Sunday, April 23, 2006

Never Get Lost Again

Saying for the day: With this device you can tell where you are within six feet.

We live in a wonderful , marvelous age.

When I was younger and we used to go on long trips we got lost a lot. That was because my wife couldn’t read a map if her life depended on it.(Before my children point it out I couldn't either. But I was driving.)

Our favorite cartoon of that period of our life was one that showed a woman with a map saying to the driver “According to the map we are in the middle of the lake”. It was kind of a standing joke. We would get lost and I would ask (sarcastically) “Where are we.?” and my wife would reply “We are in the middle of the lake”. And we would laugh. (What else could you do and stay married?)

Now, thanks to modern science, we have global positioning satellites .
They not only can tell you how to get to where your going but they can tell you just where you are. Now if you can afford one of those little boxes for the car you are safe.

That is unless you live in England. It seems that some people in England believe those little boxes to be infallible. Iin the Wiltshire village of Luckington there is a place where the river has flooded the road. Motorists, however, are following the directions of their little satellite box and drive right into the river. Then for around $40 a nice local farmer will tow them out.

I can hear the driver now “But dear according to the satellite there is a road here and we are on it.”

At least, though we got lost, we never drove into a lake or a river.

I guess I can live without the magic box.

Besides she drives now and I read her the directions from Map Quest.( If I remember to take them)

@@@
8900 spins without a prize. Today Old Hapless thought he really had won something. He was told he had won a bag of jelly beans. All he had to do was type in his e-mail address to begin (he should have caught that to begin). Now they couldn't expect him to jump through hoops for a little bag of jelly beans could they? But when he got to the next steps they decided to give him $125 worth of groceries as well. Now they could drag out the two from page one, three from page two, and four from page three hoops. So with sadness he hit the corner x.
Well Uncle Wiggly lovers if Old Hapless doesn't decide he needs those jelly beans so badly that he starts hoop jumpimg and forgets to blog. We will be back tomorrow with another chapter in " As the World Spins".
****

Had another Easter Egg for breakfast. There are only six left. If my daughter comes home next year at Easter and suggests coloring eggs she has to agree to take them home with her. ( I suppose I could throw them at the rabbit that has joined the deer in eating my flowers). WE got the main street of Pigeon Falls (first four feet) ready for the cement today. The sidewalks are glued in place and the entire unit is varnished. Betty built a doctor's office, from a kit, for the outside layout . Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never use them.

They send you down dead ends and cause all kinds of problems, because ultimately, they are only as good as the base map in them, and it's not usually up to (UK)Ordinance Survey standards.

Me and my wife have an arrangement now which works well. She drives and I navigate.

That's how we've stayed married.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

I think getting lost used to be part of the fun!!! My friend has one of those boxes on his car..I wouldnt have a clue how to work it...

10:06 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

You are right. Life is good. Thanks for coming by my blog and posting. I like yours. Very thoughtful.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have a horrible sense of direction and would LOVE to have one of those magic boxes!

Now, if I could only afford a car . . .

3:43 PM  
Blogger kristi said...

My grandfather has one of the GPS devices and he can barely operate it to get to where he is going.
I also heard a story once about a road in North Carolina, apparently MapQuest kept sending people down it and it did not go anywhere. So despite the fact that we live in such a technological age, a good old map will always do the trick!!!

5:43 PM  
Blogger Chris Beason said...

All I need is an atlas and the driver's seat and I can get us just about anywhere. I've never gotten lost, although I have taken the extended scenic route a couple of times ;)

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think my husband would have one of these things. He doesn't want to take direction from anyone or anyTHING. He's a lovable, but stubborn old mule. Tina

9:06 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Pete and I thought about getting one for your daughter...she and you wife took me around Madison for two hours looking for a place to eat and Betty did say, "According to this map, there should be a lake!" Which there actually was so I do not know if she was saying it as a joke or if because there really was a lake. I finally had them take me back to the hotel so I could eat. (I am crabby when not fed).

10:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Getting lost is half the fun. I love getting lost you find and meet some of the most intersting people when you get lost. Geting lost when you have to be someplace is not fun however and does make people kind of cranky. I how ever love geting lost and like long road trips must be from all the family trips I was made to go on. LOL But hay I did get to see most of the wonder United States.

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home