Thursday, April 20, 2006

Forget my High School Years

Saying for the Day: High School reunions are a chance to relive the wonder of our youth but who wants to suffer like that again?

In one of her recent blogs Catch at ‘A penny for your thoughts” did some remembering of her school days. Her memories were mostly positive.

This caused me to think about my high school days. I don’t do that often because it gives me a headache . My high school days were not fun.

First of all I was fat. Fat kids don’t have fun. They give other people a chance to have fun at their expense.

Second I couldn’t dance . This cut my social opportunities way down."Would you like to sit this dance out with me" just didn't cut it.

Third my father made me take shop. I am lucky I still have all my fingers. I produced the worst things anybody ever made in wood shop, metal shop and any other shop. My drafting teacher used to close his eyes and put a C on the paper. (He felt sorry for me)

Fourth I was shy. I hated having to speak in class. I was such a bad speaker that my freshman English teacher said I should stay away from any occupation that required speaking.

Fifth at my senior banquet I had the worst humiliation of my entire life. When I came in people kept asking what color my dress was. I didn’t understand until somebody gave me a copy of the yearbook. Listed under my activities in high school was “Hoop girl junior year”( Hoop girls were juniors who wore fancy dresses and held up hoops of flowers for the Seniors to pass under at graduation.).
When the sheet was passed up to the front of the room somebody added a check at that point and nobody caught it. So I am the only boy to graduate from Ishpeming High School who served as a hoop girl.

You can understand why I haven’t gone back for a single reunion.

@@@
8750 spins without a prize. Iwon.com has the tightest slot machine in the world. Old Hapless never imagined that he could go 8750 spins without a win. He never really expected to win the million but he did think after all those spins he would at least win the $5.00. How many spins will it take? Perhaps CBS , the owner of Iwon, never intends to give away the little prizes. Well Old Hapless will keep spinning.
Well Uncle Wiggly lovers if Old Hapless doesn't win the $5.00 and thus keeps chasing the carrot. We will be back tomorrow with another adventure of "As the World Spins"
****

Betty went to church this morning. I finished the trestle I started yesterday and Betty varnished it when she came home. My sister called and she has her wood in for the winter. That's one way to beat the high cost of oil. In the afternoon I finished another trestle( I have now used up 1000 nails). Betty worked on HO buildings. Peter called and we may go to Green Bay for a train show at the end of the month. I feel really good because one of our blog friends announced that she had taken Jesus as her Savior. I know the joy that brings and I rejoice with her. Betty is going to ELCW and I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

7 Comments:

Blogger EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima said...

I try my best not to live in the past.

My high school days were exciting.

My girlfriends in high school made them unforgettable. And I still have a scar a boy gave me for snatching his girlfriend.

But let bygones be bygones.

Tomorrow is a new day. And the future is greater.

God bless.

5:45 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

oh i'm sorry to laugh at your expense but this was a very funny post...nice writting-as usual...I have never had any interest in going back and reuniting with my old 'class'...i'm a totally different person now and my memories although good ones are better left in the past...Hope you are well and read you tomorrow.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

High school? What was that again? Must have been painful for me as well since I do not remember anything about it and have not gone to a reunion.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

hmmm...i guess I am the only one who looks back to my high school years fondly. Well I was not fat in high school but I am getting there now Dr John so I guess we all get it sooner or later...lol. I am sorry you did not have happy memories, but you have had a good life, a wonderful wife, and a good family...you have wayyyyyy more than most!:))

8:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Doc, you write so eloquently, I'm surprised to hear that you were shy and averse to public speaking!

Ugh, high school was a nightmare. I wasn't fat, as that was during my healthy, immortal years, but I was considered "odd" and "brainy" (so were my few friends) and went on exactly one date.

Luckily, I only attended school half-days during my junior and senior years, as I had to go to work.

At school, I never joined anything, never went to anything, and don't feel like I missed anything. I was, however, lying about my age and singing with a band at night, which gave me a certain "cool" cachet.

Reunion? Fat chance.
puncy

8:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yikes! "puncy" was my word verification!

Oh, my!

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shy? Hated to speak in class. I cant see it. I would say you picked up alot of what was taught in the shop class cuz the trains sets the Desk and all the furnichure you made through the years where not that bad. Funny how some of the things we hated most in are yunger years we use so much in are older ones. Oh and the speaking in front of people seam to work its self out too huh. You are one of the most talented smartest men I know in my life and I know alot of smart people. Would appear that the high school idiots did not stop you.

I can be sappy cuz I cant remember my blogger password so I am writing Anonymous. lol

Signed
The Mystery Dude.

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home