Thursday, August 24, 2006

My mother and her kids

Saying for the day: There is no greater love than that of a mother.

My mother had 70 kids.
There was Dawn and I and my brother Robert.
Then there were 67 more.
That’s a lot of kids.

After Robert died my mother decided to take in foster children.
There was a real need for somebody to take in babies until a home could be found for them .
She decided to meet that need.
She had so much love to give and those kids needed somebody to love them.
Sometimes she had as many as four babies at one time.
The agency was not quick about placing them and when it did come time their leaving was often painful.
It was almost like losing Robert again.
But she didn’t quit despite the pain.

Now, I have to be honest and tell you I didn’t always appreciate her taking in the children. I really hated it on the nights when she and my dad would go and visit my aunt and uncle to play cards.
Dawn and I were left with four babies to care for.
Of course by the time I had a family of my own I had plenty of experience but I didn’t think of that back then.

My mother and father were honored by the agency with a special dinner and a plaque.
My mother also gained another child as she ended up adopting my sister Chris.

She was one special lady, my mother, one very special lady.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– the little town in my backyard where the trains still run– The rabbit tossing contest which was postponed on the 18th because the stuffed rabbits hadn’t arrived will be held tomorrow afternoon. There are 40 people entered in teams of two. One wonders if the White Rabbit will make an appearance.
People have started showing up for the town homecoming week. They have come from all over the country. It is surprising how many places have been touched by this little town. People seem so happy to be back and see old friends and school chums. As the week goes on it will only get better.
Robert has this last week of traffic and then he has to be back at the university on Monday. He hopes that the town’s homecoming will top off his summer.
Donna Bergall had been proudly wearing her Liar’s Club shirt. So Jon has been wearing his from last year. I think they’ll have to do it again next year to see if they can settle who the greatest liar is. I vote for Donna.
The Great ,never believable, truly high, overly exalted, grand master Liar who heads up the Liar’s Club ruled out of order the attempt to take back the charter extend to Quilldancer. Somebody in the club said that there were irregularities in the contest she ran. It had to do with her being date challenged.
Our local dragon hasn’t been seen since the parade. Mrs. Trumble has been out practicing with her shotgun every day. The White Rabbit and the dragon would do well to stay out of her way.
*****

Today's link- Jason's Incredibly Lame Blog- (The blog that answers the question of what use is chaos theory). Remember to put Dr.John in the comment to get those chaotic JCPOINTS. Check your points HERE.
Yesterday we drew W.J.St. Christopher if she is drawn today she gets what's in the PRIZE BOX.

We will draw three names when Betty gets up.

Betty is up. I have cut in the slips from yesterday.

She has drawn. And the results are:......



Catch


Quilldancer

and

Jafabrit

sorry W.J. (sorry Bree) if any of these three are drawn tomorrow that one gets the prize box. Good luck to all of you,
Betty went and served at a funeral today. Only twenty six people came. I worked on the outside layout. The sign is now done. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

16 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Blessed is the mother who knows that children are a gift from God.

4:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your mother does, indeed, sound like an extraordinary woman. I have the greatest respect for those with the gift of opening up their homes, hearts and lives to foster children.

5:24 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Oh my! My name again, but this time I know better than to get my hopes up. None of that stuff wants to leave Dr. John, so it has put some kind of hex on the drawings.

Dr. John, it really isn't nice of you to poke fun at my social life -- or lack of it. The whole world doesn't have to know I am date challenged.

Thanks a lot for for playing the game. It was quite an adventure.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

That is such a sweet memory of your Mom. How wonderful that she could open her heart and home to these little ones. When I suffered infertility I often though about doing this. I still do even with only 1 child, but I'll have to wait until we have better and more acceptable living standards.

6:57 AM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

aw i love that story . got to go fast .

7:58 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Time to start drawing three names every day to make it truly a fair contest.

8:08 AM  
Blogger ArtsyTartsyViray said...

That is so beautiful to hear!

I have so much respect for her!

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI doc and all!
U have a WONDERFUL MOM!
The world needs more mom's like her!

I finally got my clown! THANX!
...snail mail... so s-l-o-w!

Actually-the post office had it in the wrong mail! Lucky 4 me-they finally figured it out!
:)

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for her! Sounds like she was a great person.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

We have a woman and her husband in our church and they too provide foster care- they've ended up adopting several of the kids they've fostered. Loretta never fails to bring these kids to church faithfully and I really think that without her and her husband Larry, some of these kids wouldn't stand a chance- they come from such sad and broken homes. Your Mom must have had a heart of gold.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

Oh goodie!! Im picked again!!!!!

Your Mother sounds like a wonderful loving lady...how blessed you were to be raised my her!

2:07 PM  
Blogger Jason Doan said...

Hi Dr. John

Thanks for all the traffic today, you seem to have a great group of regulars around here who like to contribute. Makes the blogging much more fun.

2:18 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

So thats where you get your lovely nature from.Your Mum was a wonderful woman and taught you well.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Only 26 people, If I were to leave this world tomarrow I would be hard press to get 26 also. Maybe I should work on that. LOL

Yes granmother was one speacial person and always knew when I was up to something. Amazing simply Amazing.

12:01 AM  
Blogger Cherlee's said...

You were blessed as I am to have a mother who has so much to give. My mother became a foster mother when I was in my 20's. I'm so proud of her. She has helped over 44 children herself. I ask her why she still does it and she tells me she loves to help out the kids!!

9:52 PM  
Blogger anosh said...

شركة كشف تسربات المياة بالرس
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرس
شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالرس
شركة رش مبيدات حشرية بالرس
شركة تنظيف منازل بالرس
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالرس
شركة تنظيف كنب بالرس
شركة تنظيف فلل بالرس
شركة تنظيف شقق بالرس
شركة تنظيف بالرس

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home