, i tell you they come home with all your goodies..lol..they love garage sales..they love taking their earned money and buying treasures..
hugs to Betty. hope you are both not exhausted. hoping that Pennie is alright. read you tomorrow.

4:06 AM  
Blogger Nathan Davies said...

Hi Dr John

Thanks for making me your blog of the day - your link has certainly produced more traffic and comments.

Secondly, congratulations on such a good, well-written site. I will bookmark you and add a link to my blog.

All the best for the future.

Nathan
AKA Tartan Red

5:22 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

As of today, Peter still has all his fingers.

5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have 2 parakeets that chirp and chatter all day long. I love them. Sometimes I think of getting a larger type bird, but then I remember the parrot my great-great aunt had. It was over 70 years old and mean as could be. Then there were the macaw's in the huge cage at the Central Florida Mall. So beautiful to look at, but the screams! You could hear them no matter where in the mall you went and they sounded like someone being murdered.

Eino is braver than me. Having that thing in close by would creep me out. I'd be sure it would pop up looming over me as I slept one night or some such thing.

5:33 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

We have two parakeets Pickles & Gherkin. They are currently chilling out on our front porch because they were busy squawking their little hearts out this morning.

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Win the great parate storrie love it. TCOB

6:38 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

Not in a good mood this morning, sorry, but your parrot story was fun to read and made me smile.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

While we house sat for my sister my (noe ex-)husband pulled an 18 hour shift, came home exhausted and went soon to sleep. For some reason in the middle of the night, Jasper, my sister's parrot, got it in his head to start sqwaking and carrying on. Covering his cage didn't help. Then he started yelling, "Help! Help!" My husband threatened to help him into the frying pan.

OK, so far I have believed every single thing you have said about Pigeon Falls, but I am having trouble comprehending a garage with a basement.

Hey! That's my name! That's a bit surprising, too!

7:53 AM  
Blogger Neoma said...

haha, I have a feeling it is just as well that you couldn't figure out what the parrot was saying in those moments when he fell of the balancing act.

i think you were wise to sell the parrot. I have a "pet" cardinal. They are not really pets, they are a wild bird, and I have not really tried to domesticate her, but in the act of friendship and care, she has become a pet. But when I fall asleep on the porch which I do on occasion, she comes and tries to eat my buttons. Once in awhile, she see a juicy tidbit that she feels she can eat, and I almost loose a piece of my ear lobe. They have very strong beaks......I would think a tiny finger would be no match at all for a parrot beak.

i worry about the stone statue, in a dark closet. I think there is a person dwelling inside, just waiting for someone to say the magic words........I hope they go and check on him on occasion......and leave the door unloced!

I hide my head during talent shows, they make me nervous. I am always afraid someone is going to sing who is so bad that people are going to squirm, me one of them...., and then I am going to have to be embarrassed for them, because they obviously haven't the good sense to be embarrassed for themself. I can't help it, I have tried to smile sweetly and not sink down in my chair, but I always find during talent shows, when they are over I am practically lying on the floor.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

my son has a parrot....I am scared of him...he leaps at me! he even has the dog scared...lol. I was up there the other day and I tried to make friends with him and he bit me again! I still have a scratch!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

The parrot sounds like quite the character. It probably was a good thing that his words were unintelligible when he was upset.

2:16 PM  
Blogger fennymun said...

I love your parrot stories too! A clever bird.

6:59 PM  
Blogger ArtsyTartsyViray said...

Hi Dr. John..

I never had the chance to tell you how much I enjoy what you are doing with the JC points and all.. that's really nice of you to get people to really take the time to read other's blogs..

Keep it up!

And that's for making me Blog of the Day several weeks ago.. that was good times!!

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home