Monday, August 25, 2008

Taking Stock

Link of the Day
Pilot Mom


Saying for the Day:
Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day. ~Author Unknown

Picture of the Day:
I Was Born2Cree8's Bridges


The Days Wrap UP
A little railroad bridge from an outdoor train lay out Betty and I visited. Spent the morning watching the grandchildren build roller coaster kingdoms on my computer and Betty's Computer. In the afternoon we went to the basement and Alex and I finished the outside wood work for the layout. Alex did the sawing. Then Betty went back to plastering and Alex and I looked for bridge pictures . We went through stacks of pictures with very little luck. The other two boys kept on running their big amusment parks. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
***********************************************
Taking Stock
Almost a year and a half ago we moved from Crystal Falls to Neenah. I found this meme which ,with a little tweaking . Lets me share some feelings from the move.

Count Down
Ten things I am thankful for :

My new home
Family close by
St. Mark’s
My new lung doctor
Maggie ( the dog)
Our Roses
New Computer and high speed internet
A new O scale layout in the basement
My mobility scooter
So many stores within a mile of the house

Nine foods I am enjoying:

really good ice cream!
fresh strawberries
Coke Zero
Good homemade bread
Activia
Wide variety of hamburgers
Corn on the Cob
Fresh Fruit
Roundy’s raspberry jam!

Eight acts of kindness from others:

Help in unloading trucks by St. Mark’s
My sister and her husband bringing us Maggie
Kind comments from internet friends
Hugs and kisses from the grand children
Pennie driving us around on weekends
People who hold doors for me when I’m using the walker
Janvangogh’s invitation to a local art show
All the work done by my two sons

Seven things or people I miss:

My garden railroad
The walk in bathtub ( better than this one)
United Lutheran
The pulpit
Fob’s
Dr. Smith
My Sister Dawn and Husband

Six people I have met here:

Pastor Steve
Pastor Joel
Pete the handyman
Carol Parker ( from the Church)
My Sister Chris’s new husband, Tim
My new Doctor ( Dr. Goldshlack)

Five things I wonder:

Will I live to see the grandkids graduate?
Will I have something to blog about tomorrow?
Who will be the next president of the USA?
Will I ever get a chance to visit United?
Will we ever finish the basement layout?

Four things we need to purchase:

New pair of pants
New pair of shoes
A better wireless USB connector for my computer ( One that doesn’t lose the net)
A Lionel O scale Christmas train

Three things I have learned here so far

Having lots of places to shop is good.
There are lots of kind people in the world
I have the greatest children in the world.

Two foods I miss

Pasties
Nila’s custard pie

One thing I most look forward to:
Going to Finland ! ( I can look forward to it even if I never get to go)

News from Pigeon Falls
-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal.
Tommy UK was complaining to Tammy about how hard it was to get information about Mrs. Trumble when suddenly she said “ She’s your good friend why don’t you just ask her? After all you did do the rabbit thing together.
Tommy UK responded “ I don’t know how to ask her. I can’t say ’ excuse me I’m nosey so tell me about your life before you came to Pigeon Falls. ‘ or ‘ I know your only 42 so why have you pretended to be older?’ or ’ Did you murder somebody and are hiding here?’ I just can’t think of a way to ask her that won’t ruin our friendship.”
Tammy replied “ There has to be some way you could ask. Couldn’t you just bring it up in a normal conversation? Why not talk about why somebody else came to Pigeon Falls and give her the opportunity to tell you her story. It’s possible she wants to tell you.”
Tommy UK thought for a minute and then said “ If I’m lucky my uncle will get some information and I won’t have to ask her.”
Pigeon Falls month is almost over. There are just a few things left. The potato farmer of the year is yet to be named, five more people have to do their Liar’s Club thing, and the big community wide picnic is yet to be held.
It was a very good month for Pigeon Falls. They had a great talent show. The Queen contest went well and the local Queen is now entered into the UP Queen contest. There were lots and lots of tourists despite the high price of gasoline ( of course they came in by train). The whale and the dragons cooperated and gave the tourists quite a show. The town didn’t disappear or fall asleep or blow up or get invaded by US. Troops. It was a very good month indeed.
Will Tommy UK figure out how to ask Mrs. Trumble about the missing years? Will Tammy do it instead? Will the same Potato farmer win again this year? Can anybody get a better score than Bob Alder in the Liar’s Club contest? Will Virgina Farthing become the UP Queen and go on to become Miss Ameriuca? What horrible things are yet to come to Pigeon Falls? And of course is Tommy UK really the undertaker’s kid?



14 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

I am surprised that Petrovich has not insisted on an Alex Gregnicoff Day during Pigeon Falls month. -- (Town Council probably figured no one would come) Who won the potato sculpting contest and did they sculpt a pigeon? (a little more fodder for upcoming blogging)

It was Art Lady that invited you to the art show.

4:03 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Never say never. You can be in Finland this time next year if you really want it bad enough. =O)

5:56 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I was wondering in your wondering why you weren't wondering if Tommy UK was really the undertaker's kid - because it seems to be something we all spend a lot of time wondering about. But I am convinced that he IS the undertaker's kid - because if he was the milk man's kid his name would be Tommy MMK and it's NOT - it's clearly Tommy UK!

Did they have the spelling bee yet? I never heard the results of that! I remember last year when that itty bitty little Maria-Ann Promise won the contests by spelling xerophthalmia -- and only 7 years old!!! She was something!

I also think it's AMAZING how you and I both have the GREATEST kids in the world! Small world, huh? Looks like the grands are enjoying themselves at your house! Enjoy them back!

6:45 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

Your bridge is absolutely great! Must be the best of the day!

8:50 AM  
Blogger Lanny said...

Amen, Amen Amen to
"Going to Finland ! ( I can look forward to it even if I never get to go)"

I think that sometimes knowing that whole thing, looking forward to something you know you may never get to do, makes the looking forward all that much better!!!!! Even if you really never get to go, for whatever reason, even if it is to make sure that someone else gets to do what they look forward to doing.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Carletta said...

A railroad bridge for the meme! So appropriate coming from you.
Great entry!

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great bridge Dr. John. It certainly brought a smile to my face!

You know, Tommy is young so he may not realize that asking an honest, direct question will do less to harm his friendship with the mayor than sneaking around, spying on her, and digging into her privacy. Someone might want to tell him that before it is too late.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Nice picture of kids....all they ever want to do is play or go to Neenah to see Grandma and Grandpa and Aunt Pennie. Come to think of it, that is all I want to do, too....maybe sleep.

11:04 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

wow, that's a unique and pretty bridge! just love it.

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Finland thing made me laugh. I too look forward to so many things I know I'll never do!

2:19 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Hello, Dr. J! It sounds to me like the move to Neenah was a very good one for you and Betty. I hope your dream of going to Finland comes true one day.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Carver said...

I love the little railroad bridge. That's a great one. I have a ton of bridge shots but I don't have any that are that cool. I love to make up gratitude lists. Always makes me feel better.

5:55 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Once again we learn a little more about the enigmatic Dr John via a meme. I thought you did not like them.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Minkydo said...

Cute bridge and kid photo! Fun story as well.

3:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home