Saturday, August 12, 2006

The side effect

Saying for the Day; Sometimes the cure is worse than the illness.

I don’t know if you’ve noticed but when they advertise prescription medicine on television they now have to list the side effects that that pill might produce.
This is a real problem for the pharmaceutical company that is paying good money to convince you that you should nag your doctor into giving you that pill.

Who really wants to risk blowing a kidney or having their heart stop if they don’t have to.
SO the drug companies have developed techniques to use in this part of the commercial.

First you need a nice person who smiles and uses a very happy voice to describe the side effects.
By the time she or he finishes you are almost glad that the pill comes with such delightful side effects.

Second they use light colors that suggest health and goodness.

Third if there is any music it is upbeat and joyful.

My problem is I have some of the side effects without taking the pill they are pushing.

I am often a little dizzy when I first stand up and I haven’t even taken a dizzy pill.

Occasionally I get an upset stomach which I thought came from two many hot dogs but it is a side effect of a pill I’m not taking.

Sometimes I get constipated I never knew why.
But now I know it’s a side effect of a pill I’m not taking.

I could go on with a long list of things I suffer from that are all side effects of pills I don’t use.

Now the problem I have is this.
If I were taking these pills I could quit.

Then the side effects would end.
But I’m not taking them so I can’t quit.
You can’t not, not take a pill.
Well you could but then you would just add to the side effects.

I give up.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my backyard where the trains still run-The big yellow brick road run is tomorrow and the county has been trying to fill in all the holes so that nobody breaks a leg. Runners began coming in to town today. Some went out and checked over the road. It looks like it will be a great race.
Bonnie Jupola , Eino’s daughter was named Pigeon Queen. She was a Job’s Daughter’s Queen and a very nice young lady. But being Eino’s daughter didn’t hurt her at all.
Some people who heard yesterday’s liar’s contest went to the White Rabbit Cometh Blog and said it scared them. It looks like a lot of what that Russian said years ago is happening in Pigeon Falls. You have to stretch a little but our White Rabbit could be the clothed pure rabbit of the driblet. We have a stone man. A Bishop caused the town council to quit and the driblet says the church will cause the government to fall. If the pigeon is king we had a man killing pigeons. The big wind moved some of our buildings. And finally a dragon has appeared. It scares you.
Of course parts of the driblet just don’t fit and what are we supposed to be ready for?
Nancy said she is not going to run for Mayor when Mayor South’s term ends in November. Mayor South has announced she is not going to run again.Its beginning to look like nobody wants the job.
*****

Today's Link is: I Feel Pithy-Please remember to put Dr. John in the comment to get those multi colored JCPOINTS. Check HERE for your total.
Yesterday we drew smarty101. If we draw her today she wins whats in the PRIZE BOX.
We draw and...
todays name is ....

Cindy. If Cindy is drawn tomorrow she gets what's in the prize box.
****

We spent the day selling rummage. We didn't have many people but we got rid of the big stuff we really didn't want to teake with us when we move. Tomorrow we start on packing up the stuff on the garage shelves. The people who came loved the train layout. It was a good day. I came back to the computer and found out that when I did the spelling check I somehow lost the link for today. If that happens again you can find it by going to the JCPOINTS page . It is always listed there. If the link is yesterday's hit refresh. Well I need a breathing treatment,
GBYA

18 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

good morning sir. i love those commercials too..they make them so happy and care-free and then the risky things, they speak of them so darn fast, how can anyone understand them..lol..

hmm, no, you cannot stop taking the pills. but maybe if you start? lol..
ok, serious, maybe it's the carbon dioxide levels. i remember back a couple of months when i had that wear episode and it ended up being my oxygen/carbon dioxide levels that you and Betty both commented how you still have to wear a mask at night or something like that, i remember getting the impression that it wasn't always perfect since your comma. i hope the docs keep a close eye on it. it can fluctuate so fast, from visit to visit since they are months apart usually.
dizziness sometimes is also a sign of low iron. i know you just got some blood work and i am happy that it all came back good. i'm no doctor as you can see..but i do care inmensly over you. i hope you keep on getting better and better until it's perfect.
************
i'm terrified of all the gloom and doom that some many of the physics talk about. when i ws married, my mother in law, had me preparing for the end of days and all those scary days in Revelation...my life froze and i was a wreck emotionally and physically...now that i'm far away from all the fanatical, i'm able to think of God without shivering and crying...i know Revelations is true but i need to remember He is full of love and will look after us..i have too, or i will go nuts and freeze again. how do i make it for today if i there is no future tomorrow. the thoughts of devils roaming the streets and the Anti-Christ does something to me i cannot deal with. I lost too many years freaking out. I choose now to live and do my best and be good as far as it will take me.

