Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The Cavalry Arrives



Saying for the Day: Marry in haste. Repent at leisure. ( old saying)

Well back to the box. (Had a hard time finding the box I think Betty hid it. Or I just forgot where I put it).
Today we find a picture, an old picture.
Everyone was pushing Kathryn and I to wait. We had just about decided to postpone the wedding (even though we were hopelessly in love). That’s when the cavalry arrived with all guns blazing. It was just like in the old movies where the hero gets rescued at the last moment.
The cavalry took the form of my Aunt Doris ( up until that time not my favorite aunt) . She said if your in love don’t wait, life is too short. She even offered to host the rehearsal dinner (and did).
We didn’t wait. We were in love.
That brings us to the picture in the box. Please note my grandmother is smiling. She , the matriarch, gave us her blessing. That added to the joy of the moment. A bit more love added to the love Kathryn and I had.
The wedding itself I hardly remember.
What I do remember.
One of my best friends , Pastor Lanse Roberts, got married on the same day in a different town. Most of my friends went to that wedding. I have never forgiven him.
I married Kathryn but she didn’t marry me. The pastor, an old friend, was nervous and asked her to repeat after him “ I take you John LIMMER as my lawfully wedded husband.”
She did. So she married that LIMMER guy..( But the license was right)
My father was upset because I had no alcohol at the reception. What would his friends think.
My cousin who filmed the wedding didn't know in those old 8mm cameras you had to turn the film over and run it through again so we only got half of the wedding.(He thought he was out of film)
We didn’t care we were in love. Really, really in love. And now we were married. Life was perfect or almost perfect.
Betty says to put the picture away and stop living in the past.
But I won’t because once I was really in love.

@@@
8650 spins without a prize. Old hapless bet on the second case in last night's Deal or No Deal’s home game. It was the right case but of course because he is never lucky he didn't win. If he was in contest where he had 99 tickets out of 100 the person with the other ticket would get drawn. That's just the way it is. But he keeps trying.
Well Uncle Wiggly lovers of Old Hapless doesn't just give up on trying to win and then become so sad he quits blogging. we will be back tomorrow with " As the World Spins"
****

Well we got married but there are some unanswered questions. What about the honeymoon? Will it last? Where does Betty come in? and of course " Whatever happened to napkin girl? If I find the right artifact no more than one of these questions will be answered next Tuesday. I finished another trestle today. That leaves only two more to go and we can put them on the layout. The blog Upper Peninsula MI and Beyond has new pictures of Crystal falls including some great pictures of United Lutheran church where I used to be Pastor. The van parked all alone by the downstairs entrance is my son's and we went to church in it. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHAT A GREAT ENTRY!
I really enjoyed reading it.


Here's a hint to use for spell-checking your comments: Go to your e-mail & write on your e-mail (most can check your spelling ... SPELL-CHECK THAT ... copy & past that text. (You might have to use the ctrl c/ctrl v method).

6:30 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

You did marry her! wow, no wonder your wife wants the past in the past or is Betty her second name? or her sister? I can't believe we wait another tuesday. Oh worst than spanish soap operas i used to watch with my great-grandma. I think it was hillarious (sorry-not for you, i'm sure) that she married him, 'Limmer'.

Re:the no alcohol thing, exact thing happened to me. My father was so upset and embarrased that i didn't have alcohol at the wedding.

I hope you are feeling well. Have a good day and read you tomorrow.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Hee-hee....you are so funny!Seems like weddings never run smoothly in good marriages. That way you have something to tell the grandchildren (or to blog).

Poor Betty, will you ever listen?

8:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's OK.

I am a patient man, Herr Doktor!

9:49 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

I enjoyed reading that so much!!!! But we gotta wait until next Tuesday?????? Did you really ever forgive your friend for getting married on the same day? God bless you Doc...I love your stories!!!!!

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, time's up!

11:38 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

I was just thinking of something...when my X husband and I were going to get married he was on leave from the Army..he came home from Viet Nam and in 30 days he was going back to VN...so we had a lot to do in 30 days..I was crying to my Grandmother about it and she said.." If you want to run away I will give you the money you need to go "..lol...you know ~ she was always on my side God love her. I was so blessed to have her in my life. She thought I was perfect!

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"But I won’t because once I was really in love."
This is wonderful. Even to be really in love ONCE is more than some get in a lifetime. Wonderful.
Peace..............

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great Photograph. Sounds like this was just meant to happen.
I had an unfortunate 'picture' experience on my wedding day, too. It seems that the photography studio sent an amateur who ... I kid you NOT ... neglected to take the lens cap off the camera. You see us walking in the church, and walking out. No wedding pics. Oh, well ... I'm not very photogenic, anyway. And I'm still just as married. Tina p.s. Looking forward to hearing "the rest of the story."

1:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home