Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Trying to beat the odds

Saying for the day: If the odds are against you find a different game.

Well if we don’t draw the right name this morning then tomorrow we will do a two for to cut the odds a bit.
Whoever’s name we draw today will win if either name drawn tomorrow matches.
If there is no match tomorrow then both names carry over and if the name drawn on Friday matches either one that one wins.
I want my granddaughter to know that I am trying to give the box away.

This whole contest thing has taught me something about winning and losing.
Every day I enter 100 tickets on IWON.COM .
At first I thought with that many I had a good chance.
But now I see that with thousands entering 100 tickets the odds for me are pretty poor.
The same thing is true of publisher’s clearing house.
I enter many, many, times and never win.

In the end it all comes down to luck.
You either have it or you don’t.
I don’t.

But I have something better than luck I have a loving God who provides for all my needs ( not my wants) and constantly blesses me.

What could be better than that?

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls-the little town in my backyard where the trains still run– Eino’s Stanley Steamer still isn’t running but Eino said by parade time it will. The Liar’s club noted last night to make Quilldancer an honorary member and make her house branch #2. Well Robert Jupola got to go next in the Pigeon Falls Liar’s Club run off. Here is his entry.
“ I have a friend. Let’s call him Tom though that’s not his real name. He doesn’t want anybody to know who he is. You see Tom has this weird power. He is able to fly. Yes, to fly! Oh! He doesn’t fly like super man . He thinks up and slowly he goes up. Then he thinks a direction and he goes in that direction. One problem is he doesn’t go fast. I guess because he is a slow thinker. He doesn’t know where this power came from. Perhaps he’s a mutant like the one’s in the comic book or the movies. He is very much afraid people will find out and then he will be subjected to scientific experiments .So he is keeping this a secret. This means he only flies on dark nights so he won’t be seen. What would people think if they saw him floating overhead? But this is just too good a power to waste so I talked him into playing a little practical joke on the town. I had this old dragon costume out in the barn. In the daylight it wouldn’t fool anybody but at night. Tom put it on and took his dad’s flame thrower and one night while I was taking my tour group out he flew down main street shooting out fire. It was awesome everybody thought he was a real dragon. On the way back down the street he saw the White Rabbit and pretended to chase it. When he turned the corner he saw something. He knows the white rabbit’s secret but he won’t tell me what it is. What he saw got him so confused he crashed in the woods. I suppose because he stopped thinking fly and has no auto pilot. He almost set the woods on fire.
Now if you don’t believe me the old dragon costume is back in the barn and I can show it to you. Or you can turn the corner at the end of the street and go straight into the woods where you’ll find a little burn spot.”
He got six 10’s and four 9”s for a score of 9.6 which puts him in the lead at this point with three people to go.
*****

The link for today is: The Garden Wife's Plot- Rember to put the words Dr. John in the comment to get unused JCPOINTS. Check HERE for your points.
Yesterday we drew Stacy. If we draw Stacy again today she gets what's in the prize box.
The drawing has to wait for Betty to get up.
Betty is up and the drawing is done....
Todays name drawn is Sue. If Sue is drawn in either of the two draws tomorrow she wins what's in the prize box.
I checked in to Quilldancer's blog this morning and discovered I have been defeated badly. Well I just have no luck. My daughter-in-law who was ahead yesterday was 400 votes behind this morning. Things sure do change fast. Betty took a load of garbage to the dump ( see how thrilling our life is) Then went to Tops. We continued cleaning the garage and packing things up. Today we started on the tools. Then I had the horrible thought what happen's if we never sell the house and everything is packed up. Betty told me not to think like that. I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

16 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

So could it be that the lie that Robert is really his "friend" Tom? Sort of like "Doctor, I have this friend". I'd make Robert show the burned spot.

5:03 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Oops, I didnt edit my comment well. Should be --
"So could it be that the lie IS that Robert is really his "friend" Tom?"

5:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember the old Hee Haw bit with a couple of guys singing in the corn field about "If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all?"

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello sorry no comment yesterday hanks for comment.

6:02 AM  
Blogger starbender said...

unlucky in luv, lucky in ....?
oh well, one day I shall figure it out....

The Lord surely has a sense of humor when it comes 2 my life!

Thanx 4 the link of the day... that lil girl can sing!
Everyone should check it out!
:)

6:30 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

You hit th enail on the head with your post on winning and how we already have everything we need.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

i laugh with you this morning because i am in the same boat. i don't have luck, not this sort anyways, never win. i have many other blessings in my life, my kids, my family, my friends, i'm alive and walking ... God is a good God. i love your line. "He is a loving God who provides for all needs ..."...it's true, very true!
Besides, there is a certain shake your head, oh my luck can of feeling to continue with the no winning streak. got to laugh at that..

you life is filled, like me, with some amazing presents from Our Lord..who saids we are not lucky! :)
**************
I'm glad that things are looking up for the steam train. that is going to be a great hit.
happy about the decision for Quilldancer.
Roberts story was good...but i don't take it as true..i don't know why as it sounds like it could be...it probably was the slow flying dragon thing...rabbits are might fast and being chased, they moved..hmmm, i guess i will have to wait to see.
************************
Lori is an angel, how could any pastor be at odds with her..

poor Bree, i understand she wants the winning part...the suspence is hard. glad she is feeling a bit better. you all are so lucky, she is such a sweetie. she has had an amanzing example..

i hope you and Betty are resting extra. you both have been working so hard.

take care. have a good day. read you tomorrow.

7:00 AM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

There's nothing really better than God's provisions. It's unbeatable.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

"I've learned that whatsoever state I am in, therewith to be content."

It is so comforting to know that God is in control isn't it? Take care Doc John!

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been pretty lucky most of my life, with just a few exceptions that come to mind. I keep wondering if it will run out soon.

Love your saying for the day : )

10:01 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Dr. John, it does not take luck to win my contest. It takes tenacity, sleeplessness and a really strong clicking finger.

10:33 AM  
Blogger GW said...

Hey, I came home this afternoon to find a whole slough of comments from your readers, Dr. John. Thanks for sending them my way! I didn't see your blog listed in any of them, but I looked at my webstats and found your site in the referrers from today. Thanks for the mention. How did you find my Plot?

3:06 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

funny. your current post is sort of like the exact opposite of my current top post.

I don't know though... loving God or $300 gift certificate to the American Laser Center.

I'm gonna have to think about that one.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Bella said...

HEY! I just got back from vacation and checked my JC points and I only have 33. :( I visited 32 blogs. I'm crying now cuz I only got 33 points. I was looking forward to my magnet.

I'm gonna go cry now. :( boo-hoo

Hope your week is going good! :)

4:34 PM  
Blogger kristi said...

I have sucky luck too, Dr. John you are not the only one. One day I was feeling lucky so I bought a lotto scratch off and low and behold I won $15 but that is it. Not anything else.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

We are all just having fun playing these games Dr John.....if we win great and if we dont we still had fun! You have made blogging fun and we all are enjoying it.

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home