maybe Eino should run for mayor?
******************
glad you had lots of people coming over to look at things. hope the leads for the house become into a purchase. happy news...and now you and Betty can breath for a couple of hours before the next tackle of something...i sure hope it's soon that you both and Pennie are just sitting watching some tv in your new living room...nice and restful and together and happy.

have a glorious day. take care. hugs all around. read you tomorrow.

5:47 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

he, he...i was scared of going to White Rabbit Cometh blog...i thought it was a gloom and doom, the end of the world thing...i should have known better, he,he..oh, i'm glad i looked into it after my long (as usual) rambling of my feelings on the real thing...

oh,i sould know better by now, he, he..

glad i looked..

thanks for the patience with me..

:)

5:58 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I never thought of not not taking a pill to get rid of the things you already have.

I wish a side effect would be 'if you take this, your house might get cleaned or your dinner will be made or the lawn wuill get mowed" You need one where the housse wil lget sold...

6:53 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

St Joseph selling kit -- $6 at Jandrain's in Green Bay. Bury him in the backyard. I am not Catholic, but I do have a doctorate in Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained. :-)

7:17 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

With my luck this week, I'd take a placebo and suffer side effects.

In between the chaotic moments I'm writing a Bunny Song - slowly but surely it's coming along. =O)

7:50 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Dr. John, I had an inner ear infection and was suffering bouts of serious vertigo (the room would suddenly flip sideways and take me with it). Doc gave me a prescription for Antivert. I crawled to the pharmacy and ordered a bottle.

When the prescription was ready the pharmascist very seriously read me the side-eefects -- one of which was severe dizziness. I asked him to repeat that. He did -- very seriously -- then explained that it could cause vertigo.

"Ooookay," I said. "That makes great sense. So, the room's gonna spin the opposite direction and balance out the vertigo I already have?"

The pharmicist was very peeved that I made light of his precautions. He said I needed to heed his warnings very seriously and call the doctor at the first sign of vertigo. Hello? The entire conversation made my head spin.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Not true! Sometimes the music is serene to lull you into a false sense of well being. I always wonder if there are subliminal messages hidden in those commercials. They make me laugh too.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

The link isn't linked? Whazzup?

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi helo thats weird side ofects without takeing the pill? I would give up to if I where you.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

they dont tell you crap when they give you a script and one of my pet peeves is they put the elderly on medication and they never take them off!!!! Some of my elderly take so many useless pills...and of course they pay for them. They think if the Dr says they need it, they need it. And most of the time they do, but not always. My 95 yr old takes 2 or 3 laxitives a night every night...shes not happy unless shes "goin"...lol. I think this is not good for her but hey! she is 95!!! We took her to the Dr about this but she says he dont know what he is talking about...lol. We are tired of fighting her over them and her daughter said just give them to her. It hasnt hurt her so far.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

I cant find the link....:((

8:47 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Daniel Haszard- imagine running into you here- I e-mailed with you quite a while back about the Jehovah's Witnesses and used quite a bit of what you told me on my blog. It was very informative.
Dr. John, thank you for the magnet, it arrived yesterday and is already on my fridge. And I'm already looking forward to the next marathon...

12:09 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

Personally i liked the prescritpion best, the one that had the side affect of explosive diarreah.....that would be something to have on a train to Pigeon Falls.....

one I heard last night said you could get lymphoma..... I really don't think anyone should take that pill......

I gave up the pills that I wasn't taking but I still have the headache, I don't know what to give up next, but there are a lot of medicine prescritpions that I don't take, so I guess I just need to select one to giv up, huh.

Dr. John......your daily link wasn't clickable.......

12:56 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

can't type when my head hurts, and this is day three of a migraine......sorry for typo's

12:57 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

http://www.ifeelpithy.com/

Is this the link, I went there, but it didn't seem right somehow......

12:59 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

I found it...

http://ifeelpithy.com/blog/

1:07 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Sometimes it seems doctors don't have a clue what is wrong. They tell you to take this pill or that and come back if it doesn't work. They give you the pill that they get the best kick back on, side effects or not.

3:46 PM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

I think I'm getting crazy with your statement.

2:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home