Friday, August 18, 2006

On Weather Vanes

Saying for the day: If you sell it or give it away it increases in value.

Betty and I have been deciding what to sell , what to send to the dump, and what to take with us when we move.

I felt pretty good about how things were going until I read about an old copper weather van shaped like a locomotive that went at auction for $1.2 million .

That makes you stop and think.
Is it possible that one of those old things we sent to the dump might have been worth $1.2 million?
Or perhaps one of those things we sold at our rummage sale might have some huge value of which we weren’t aware.

This weather vane had passed through a number of hands before ending up on the auction block.

Then there is this program on PBS where people bring in their junk and some expert tells them what the stuff is worth.
There is always some guy who has something worth four or five thousand that he picked up at a rummage sale for $5.00.

I can see some guy saying about a $9,000 item “I bought that at a pastor’s rummage sale for $1.00.
He said he just wanted to get rid of it because it was too much trouble to haul.”

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– the little town in my backyard where all the men go hunting and the women let them- Deepak the Great sent a telegram to the committee that he had just gotten a big part in a new movie and would not be able to come for the parade. That gives them one day to come up with somebody to lead the Pigeon Day Parade. They could I suppose ask the Mayor.
Yesterday’s Liar’s Club presentation was done by Jon Bergall and here it is:
“ When I bought my farm some years ago there were some problems I knew I could have. We were close to the woods and so bears were and are always a possibility . Cows get sick and wander off. Chickens quit laying eggs. Flying saucers land in your field. You know all the usual stuff. One problem I didn’t count on was ghosts. Ghosts! My farm has ghosts. Not your usual ghosts that drift in and out an moan a lot. No! These are animal ghosts. We have a big cow that from time to time starts in my kitchen and wanders through the house. The first time I saw her I thought it was part of the herd and had wandered in. But then it walked though a table and I knew it was no ordinary cow. It has come so often that my kids look on it as a household pet. They call it bossy and ask me what they should feed it. But Bossy isn’t the only ghost we have. We also have Oscar the clumsy goat. Oscar has the ability to tip things over. This greatly disturbs my wife who really likes a neat house. Oscar tipped over the china cabinet and several old dishes broke. She wants Oscar gone. But I have no idea how to get rid of him. I have read all the books but they all have to do with human ghosts and not animals. I asked my Pastor about an exorcism but , when he stopped laughing, he said he didn’t have the liturgy for animal ghosts. I even secretly saw the local priest but his laugh is worse than pastor’s. These people don’t take me seriously. I don’t know why. So we are trying to learn to live with them. We have everything goat proofed . We now use plastic dishes and glasses so there is nothing to break. We are hoping the goat will get bored and move on. Bossy on the other hand can stay as long as she wants. Now if you don’t think this story is true come out to the farm and you won’t find a glass dish anywhere in the house. Or you could ask my Pastor.”
Jon got seven 10’s and there 9’s for an average of 9.7 which makes him the leader at the moment. He was last year’s winner.
*****

Link for the day: Don't Rock the Boat Baby-(Something funny for a change)_Remember to put Dr. John in the comment to obtain those hardly edible JCPOINTS. Check your total HERE. Somebody complained that they didn't get credit for their Marathon. When I checked I saw that they did and figured out that what they looked at was a previous version stored in their computer. Please if things seem wrong hit the refresh button or check the date which should be the previous day's.
Waiting for Betty to get up to do the drawing at which time Sister Chris or Stacy might win what's in the PRIZE BOX.
Betty is up and she drew ...........




The name is.........



Cherlee's. Sorry Sister Chris and Stacy ( sorry Bree , I tried) If her name is drawn again tomorrow she gets what's in the prize box.Good luck Cherlee.
We spent a quiet day. I did some blogging. Betty did some housework. She went grocery shopping. Pat called and talked for two hours. I did some voting , for musicians, for monkey toilet paper sayings, and for me. Now I need a brteasthing treatment.
GBYA

18 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

I was given an old wooden clock to paint when I first started painting furniture. Real plain. Looked homemade. My friend had picked it up at a yard sale for 50 cents. I finally decided I wasnt going to paint it (old yard sale finds were coming out of the woodwork for me to paint at that time and I had to start eliminating things)

So I gave it back and she put it in her yard sale. Sold it for $1. The guy who bought it was real happy.

Later we were at an antique store and saw a similar clock for $95. It was Stickley or some other arts & crafts movement type.

I guess we know now why he was happy.

4:35 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

morning. as i was reading your post i was thinking of the pbs show too..i have seen it often and always see that same story...worth thousands and bought for nothing really..

i hope that doesn't happen to you. i'm sure it won't..
************
i like Jon story. It was funny. i can't imagine how scary that would be..Scooby Doo gang would know how to help. they are Always dealing with animal ghosts and monsters..

good luck to Depak, i'm sure he will be the next big star.

for leading the parade..how about someone in a maskot of a rabbit and another in a dragon?
*****************
i hope you have a wonderful day. glad that Betty is still sleeping. take care and read you tomorrow.

4:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is why I come from a family that never throws anything away. Packrats, everyone.

4:53 AM  
Blogger kristi said...

I could never be lucky enough to have something that was worth that much, or had bought something at yard sale that was worth that much. I just figure I will off load it and my loss is their gain.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I'm slowly but surely "cleaning house" here and wonder the same thing. I've tried eBaying some items that I thought were worthy but some didn't sell and it cost me just to put it up for auction.

Then I got to thinking, all of this stuff is just stuff. I can't take it with me and when it clutters my home, I merely get frustrated. So either to Goodwill, Freecycle or the dump it all goes. One small area at a time.

Maybe I should "yard sale" but I don't think I have the time.

6:06 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Anyone who pays 1.2 million for a weather vane should not have that much money in the first place.

6:24 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

BTW, before I throw something out I oft times will do an ebay search just to see if anyone is collecting it. But I do have this "evil" Santa figure that I havent been able to get info on, yet I cannot get rid of it. So I need to come up with a good story and put it on ebay.

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow a clumsy goat that is haunted i wonder if they go to stay somewhere else will they follow.win win win win win okay ifi stop for a bit maybe someone will win .................
..............................
..........................
win someone Win!

7:00 AM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

I think when you want to sell something and you go to an appraiser, they usually appraise very low. We don't really know what we are selling is really worth. Maybe it is worth something otherwise they would not buy it.

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jafabrit - get those spoons valued...!

7:25 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Many years ago I bought a pretty little dish for ten cents at a yard sale. I used it to feed my pretty little cat. It sat on the patio year round and he ate from it for at least seven years. One day my sister-in-law stopped, stared at the dish in amazement, picked it up and said, "I wish I could afford to feed my cat on Limoges china. I sold the dish for $95.00 and got kitty some nice melmac.

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One man's trash is another man's treasure. You just never know which one is you.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Thank you Dr. John. I got a surprize in my mailbox today! You are too kind and I loves ya.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

I always think about that too. I have a lot of things of my grandmothers that I am sure are worth something, but I cant part with them. They remind me of her.

I hate to get rid of my " stuff"..its all valuable to me.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

today's blog link is great! I haven't laughed so hard in ages.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

I'm always the one who sells something good. If I buy it you can be sure it was junk to start with.

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always think that if I sell something ... I will just spend the money ... then I won't have the item OR the money!
ANIMAL GHOSTS? That could explain a lot! I'll have to watch for them here.

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Weather Vane bought was bought by an employee of a Large Clothing design firm!

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home