Tuesday, August 29, 2006

An end and a beginning

Saying for the day: Each end of a journey is the start of the next.

Let us go one last time to the archive box.
Here is a copy of my ordination certificate.
The end of the process of becoming a pastor.

I had graduated, passed the examining committee, and received a call.
I was ready for the rite of ordination.

The ordination was to take place at my home church in Ishpeming , Michigan.
All of my relatives and friends would be there.

My grandmother hand embroidered the stole I was to receive during the ceremony as a symbol of my new role as Pastor.

There were a few problems.
The Synod President and my home Pastor were fighting so Synod sent the lowest assistant on the totem pole to do the ordaining .
It was like being ordained by the Synod janitor.
I always joked that I had clear Janitorial Succession that went all the way back to the janitor in the building where the Last Supper took place.

Then tragedy struck .
The morning of the ordination my grandmother died.
The matriarch of the family was gone.
The entire family was in shock.
The ordination could not be postponed so they all bravely came anyway.

The ceremony was wonderful and terrible.
I started to cry when they put the stole on my shoulders.
I so wished Gram could be there to see it.

But my journey to becoming a pastor was over and my journey as pastor was about to begin.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– the little town in my backyard-The White Rabbit showed up several times yesterday afternoon. Not far behind him was Mrs. Trumble with her shotgun. The word around town is that she is going rabbit hunting. So far she hasn’t caught up with him. One supposes its because she has to wait until somebody sees the Rabbit and spreads the word so she knows where to go. She’ll never catch up that way. According to her there is nobody else even trying to rid the town of this demon.
Eino says he is more afraid of her and her shotgun than he is of the White Rabbit. One of these times she is going to shoot and hit an innocent bystander . He has tried to talk her into leaving her gun at home but she won’t listen.
Tommy, the undertaker’s kid said that there was somebody in the Chicago hermit’s house last night. He saw a light moving around inside when he went by. Eino and Robert went out this morning and found the door open. But there was no way to tell who had been there or why.
The big September Fest beer drinking contest is coming up. Big Rudy always won in the past. But he is saying that he doesn’t do things like that anymore. He has bread to bake and cookies . He plans on entering the bake off. Big Rudy sure has changed.
All of the people who came home for Homecoming week were asked to right a story entitled I remember Pigeon Falls. These have all been pulled together and will be published in a book by that same title. There will be some great memories in that book.
******

Todays link: Indexed-Something completly different-Remember to leave the words Dr.John in the comment to get those stackable,off the chart, JCPOINTS. Check your total HERE.
Yesterday we drew Quilldancer if we draw her name today she gets what's in the PRIZEBOX.
We will draw when Betty gets up.

Betty is up. The slips for yesterday are cut and added to the basket.

The name drawn today is........




Cindy. Sorry Quilldancer. If Cindy is drawn tomorrow she gets what's in the PRIZE BOX.
Good luck Cindy.
Thanks to all you very wonderful people who commented on Bree's blog. This has been a hard time for her.
Betty and I went to a funeral this morning. It was the first time in a long time I put my clerics on and felt like a pastor. The man who died was a very good member of United and a World War II veteran. Over coffee afterward I got to talk with a really nice lady whose son is dieing. We talked about the strength one can draw from the faith.
People who saw the house yesterday didn't like it.
Patrick called and he's coming up tomorrow. I get to see my grandsons. Life can be good.
Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

16 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Mrs. Trumble needs to bring Elmer Fudd along on her hunting trips. They might cancel each other out and actually catch the White Rabbit.

4:59 AM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

Thank you all very much i am not ready for another dog yet but maybe
soon. Bye maya . Watch out for that shotgun

6:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Actually, I'm on the White Rabbit's side. So, I'm a little nutty.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Wow, a shocking twist to your story with your grandmother passing away.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

I do not need an apology for not winning -- I am beginning to think I will be disappointed of someone ever does win! The suspense will end and we'll all fall over ....

7:05 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I agree with Mimi. Gram had her own ordination or rather orientation that day to God's Glory and purpose from Heaven's view of the needlepoint cloth. That day was full of new beginnings for the both of you. For when in the Lord there is no end, only eternity.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

Oh Dr John....that is a very sad story. Im sure that Grandma watched the whole thing. You must have been so emotional that day.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Bella said...

Oh my gosh. That is shocking that your gandmother died on the day you were to be ordained. I am so sorry to read that. No matter what, you made it through. :)

I received my magnet and I love it!!!!!! Thank you so much.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Mimi and Margaret said it all.

Your grandmother must have been very proud of you and she has been watching over you from the start.

2:26 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

I loved the story about you becoming a pastor.Very happy and sad at the same time.

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure your grandmother would have been quite proud and pleased that you went ahead and got ordained, that she would not have wanted to be the cause of a delay.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow never hear that story before. Or I did and dont remember it. Must of been happy and sad like life huh.

See you tomarrow

7:02 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

It must have been a very hard day for you and if you think about it, it's really a lot like being a member of the clergy would be like - a day to day and never ending mix of both happy and sad.

7:18 PM  
Blogger starbender said...

Oh,
will we ever have a winner?
Dr.John~ such an adorable baby!

...gramma :"{

1:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, so, now that I am actually reading your blog. I can confirm that you are a Catholic pastor, yes?

Are you also a doctor? Hmmm...inquiring minds want to know.

You and others in your clan must have been very close to your grandmother. Matriarch is a powerful title. We lost ours last year. She lived to age 97 bless her soul. I cannot wait to see her again. She published a book of memoirs, hardcopy, perfect bound for the family and for posterity. Glad we did it now.

What do you have, other than memories (which can fade over time) to remember her by. Any three-dimentional triggers?

3:43 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

I loved your story, Grandmothers' are special.....

I like the way you write....

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home