Saturday, September 06, 2008

Politics as Usual

Link of the Day
The Last Ditch

Saying for the Day:

Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo. ~H.G. Wells

Picture of the Day:
Doors a Meme by Jientje

Some
of the
Doors
on
my
train
layout



Click on
Picture for
Larger View






























The Days Wrap UP
I was going to spend a day on the computer but after I blogged and visited some of the blogs that had door pictures things changed. Betty said I should go out to lunch with her and Pennie. It seemed they were meeting Pennie's colleague . Then they were going to shop briefly in two stores and come right home. So I went. The meal went well.Pennie and her colleague talked work but that was okay. Then at 12:30 we went to the first of the two stores. At 2:00 we finally left. I was almost out of oxygen. The next store I was told would take about five minutes. Well as I rode past the erector set for the seventeenth time I knew that wasn't happening. We got home around four o'clock. Never trust two women to shop for a short time even when they have a small list. Then I visited my links. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
******************************************
Politics as Usual
In my relentless blog reading looking for the daily link I end up reading a lot of political blogs. You can’t escape them because there are lots out there. Blogs of the left and right peopled by true believers.
I came across a blog like that yesterday. It began
“In principle, I agree with Barack Obama about Bristol Palin's pregnancy being none of anybody's business. “
Right leave the poor girl alone.
But she didn’t. She went on.
“But on another level they are my business, because they are a reflection of how well the social policies that the Republican Party want to impose on the rest of us work. “
It was okay for her to use the plight of the governor’s daughter because she was using it for a good cause namely attacking the evil Republican party.
She went on with truths, half-truths, and unprovable assumptions all woven together. With the poor girl at the center .
She got the usual pat on the back comments from true believers like herself which must have made her feel good.
One fellow dared to challenge her perfection and she put him in his place.
I felt as sick as I did several months ago when the right was using Mrs. Obama and Obama’s Pastor as a way of attacking Obama. They too used truths, half-truths, and unprovable assumptions.
I guess it’s stock in trade for the righteous true believers on both sides. They don’t care who they hurt nor do they really care about truth because they are after evil. They need to protect the country.
They don’t care who they hurt because it’s for a good cause.
I didn’t leave a comment. There is no use. Right or left true believers know they are correct and it does no good to argue with them.
But it does make me sad.
It’s the high price we pay for freedom of speech.
But it is worth it. In the end it really is worth it.

News from Pigeon Falls
The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. Nancy asked Petrovich why a man with his credentials had moved to Pigeon Falls. Much to her surprise he gave her a straight answer.
“ I came because I believed and still believe that Pigeon Falls is the city of the birds in the driblets and I wanted to watch them come true”. He said.” Some day I will write a book and show how the Great Seer was able to predict the future of Pigeon Falls.”.
Nancy thought that that was a more than reasonable explanation.
With one success behind her she decided to ask Neil why he had come to Pigeon Falls and again to her surprise got a straight answer.
“ I always wanted to grow grapes and make wine and I saved up money for it. The good news for me was that land here was cheap and ready to be planted. I had developed my own wine grapes that would grow here and global warming has given me a longer growing season. This is just perfect for me.” He answered.
With those two behind her Nancy decided to ask Mrs. Trumble the same question when she came to coffee.
Tommy UK’s Mary Maxim discs came this morning. He ends to spend most of the week end looking at them. He is hoping it isn’t Mrs. Trumble.
What will Tommy UK discover? Was Petrovich telling the truth? Can you really raise grapes in Pigeon Falls? What will Mrs. Trumble tell Nancy? And of course is Tommy UK really the undertaker’s kid. More tomorrow in News from Pigeon Falls.

15 Comments:

Blogger Melli said...

I LOVE your last doors! What a GREAT way for you to wind up this project!

I so agree with you about the TB's when it comes to politics (or anything really)... it does no good to comment or try to discuss, because they are sO positive they are right that there is no room for ... learning. My one sister is like that... I don't discuss politics with her. I really TRY to steer clear of it with ANYone! LOL!

Why do things always get to a pivotal point in Pigeon Falls JUST when I'm going away and MIGHT not be able to keep up!? This little down is going to be the death of me!

Well - I'm driving IN to Ocean City this morning - one hop ahead of the EYE of the tropical storm! You may start praying for me NOW! Thank you!!!

By the way - I love the shot of Betty (and one of the boys) playin' golf! Looks like she was having fun!!!

6:23 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

You really got to the heart of the matter about people who are willing to exaggerate truths and falsities and half truths and half lies. Gag. But better than repression.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

I bet Petrovich has a "rubber neck" when he sees an accident on the highway too.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Gattina said...

That's a lot of doors ! But still I don't have a door overdose yet, lol !
American politics are hard to understand for Europeans, there is too much private stuff and religion involved and each party digs out the worst things of the past. What has this all to do with politics ? We have a homosexual minister everybody knows it and nobody cares ! We also have one who divorced already 4 times and that too hasn't anything to do with politics. I mean it is not the private life of somebody which counts but the ability to govern a country !

6:40 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

You have wonderful doors for the last day of the challenge! Just about to put mine up now.

6:45 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

Gattina makes a good point. What if the person couldn't hold his/her marriage together because he/she spent so much time doing good government work?

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is worth it as hard as it is. And yes it's hard to stray from the political blogs right now, it's addicting.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Russell said...

Interesting doors! Sooo much work goes into a model railroad. I know since I used to have an HO scale layout for several years. What scale is yours?

I always enjoy your Pigeon Falls writings! Most interesting and creative!! Excellent really...!

Thanks for taking the time to share this with us.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo."

Gosh, yes. It's really sad to see people stooping to their lowest common denominator, all in the name of "creating a better country"? When the dust has settled, will they look at themselves in the bathroom mirror and feel any shame? I hope so.

I love the doors! You must have a wonderful train set there. I would like to see more of it.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Jientje said...

Sorry, I don't do politics, and I'm a little late for the pigeons to fall ( so to speak) but I reaaly do love the doors Dr John!
By the way what are they made of?
Chocolate?

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great doors Dr John. You did a wonderful job of making this project uniquely your own!

2:27 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

It is kind of like those who say they are Christian but then spend all their time judging others...makes me sad, too. Can't we all be happy???? I realized I was one of those political blogs!!!! Sorry about that...I will make it my mission for my next blog to not be about politics! Nice doors by the way.

3:14 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

You know you have to multiply everything a woman says by two and divide everything a man says by ten or in the case of a fish story 100.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

I'm surprised you didn't need that breathing treatment on the 10th pass past the erector sets! Just wanted to tell you I love your new ID pic! :)

6:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

http://www.thailandblooms.com
Send gifts to India, Online delivery of flowers to India, gift to India, chocolates, cakes, watches, teddy, sweets, fresh fruits, dry fruits.Anniversary, birthday, wedding gifts, cakes to Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi, Pune, Hyderabad, Kerala, Mumbai, Mithai Same day delivery to India, Gift Shop.

4:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home