Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Don't let the kids get broken




Saying for the day: It is the parent's job to keep their children unbroken until they are adults. But some kids break anyway.

I read in a Kristi’s blog ( The Chaotic World of Kristi) about a great day she had with her children and it brought back memories of my children and the wonderful times we had. She also mentioned the possibility that one of her kids would end up in the ER with broken stuff.

That brought back to my mind four trips to the ER with my kids. There was one trip for each kid and one extra. ( My wife says that Pennie broke some other things but I don‘t remember those).

The first was with my daughter Pennie. She was about three and running across the lawn of the house next door. They were putting a new roof on the house and she tripped over a board. She put her arm down to catch herself and it broke. The break was not obvious but when she wouldn’t stop crying we took her to the ER. Sure enough the arm was broken. She spent most of the summer in a cast . That was really rough for her because we went to Yoggi Bear park and the cast really slowed her down and put a crimp in the swimming (though we wrapped it with plastic wrap so she could sit in the pool).

The next was my son Peter. This time we as parents were blameless. This time the school broke it. He was in gym class (sadism 103). He was wrestling and a boy kicked him in the arm as he had his weight on it and it broke. The coach wouldn’t listen to him. He told the kid he was faking. So Peter set his own arm and when class was over went to the office and called home. Our trip to the ER gave us an x-ray that showed Peter was right. He spent a good part of that fall in a cast. Just shows you what a good education can do for you. We told the school if they let my son Patrick wrestle and broke his arm they get to pay for it. They didn’t let Pat wrestle.

Finally in the arm department comes Patrick who thought he could fly and did, sort of. He jumped from the top of the swing set and was supposed to land in a pile of leaves but he flew over the leaf pile and landed on his arm which snapped. I mean it broke. It looked like the bow on a bow and arrow. We took him to the ER and told the nurse he had a broken arm. She said he doesn’t have a broken arm until the doctor says he has a broken arm. I know there is hospital procedure but some things are obvious. When the doctor finally arrived he put the arm in a cast and it was Pat’s turn to be miserable.

The last visit came with Peter. We talked him out of playing football because we figured it was too dangerous for him and we didn’t want anymore broken bones. We took all three kids to the quarter final football game in Escanaba. During the half he was playing keep away with somebody’s hat when a rather heavy girl stepped on his foot. By the end of the game it had swelled up like a balloon so we ended up in the ER. They were so breakable you couldn’t even take them to a football game without the risk of injury. He spent a couple of weeks on crutches .

At the time these were horrible moments but looking back on them they weren't so bad. We took three tree climbing, bicycle riding, highly active kids and got them through to adulthood pretty much in one piece.

@@@
9050 spins without a prize. Old Hapless doesn't have a clue as to how to win at IWON.com. He has tried spinning early in the morning, at noon, and late at night. He has tried spinning all fifty spins one after the other. He has tried waiting after each spin. He can't think of anything else to do. He just can't win on that slot machine. Now winning must be possible because this is run by CBS and they wouldn't run a fake machine with prizes they never give away. So he just has to have no luck at all. But he will keep spinning.
Well Uncle Wiggly lovers if Old Hapless doesn't win a prize causing a rift in interdimensional space thus throwing him into a different world. We will be back tomorrow with another chapter of "As the World Spins"
***

I ate the last Easter egg this morning. Rejoice with me. I don't have to face another day and another colored hard boiled egg. Now I can start trying to get my cholesterol back down. I have added another link to my links. "Show Them Through Me" has a wonderful set of links to openly Christian blogs that I spent part of the morning looking at. Betty went to Tops and came home very upset. So upset she ate ( this after attending a weight loss group). In the afternoon we put the first building on the outside layout but not in the town. We started getting the ground ready for Pigeon Falls. Tomorrow we may check the tracks which look to be in good shape. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you were unlucky there. Thankfully we somehow got away with it with my son.

When he was about two, he once fell from the top of a steep flight of stairs in a house, hit the ground at the bottom, rolled and landed on his feet.

All that was missing was a bow to the audience (and a defibrilator for me as I pulled my heart back up from my boots!).

5:31 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

Oh poor Peter, not only did he get hurt but then he had to deal with his teacher...i have seen this often @ schools and it's a sore point for me. I wish all adults would follow the 'benefit of the doubt rule'. Good thing you raise him good and he knew how to take care of things. Patrick's accident sounds like my 11 yr old when he was much smaller, jumped from a high loft bed as he decided he could fly like in 'Toy Story' and ended (thankfully) on his older brother breaking his eye glasses and brusing him bad. Monkey was perfectly alright though :) . It's hard to imagine childhood without accidents but it does get hard for parents i think.

Hope you are well and thank you for your wonderful advice regarding Sandy. Of course you are right. Read you tomorrow.

7:06 AM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

It doesn't seem that bad. Smiles doesn't show it. Thanks for dropping by.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I will enjoy showing the pictures to the kids. I am so happy there are no more colored eggs to eat. I wonder what you will have tomorrow instead?

8:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just some points of fact. LOL Peter did play football and I did have to wrestle in gym class. I also had to box that was not fun. Of course they did not set my arm correctly and my hand does turn correctly now not worth getting rebroken Lets see I have Alex taking a dive in his walker little head bang there. Caleb taking a dive down the stairs and getting a big cut over one eye and needed stitches. Alex did also break his wrist but not badly I was not there for that I think he fell off the monkey bars. Then the end all Caleb got shot by a BB gun he stuck his hand in front of the gun just as the triger was pulled. The bb got stuck in a joint and had to get surgery to have it removed. Hmm Elijah is doing pretty well lol

Hopefully thats going to be it.

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, what a flood of memories this topic brings! ... My four kids were so active, and living out in the country had lots of ways to need a doctor.

How come most of these injuries/problems happened when the doctor's office was closed?

YOUR JOURNAL: Keep it up!
THE BRIGHT SIDE OF YOUR BEING PHYSICALLY SLOWED DOWN ... YOUR HAVING TIME TO COMMUNICATE ON THE WEB (& ELSEWHERE).

9:49 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

Ive been though broken bones, stitches....but one Sunday we were in Church and Ashley was in the pew in front of me sitting with a friend...she passed out while we were standing up singing! I saw her go down...I screamed..everyone quit singing..what a mess it was....lol..thank goodness she was fine...we took her to the hosp and never did find out why she passed out other than she had an ear infection and that could have been it.

10:10 AM  
Blogger kristi said...

I have got to agree with loisontheweb, why is it that kids injurys and illnesses happen when the doctors are closed.
However I am starting to think that injuries give us character. That is what makes us who we are, and kids are almost indestructable!!!

10:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, the memories! I broke a clavicle when I was 3 (tripped my older sister during a game of "Tag") and my nose was SMASHED when I was 5 (a memorable family baseball game gone VERY bad).

7 fractures, 2 dislocations, 2 concussions, 7 surgeries, and numerous lesser injuries later, I'm still here!

Go figure!

12:19 PM  
Blogger Penelda said...

Well I have to add some more injuries. Broken collar bone from being hit by a helmet while at a football game. Chipped elbow from slipping on the ice. Broken thumb from trying to ride Peter's bike with no one knowing, Broken left leg with blog clot from basketball camp. Broken leg and tail bone as an adult falling of horse. Broken collar bone from falling off a horse as a child. Most recently a surgery for carpal tunnel.
I am still alive.

Pennie

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home