Saturday, April 22, 2006

God bless Rosey!!!


Saying for the Day: Sometimes an old poster is the best medicine one can find.

Recently Mimi at Mind of Mimi showed some World War I and World War II posters that reminded me of this poster from World War II. It is of Rosey the Riveter. It encouraged women to get out and do “men’s jobs” for the war effort.
This poster is very important to me not just because I grew up at a time when it was posted but because it was one of four things that helped to get me out of the hospital and back home when I came out of the comma.

Those four things were:
1. The presence of God ( who never left me)]
2. My wife ( she was there every day)
3. My family ( my sister visited every day and pushed)
4. This poster.

Soon after I came out of the comma ( which of course I didn’t know I was in) my sister brought a 1 1/2 by 2 foot tinplate of this poster. She put it on a shelf in front of the bed.

Every day when I thought learning to walk again was impossible there was Rosey saying “ We Can Do It”.

When the pain of those first steps in that horrible machine were more than I thought I could bear there was Rosey.

When I had to take the risk of walking with a walker with a wheel chair behind to catch me ( fat chance if I fell) there was Rosey.

I was caught up in my own little war and the poster from another war was on my side. I wanted to win that war.

I thought of it as I rolled the wheel chair around the hospital hallway to build arm strength.

When the head of therapy marveled at the progress I was making (he said he had never seen a patient like me). I almost told him that everyone should have God and Rosey. ( But he would have thought I was nuts)

Now Rosey sits in my study next to my desk. She still serves to keep me trying.

God bless Rosey.

@@@
8850 Spins without a prize. At least 1200 times Old Hapless has seen the same eight things offered for sale for a dollar. Every day when he enters his Group Lotto tickets and his Prize America tickets there they are. They never change. The same stupid eight things. They don't even change the order they are in. Day after day the same. After every ticket the same eight things. He hasn't bought one. He isn't going to buy one. He will never buy one. He is sick of them but some genus out there thinks if they show them enough he'll give in but he won't.
Well Uncle Wiggly lovers unless old Hapless completely flips out and buys all eight things causing his wife to have him committed. We will be back tomorrow with another chapter of "As the World Spins"
****

Well we made reservations for a motel in Green Bay next weekend so we can go to the train show ( really an excuse to see my grandkids) Today I cut and painted the sidewalks for the new Pigeon Falls city street. Betty finished a hotel for the HO layout. Now we are going to church. Church was great. The lessons were my favorite lessons. The sermon was more like a conversation and was right to the point. Life is good and I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a coincidence. I've been seeing that poster around the blogosphere lately (with people's own captions).

Nice one! Good inspiration.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Jolie said...

I'll never see that picture again and not think of your story. Very inspiring. Thanks for visiting my blog and sorry it happened to be on a post where I was being crochety!

I felt guilty after I read your comment because I remember my grandmother lamenting about how lonely she was because she rarely got visits anymore (except for family). Thanks for the reality check! :)

7:53 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

How nice that the picture inspired you to do such a great job!!! Dr John..you inspire me lots of times! God bless!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Here I thought Rosey was napkin girl!

7:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My thanks to Rosie for helping to keep you here with us. Oh, and God, thank you, too!

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were in "a comma"? Wow. I was in an exclamation point!

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.

3:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home