Thursday, August 17, 2006

Bicentennial






Saying for the day: Sometimes your not as old as you look.

In 1976 the nation celebrated its bicentennial and , of course, the Linna family of Crystal Falls celebrated as well.

Here are some pictures of what we did for the celebration.

My poor kids were dressed in these old style clothes and got stuck carrying signs in the parade.
I wonder if they remember that.
I’ll have to ask them.


I put on the clerical collar of 200 years earlier and used it in church on Sunday.
My wife made herself an outfit that looked a couple of centuries old.


In the town’s big parade the Church had a float that Betty remembers staying up all night to complete.

I marched along side in the old time garb including a fake mustache.

It was most certainly a fun time.

I also made a special latch hook for the occasion and added a bicentennial train to the HO layout I had then.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– the little town in my back yard with the nicest people this side of the bridge– Well Eino got his Stanley Steamer running so it looks like there will be a steam car in the parade Saturday. People are really looking forward to seeing it. Last Lutheran intends to enter a float . The rumor is that Pastor Marvel is going to wear his Captain Marvel suit and the float will have to do with heroes. I think I’d like to see that.
The bread baking contest took place yesterday and Big Rudy entered a loaf of wild berry bread. He picked the berries himself and made several loafs. He got second place behind Doris Miller. People didn’t even know Big Rudy could cook. He was more likely to be in a bread eating than a bread baking contest. He sure seems to have changed.
Poor Tommy, the undertaker’s son, was plagued all day by people asking questions about the White Rabbit and Tommy’s ability to fly. They thought he was the Tom that Robert referred to in his story yesterday. The first time they asked him about flying he looked really confused. When they asked about the White Rabbit’s secret he looked scared. When he discovered what it was all about he began to take it in stride. The poor kid gets in enough trouble without being mistaken for a person that Robert probably made up.
Robert is still doing tours and driving his taxi. With so many things going on his business has greatly improved. He has even added a little to the Chicago Hermit story. He says that if you stand by the statue you can, at times, hear moaning. Eino says that’s nonsense for the tourists.
Nancy said the price of saffron went up again and she is going to have to raise the price on a saffron bun by ten cents. She hates to do it but she just has too.
Pastor Marvel is planning on using an old English liturgy on Sunday in honor of old time days. People will worship like they did 200 years ago.
The White Rabbit has been making appearances all over town and has been seen by many tourists. Some even have taken pictures of him in his pretty pink sweater . But nobody has caught up with him. There, however, have been no dragon sightings.
Finally some of the men repairing the yellow brick road ran into a 25 foot Boa Constrictor slithering down the road. Tomas Petrovich said that this fills another condition of Driblet 67 of the great Seer and Poet Alexis Grengicoff. You can read them all on his website" The White Rabbit Commeth". Tomas is telling everybody to get ready , but for what?
*****

The link for today-Trouble Ain't Over- remember to put the words Dr. John in your comment to get recycled JCPOINTS. Check your total HERE.
Sue was drawn yesterday . If either of the two names drawn today should match her name she wins what's in the prize box.
Betty got up early and the names drawn are.....



Sister Chris and.............





Stacy....

Sorry Sue ( Sorry Bree. I tried) if either of today's names are drawn tomorrow when we draw only one name that person gets the prize. Sister Chris has one chance in 235,437 of being drawn and Stacy has one chance in 580. Good luck.
I checked in at Quilldancer's blog this morning and I see where Lori is still on top. I on the other hand languish near the bottom. I read that the top two are being pushed by pastor's wives. I hope one is not mine because she is supposed to be puching in votes for me.
I also spent a little time voting for Javanagogh's son's musical group. You can help out by going to her blog and there is a link there to the voting.Her blog is A Planet Named Janet. the group is called The Dorothy Hearlds . When you go to the site to vote look for a pulsing blue arrow and click on it.
I spent part of the morning working on the computer . In the afternoon it was back to the basement and packing up the last of the o27 train stuff. I looked at the piles of boxes ready to take with us and thought why? We haven't missed any of that stuff. If we don't get this house sold we'll be looking at those boxes forever. Well I need ab reathing treatment.
GBYA

16 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

good morning. what a delight to wake up to those beuatiful pictures of your family. Betty is gorgeous, i think that is the first pic i have seen of her in the earlier yrs. and the kids, how wonderful they look. and you, well, handsome as ever. my goodness, what a happy family! i love your family's stories and pictures..thank you so much for sharing them with all of us.
*****
the steamer for sure will be a hit.

the float will be nice i bet. i wonder if we get to see a pic? and the pastor will do well with anything he preaches.

Rudy is for sure changed...how much more can that remote control do. i hope his wife has back up batteries galore, he, he..

Tommy must have been relieved he wasn't at the center of this one story.

Nancy is only raising 10 cents, that is not a bad increase i think. people will still buy, she makes the best..

that is a massive snake they ran into. i would have died...my daughter would have love it...she studies them..
*****************
i'm so happy you liked the post. i got the words from a inspirational letter i received and went looking for what i thought was the best pics to go with it...

no winners still eh? hmm, do you take bribes like the way it's over at the liar's contest, he, he..

hope you have yourselves a great day. take care and read you tomorrow.

4:29 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

I think I used that same pattern for my granny dress to wear at our church's annual ice cream social one year (St. Olaf's, BTW) --- way, way back. Mine was red.

So is your wife still speaking to you after posting her picture? :-)

4:30 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I remember 1976 well and I was but 8 or 9 years old. I still look at the quarters (when I find one) with a smile for they bring back a great memory. We also had a float and dressed up colonial. It was wonderful.

-Margie

5:39 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Love the photos....Pete says he remembers the clothes and celebration....makes me want to move to a small town....maybe we should trade houses.

6:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

two people? we have thoose clothes know with two peple one should win.I would have loved that dress.hey I have it.

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You looked good in a moustache. ;) I was 12 in 1976, but I don't remember too much about the celebrations. There were some other big things going on with our family that I guess eclipsed it in my memories.

6:49 AM  
Blogger ArtsyTartsyViray said...

Haha! The pictures are GREAT!!

7:43 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

I loved the old parade pictures -- especially the huge handlebar mustache. That must have been a fun day.

Poor Tommy, I can just imagine his confusion and fear.

Speaking of confusion and fear. My family is quite upset with me. It seems I sent some stranger my real world address so he could mail me a refrigerator magnet. They think I was behaving irresponsibly and they are trying to ground me -- luckily I'm the only one with keys to my house -- and my sisters live about 1300 miles away.

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a REAL moustache like that in the seventies.

So there! :)

10:44 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Thanks Dr. John for the recommendation. I will let my son know.

11:27 AM  
Blogger DarthImmortal said...

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing them. I also remember the Bicentennial train. Do you remember that? It contained historical information and recreations of events and speeches. It was cool!! My mom took my brother and me to see it when we were young lads.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Maybe it would not be a good idea to ask your kids if they remember being in that parade, lol...if they are anything like mine they would not appreciate the reminder.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Thanks for the pics of your family. Looks like you guys did a lot of fun things as a family. Hee hee.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

I love the pictures!!! And I bet your kids do remember it well!!!!

6:00 PM  
Blogger Matt Nelson said...

Just wanted to say thanks for posting about my band, The Dorothy Heralds!

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info
» »

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home