Thursday, April 13, 2006

Me and Alzheimer's

Saying for the day: People who are over weight at mid life have a higher risk of developing Alzheimer's than those who aren’t.

If I suddenly stop blogging its because I won’t be able to remember where the computer is.
I was very definitely over weight at mid life and early life too.
Now a group of scientists have proven that this makes it much more likely that I will develop Alzheimer’s . What a horrible thing to tell me.

I can’t go back and get un-fat in midlife. I can’t back diet. I am doomed.

I should have listened to Betty and gone on a diet when it counted.

I should have eaten less cake.
I should have eaten less ice cream.
I should have eaten less candy.
I should have eaten less.

The only good news comes from those same scientists.

Because I was fat at midlife I have a much higher chance of dying of heart disease or stroke. You see I may not get Alzheimer’s because I will die first.

It is a race and no matter which wins I lose.

Ah!!! I have decided that until one or the other catches me I’m just going to live.

Now if I could only remember what I was going to do next.

@@@
8400 spins without a prize. Another losing morning for Old Hapless. He doesn't feel bad though because he saw a real winner last night on "Deal or no Deal". The guy not only checked his greed in time to go home with $300,000 but he proposed to the love of his life on national television. She said yes. He won twice. Hapless thinks the love was more important than the money.
Well Uncle Wiggly lovers if Old Hapless doesn't get so carried away that he decides to post more of his romances before tuesday and thus destroy forever the intended nature of this blog. We will be back tomorrow with another adventure of " As the World Spins"
****

Because of yesterday's post I am more aware of dreams. Last night I dreamed Betty and I were at a concert (not likely since I tend to hate most music) and I left my seat. Some guy with a funny hat came and took it and Betty let him. That's all I remember. But I was ticked. Another day , another link. I love the pictures of W. J. St. Christopher and todays mad cows.
Betty's late birthday gifts came. The one's from Walthers ( house kits for the HO layout) she expected because she picked them out. The other was a complete suprise. I got her a new 19" LCD monitor. She doesn't see as well as she used to and the old monitor was too big to be moved forward given the nature of her desk.This one is flat and two inches bigger and she loves it. See! Sometimes I do something right. I also put the arch together that will go over the sidewalk and carry the flower vines. Betty and I went to the Maunday Thursday Communion service. One could feel the very Presence of God. It was good to be in the house of the Lord. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

7 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

It sounds horrible but it really is 'what gets us first'. There is so much and so many ways. I like your attitude to live until there is no more. Sounds happy and good.

I saw Deal or No Deal too. He's proposal was so sweet and i too was so happy he won so much. What a lovely family they seem. I loved when the banker put on the clown nose. He's human after all! ;)

I'm sorry you had a not so pleasant dream but i got to say that i thought it was cute that you got jealous. I haven't had any nightmares since writting about it...I love how this healing/writting thing works.

I hope you are okay and read you tomorrow.

4:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good morning, Doc!

So you dislike music and birch trees, but you do like cake. There is hope for you, yet!

In my younger years, I was a strong, slender, athletic, vital person. Then I developed chronic, generally uncontrolled respiratory disease. The steroidal therapy I've been on for most of the last two decades has left me overweight, with uncontrolled blood pressure, and dealing with other potentially life-threatening side effects.

All those early years depriving myself of cake and ice cream got me nothing. I say, bring on the cake and ice cream! Bring it, even when I can't remember what it's called!

I didn't have cake last night, but I thoroughly enjoyed "Deal or No Deal!" It was a real "feel good" episode!

Never, ever, leave your seat during a concert, Dr. John, and thank you, kindly, for the mention of my mad cows!

6:57 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

We all watched 'Deal or No Deal' and it was a great moment. "Greed is not good." are good words to live by and your grand duaghter loved the proposal

Now, who are you again?

8:03 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

You know Dr John, in my work I take care of so may people in their 90's and I wonder what they did differently? I have seen people in their late 80s who smoked all their lives...a man in his mid 90s who used salt like there was no tomorrow and he never had a sign of high blood pressure. I think we should just live our lives and enjoy them...what will be will be.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just shoot me now, so that...ooh look, shiny thing!

11:15 AM  
Blogger plinna said...

Well I am doomed. I heard that if you do exercize your brain every day it help prevent alzheimers. So I hope that working on computers every day will help me if the radation and electricty doesn't get me.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Chris Beason said...

I have an opinion for what your dream may have meant. Sometimes people we love enjoy things we don't, i.e. music. Instead of enjoying being with the one you love, you were trying to enjoy the music and didn't so you got up and left. However, when another man in a funny hat sat down, not only was he enjoying the music, but the company of the one you love, as well. The next time you're thinking about ditching the company of the one you love because you can't enjoy where you are...remember to just enjoy being with the one you're with!

We worry so much about dieing and something killing us that we forget to live...I think I'll have cake for breakfast.

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home