Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Half Truths

Saying for the Day:

Truth is after all a moving target
Hairs to split,
And pieces that don't fit
How can anybody be enlightened?
Truth is after all so poorly lit.
~Neil Peart, Turn the Page

Picture of the Day:
I Was Born2Cree8's Bridges

The Days Wrap UP
This is a bridge near Norway, Michigan.
Robert Maki said if Aili could do it he could to so he used this week's ten words from the "Views from Raven's Nest". They are in red.In the morning we cut up the two by fours then the boys and I went to the basement and created two new platforms. we pulled all the track and fitted thewm in only to discover one was just too big. But Alex , my engineer, decided we could elevate it and create a tunnel and it looks like that will work.
In the afternoon we went to see " Dark Knight" . That was a mistake. Then we went to eat at Country Buffet. Coming home I visited all my links and left short comments on many of them. I am spending so much time with the boys I have very little time for the computer.
Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
***********************************************
Half Truths
Truth is hard to determine in life and on the internet even when you try.
For my internet facts I have a source that I consider fairly reliable. But I choose it because it lists a source where I can check out the fact.
On Sunday the fact that “ Finland banned Donald Duck because he didn’t have pants” seemed perfect for my use. So I checked the source which was an American Newspaper. There I found the headline “ Finns Ban Pantless Duck” and an article about how a man running for Parliament was in trouble because he had lead Finland’s ban on Donald Duck for not having pants. That was enough for me. The truth seemed verified and I went with it.
But in the comments on the blog Juliana said it was a myth. So I decided to check it out in a different way. I Blingoed “Donald Duck Banned in Finland” and that’s when I discovered the true story.
Half truths are the hardest things to spot.
In this case the truth was that at a meeting held in Helsinki regarding youth affairs a candidate for Finland's liberal party, Markku Holopainen, proposed that the country save money and promote fitness by replacing the Donald Duck comics it was providing to youth with sports magazines, which were cheaper at the time. His suggestion was followed. So Donald was banned for financial not clothing reasons.
Now what did I learn. I learned two things:
1. Truth is hard to verify.
2. The information is there if you search for it.
Isn’t the internet wonderful?

News from Pigeon Falls
-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal.
Melvin Jamson won the Potato Farmer of the Year again. This is the fourth year in a row. He is one great farmer.
Robert Maki gave his Liar’s Club story yesterday and here it is:
You all know me. I have a farm out on the edge of town . I grow potatoes. Every year I try for the Potato Farmer of the Year designation and every year I lose. This year I got desperate so I tried something I promised myself I would never try. I called for the Great Turtle. Now the Great Turtle has served my family for years but I always wanted to do things on my own but sometimes one needs a little help.
Let me tell you about the Great Turtle. He is not like any turtle you have ever seen. He showed up on a pogo stick with a surge protector on his back. I asked why and he said it was to ward off the pneumonia caused by the ravages of time. That seemed like a reasonable answer to me so I didn’t even ask why he was holding the ant farm. One thing I know is that he is psychic. He told me what was in the tin box in my wall safe. Even my wife didn’t know that. He is very old he was with Napoleon at Waterloo. But Napoleon was too proud to ask for help.
So I called him. I told him I wanted to win the Potato Farmer of the year award. But he said Melivin Jamson had already asked for that. It seems he also helps the Jamson family.
How unfair is that. All these years Melvin has been defeating me not because of his potatoes but because of the Great Turtle. How crooked is that. He should really be disqualified. It isn’t fair.
But the Great Turtle said I should ask for something else. So I asked for my son Tom to win the potato sculpturing contest and he did. He made that beautiful potato turtle. You remember. It was on a pogo stick. My son is so talented.
Then the Great Turtle left and reminded me to call earlier next year before Marvin and I will.
Now I have two things to show you this story is true. The Great Turtle left me the ant farm and I have it here. I also have the turtle potato carved by son with just a little magic help.
Robert got a 9.6. That gives us a three way tie with only two more stories to go.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Dragonstar said...

Finding the truth can be fraught with difficulty!

Finding good liars seems to be a lot easier in Pigeon Falls!

3:46 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Sculpting a turtle out of a potato is one thing, but sculpting it on a pogo stick (without breaking) is quite another.

I give it a 9.8-- only because the Great Turtle is a native american thing and Pigeon Falls seems to be full of just Finns.

5:22 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

I also believe that the Bible is the True Word of God. I'm not as confident about the people who interpret it!

6:18 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I'm told the Bible is the Truth and The Way! Was there anything in the Bible about Donald Duck or cartoons needing to wear pants? I know there's financial stuff in there... I'm just sayin'...

Hmmm.... I have a book about a great turtle... but I don't think it's the same one! I'm thinking SOMEbody in Pigeon Falls needs to join the Saturday Wordzzle thing!!! I think Robert's story is great! What if we end in a 5 way tie??? Wow... these writers are going to be so busy!

6:50 AM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

SAY HI TO MY COUSINS FOR ME.
I NEED TO CLEAN MY ROOM FIRST BEFORE WE COME DOWN THOUGH. s WE WILL SEE HOW IT GOES.

TCOB

10:04 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

another cute bridge in a great setting and another excellent story!

and i agree about truths and half-truths... but there's a thin line between them

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The truth will set you free...

and nice bridge by the way.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I read somewhere once that some Disney Characters were banned somewhere for not wearing pants. So if this is true, then you were not wrong, somewhere in the World Donald was banned for not having pants.

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bridge is wonderful.

Half-truths are half lies ... Gram said they'd still get my mouth washed out with soap. You need Gram to help you. She was an excellent lie detector.

10:22 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Well the media does not give the truth, for often that is not interesting enough. Even double checking doesn't always help because they tend to copy from each other and just change a word here or there, sometimes not even that.

1:00 AM  
Blogger Minkydo said...

That bridge photo looks almost like it would make a great painting. Nicely done!

1:58 AM  
Blogger Carver said...

I love that little bridge, it's so peaceful.

4:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a breath taking photo, Dr. J. It is so peaceful with the water falls, trees, grass, stream... and that fabulous little bridge. I would love to be there on horseback, or even on foot. Thanks for sharing this with us.

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home