Thursday, April 27, 2006

Some things about kids!




Saying for the Day: Good parents sometimes raise good kids.

A lot of parents out there seem to be having trouble raising kids. So I have decided to share some things I learned while mine were growing up and after.

1. Even good, honest, well behaved kids lie. I didn’t know that when they were growing up. In general I believed everything they told me. ( I was gullible) But now they keep telling me things from back then that they lied about. Like that goldfish that they said jumped out of the aquarium ( which seemed reasonable to me) was really dropped on the floor by one of my sons. And the bb we had to have removed from one son wasn’t an accident they were shooting at each other.( They thought they had enough clothes to protect from the bb going through) They only told me this because I complained about some family that was shooting bb’s at each other and they read it on the blog. Its strange how honest they get now.

2. Some of what they don’t tell you, you really don’t want to know.Kids don’t want to upset their parents so they keep really upsetting things from you. Like Patrick just now told me that if he hadn’t caught Peter when he fell out of the tree I told him not to climb he would have broken something else. I didn’t really need to know that then. Come to think of it I don’t really need to know that now.

3. Kids are very good at placing the blame on somebody else. When the nice police man brought one of my sons home because he was on top of the dime store roof it was of course the fault of the friend he was up there with.( At least he didn’t end up in jail). I had a friend who asked his 2 1/2 year old if he had wet his pants. The kid answered “No , Janet (the sister) did it.”

4. Kids soon learn your weakest points and take advantage of them. My wife and I were sound sleepers so my two wonderful boys waited until we went to sleep and then snuck out the window of their bedroom and went who knows where. We would never have known this if we hadn’t gone away for a weekend and left my mother in charge. She was not a sound sleeper and caught them going out the window. That’s why when they went away to college I arranged for them to stay at Grandma’s house. They thought it was to save money.

5. Despite all of that if you love them and set a good example they will grow up to be good people ( a little luck and some intervention by God doesn’t hurt either). Then they will have to figure out how to raise their kids.

@@@
9100 spins without a prize. Well Old Hapless entered the home game on "Deal or No Deal" again.
He even got the number right but of course he didn't win. He is simply not lucky. Perhaps he needs a good luck charm. You know something to hold onto like Dumbo's feather. He wonders what good luck charms sell for these days.
Well Uncle Wiggly lovers if Old Hapless doesn't get a good luck charm and win a million thus causing him to take an extended vacation to Finland. We will beback tomorrow with another chapter of " As the World Spins"
***

Well I got two of the trestles out to the layout. They aren't in place yet but they are out. Betty went to the bank to get money for the Green Bay trip. If you read my son's comments on today's entry you will see that though my points may be right my memory is not perfect. In the afternoon we put out the trestles only to discover we need at least three more . Our engineer guessed wrong on the height of the track coming through the mountain. If he didn't work so cheap we'd fire him. Then Betty and I put together eight solar lights and put them out on the layout to see if they work. Netty has begun to pack the car for tomorrow so that we can leave as early as possible. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

10 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

Oh what a wonderful post...

re: 1. it's true but i didn't know that, i figured that if they ever lied that was it, they were doomed...(talk about exaggerating) but thank goodness it is not the case. 2. i have been there already, some of their stories make my hair stand up...they take way too many chances when they are with their dad...but i know that is good too. They need to test their limits but i'm way to chicken to witness...yikes.. 3. love the story of Janet weting brother's pants, hillarious...My son has a t-shirt that saids 'Don't leave yet, I may need someone to blame'...i bought it immediately upon seeing it,,,i wish they would have had it in 5 different colors and sizes...1 for each!! 4. and i always asumed it was just grown ups who did this but no it's just human nature to push buttons...5. you turned out wonderful kids, may we all be that lucky...

Thank you, this was a fun post. It reminded me of something i knew all along, i had little idea how and what about kids/parents back when i started...

Hope you are well. Read you tomorrow

6:22 AM  
Blogger kristi said...

Dr. John you have hit the nail on the head. Kids learn to play their parents like a finely tuned instrument, at a very young age. When my oldest son gets into trouble or come complaining to me about something his brother did to him. I always say, Well I know that your brother did not hit you for no reason at all so what lead to it? Then I also have to think in a kids frame of mind, after all we were all children at some point in time. I used to get so mad at my mom I really thought the woman had eyes in the back of her head. Now I know her tricks. All in all, a child has to be extrememly bad to really be a horrible kid. They are all meant to get into trouble and break things, and tell lies. That is a rite of passage during childhood.

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's spot on, Doc. All true.

If you give them reasonable boundaries, they tend to work the rest out for themselves.

8:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very good points! How well I remember when my kids were younger. Funny, now they frequently said "you were right , mom" I always hated the parent who said "My child would never do that" Sure. At least you seem to have the right idea!

8:57 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

Not knowing all the things they do is a blessing! I wish kids came with a set of instructions.... I wouldnt want to be raising them in this world today though...its an entirely different world now than it used to be...and not always kid friendly.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well to be honest I did not lie about much I did how ever leave things I did out. If asked I would say I realy thought you had someone spying on me and you knew everything I did. So if confronted I normaaly would tell the truth I can not tell very good lies. Too much guilt.

Now to clear some things up.

1. The bb did not go into one of us. The bb broke my glasses wich in retrospect was a very good thing I had bad eyes the lens saved my eye. But they where not cheap .

2. ok nothen to clear up on 2 its true .

3. Ok I never said it was his fault. I said I was following him and never thought it was against the law. I never said I was smart. Oh buy the way that friend was also the guy who got me too drunk on the night before I got married.

4. Too be honest peter never did go out the window. When granmother caught us was when we waited for her to go to sleep then we just went out the front door. She got up to get milk or a drink as we where comeing back int. If I remember correctly peter only did it that one night. lol Oh and living at grandmothers house in collage was cool she always had a warm meal and food waiting for you. Course you had to watch them darn golden girls all the time.

5. Alot of intervention from god. LOL But at least we are all off drugs have good jobs and a functional part of the world. To do that with three of them is a job well done. I hope I can do the same.

And yes mostly growing up with him was fun. We got to see and do more things then the average kid. We went to almost all the states camping. One bit of warning dont let him go into a house while you are waiting in the car if he say I will just have one cup of coffie. Two and a Half hours later he might stop talking to who ever he is visting with. LOL

Love the post brought back alot of memories.

I wish you some kind of good sentiment, but I don’t have the time or inclination to get into it

Patrick

9:08 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I think about the time Bill Cosby talks about taking his boy out to the shed after he gets caught lying promising him he wouldn't use the belt on him and then when then get to the shed he whips him. The boy reminds him he said he wasn't going to whip him and Bill says, "I lied!"

2:06 PM  
Blogger Chris Beason said...

No sneeking out for my girls! The windows are too high for one and two, everytime the door makes the least bit of noise, the two dogs go berzerk. Hearing your dogs barking is like hearing your babies cry!

Very good post. I identified with every single one of those things!

It's a good thing he was wearing glasses. I got shot in the eye with a BB and I still have it in my eye to prove it. No, I wasn't shooting at anyone else. I was the victim of a makebelieve robbery gone wrong ;)

5:54 PM  
Blogger Penelda said...

What can I say but I think Patrick was wrong Grandma caugt them sneeking in from the basement because she woke me up to wait for them. She was a smart women or a light sleperv who didn't want to be alone.

I spend the day listening to children lie. They ned God and parents with unconditional love

Pennie

9:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my look how skinny we where back then.

LOL

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home