Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Just until Christmas

Saying for the Day: Its better to wait and be sure because till death do us part can be a long time. Unless of course your really in love.

Today's artifact is an 8 millimeter movie.
I had proposed and she had accepted. This is where reality should have set in. You know where love runs into the real world.
Instead we bought rings. We got a marriage license. That’s the movie, Kathryn and I in the Marquette County Courthouse getting a marriage licensee.( Same courthouse where Anatomy of a Murder was filmed).
I called the seminary and arranged for a married student apartment.
We were in love.
I should have evaluated her as Lutheran Pastor’s wife material.
She was Methodist. It is not good for a Lutheran pastor’s wife to be a Methodist.
She couldn’t cook.
She couldn’t play the organ.
She was shy beyond belief. (No ELCW leader here)
She couldn’t sing.
Obviously by any rational standard she was not the wife for me.
I didn’t care. We were in love.
My mother thought we were moving to fast.
My sister’s boyfriend thought I was nuts.
Her mother and father thought she had totally flipped.
We didn’t care we were in love.
Her parents talked us into seeing the local Lutheran pastor. He didn’t know what to tell us. Lutheran pastors, faced with complex family problems, seldom know what to tell you. Jesus loves you just doesn’t fit.
Besides this was the pastor who several years later ran off with the choir director leaving wife and children behind. Not the best counselor around.
We didn’t care we were in love.
But the real world was pushing and pushing hard.
She had a contract to teach for a year that she had to get out of.
The parents wern't happy about the speed.
Because of all the pressure we thought of postponing until Christmas.
We would need another licensee . I would have to call the seminary and change the housing arrangements.
But true love could wait. Couldn’t it? Well couldn't it?
The wife I have now says I should put the movie back in the movie box and put the stupid box away.
But I won’t because it reminds me of when I was really and truly in love.

@@@
8300 spins without a win.Old Hapless feels pretty good today. "Deal or No Deal" was back last night. Old Hapless got to pick and enter another losing case. The Universe was in order. Life was good.
Well Uncle Wiggly Lovers if Old Hapless doesn't pick the seven luc ky numbers at IWON.com thus causing the world as we know it to come to a crashing end. We will be back tomorrow with another chapter in "As the World Spins".
***

Will John and Kathryn ever marry. Will they wait until Christmas? Will the cavalry swoop in and save them? All these questions might be answered when we go back to the box next Tuesday. I got out of the Fortress today and didn't fall down. We went to Home Depot, Wal Mart, and the Dollar store. We spent too much( see what being cooped up for three weeks will do to you). Bought a lot of what we need to work on the outside layout. Betty had trouble getting the walker into the car as I'm not steady enough yet to do it. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

6 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

What? you are making us wait-again? You don't understand, this cliff hanger business is a killer....I guess i have no choice but you are mischievous to make us wait :) ....have i ever told you that you write beautifully. Your sermons must have been something...Thank you. Hope you are well and read you tomorrow.

5:04 AM  
Blogger kristi said...

Ugh, another cliffhanger, although I really look foward to Tuedays now!!!! Cant wait until next week.

6:55 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

lol...Dr John! You make me laugh! I bet your wife ( Betty) has had a very interesting life with you....( smile)...something tells me you have never been boring. I enjoy you so much! You really know how to tell a story.... God bless you.

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see Betty sabotageing this blog soon, Doc, what with all these lurid tales of your wild, misbehaving past!

Best hide the password and batten down the hatches.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Penelda said...

Dr.John cliffhangers are for Friday. I could be a typical fan and say check out my blog for the spoiler but I won't

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another great entry. I really do enjoy reading your posts, Doc. Glad I found my way over here.

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home