Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Brown County Fair

Link of the Day
Road Sage


Saying for the Day:
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. ~Winston Churchill

Picture of the Day:

Quilly's Just Reflecting

The Days Wrap UP
It was a good day. I started by doing some more dragon reflection pictures. Then I had trouble with the computer. A program took control of all the windows functions. It wouldn't let me change wallpaper or do a lot of other things so I spent the morning trying to figure out how to get rid of it. I couldn't uninstall it because it controlled that function and wouldn't allow its use. Its help screen was not written for Vista so it didn't work. Finally I called the company an was piut on hold for half an hour. Finally I got a service person. He e-mailed me the url for a program that was supposed to remove it but it wouldn't load so he e-mailed another. Thus at lunch I had my computer back. In the afternoon Betty and I went to the basement. She plastered while I did a little touch up sawing ( rounded some corners) and nailing. Little by little it is coming together.
then I visited my links. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
***********************************************
My Time at the Fair


  • Sunday I went to the Brown County Fair. I probably shouldn’t have gone since it was a rough breathing day. I started off with the lowest blood oxygen level in a long time. I used almost a full bottle of oxygen at Church with the stress of the Children’s sermon. In addition to that it was ninety degrees. I should have stayed at home with air conditioning and the oxygen concentrator.
    But I hadn’t been to a fair in two years and I missed going. I had gone to the UP state fair every year since I was a boy. I took my kids and grandkids there. I just love fairs. So, since it looked like it was this fair or wait another year I decided to go.
    My daughter Pennie drove us the thirty miles and my son Peter and children met us there.
    We started our tour with the poultry barn. This gave me a chance to tell my grandson about my raising pigeons and chickens when I was his age and how I entered them in the UP fair. I didn’t tell him my birds never won. Luke enjoyed the chicken barn . He really liked the baby chicks. He also liked the rabbits. I raised those as a kid as well but never entered them in the fair. But I think my grandfather status went up one point for rabbits.
    I suppose for somebody with COPD the air quality in the animal barns left something to be desired but I had my trusty oxygen bottle so it was ok.
    I rode around the fairgrounds on my three wheeled scooter. I discovered that the fairground wasn’t always level and twice I almost tipped over. That was a bit of excitement I didn’t need.
    Then came the big choice funnel cake or french fries. In the good old days I would have had both but my stomach no longer works that way so I had to make a choice. I choose french fries. You can’t beat fair french fries. Yes they are a little pricey but the flavor.
    WE were almost through and my oxygen was running low when Peter decided to go on a very fast ride with his daughter. The same ride he always went on when we went to the fair. Afterwards he confessed he was no longer young and thought he was going to die on the ride. After the ride he had trouble walking for a little while.
    By the time I got home the oxygen bottle was empty and I was wiped out. But it was worth every minute of it.
    I went to the fair hurrah!

    -The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. Tommy UK has begun to wonder about his friend Mrs. Trumble. He doesn’t think she is as old as she appears to be. He doesn’t think anybody that old could do what she did in the talent show. He knows she is very rich. He knows her parents lived in Texas and they were very rich. He knows because she used to fly down to visit them four or five times a year. They both outlived Mr. Trumble. Then her mother died of a stroke and soon after her father died as well . He just sort of pined away. That is all Tommy UK knows. Now the question is how can he find out more. Most of his usual sources are friends of Mrs. Trumble and in fact she found them for him.
    So what should Tommy UK do? He is going to ask his uncle in Iron Mountain to help. The uncle has friends in the State Police and Tommy UK hopes they don’t know Mrs. Trumble. Then he is going to try one of the internet tracing services. It will cost him a couple of months allowance but now he really wants to know.
    Tommy TW’s book is just about ready to be published and it still doesn’t have a title. Right now he is leaning toward “ A Ghost of a Murder” or “ Murder by Ghost”. Nancy is not wild about either title. But he has to pick one fairly soon.
  • Labels:

    16 Comments:

    Blogger Dragonstar said...

    You obviously had a great day at the fair. I'm so glad. Your dragon reflection is lovely.

    4:13 AM  
    Blogger Janets Planet said...

    I am confused as to why Tommy UK is wondering about Mrs Trumble. Doesnt he realize he lives in Pigeon Falls?

    I could almost smell the straw in the fair pictures.

    4:36 AM  
    Blogger Melli said...

    YAAAAAAAAAAAY for the fair! *clap clap* YAY for YOU! I was laughing my butt off reading this - cuz NO - I don't imagine that the chicken coop IS the place for a guy with COPD! But a man has to DO what a man has to DO! And as I said before - that's what I love! You don't just lie down and TAKE it - you get out there and PLAY the game anyway! LIVE LIFE! That's what it's about! God is smiling too! YAY you! AND you had DRAGONS at your fair! How cool is that! I'm betting there will be NO dragons at our fair! I might not get to our fair this year - that will be the weekend I'm coming home from the beach... hmmm.... oh! and I would have picked the funnel cake! I LOVE some funnel cake!

    By the way - your dragons look like they are having a frolicking good time today! I wonder what they are planning!

    I hope Tommy is very careful in his investigation of the mayor - I think she may have more power than any mere MAYOR ever oughta! My daughter was in a play once called Murder By Death - I liked THAT title! It was a good play too! Maybe Nancy would like In The Spirit of Murder or The Spirit of a Murder... not that it's really Nancy's choice! It IS Tommy's book after all!

    5:41 AM  
    Blogger Lori's Minute said...

    Next time I am going and Pete can stay home with the sick dog. I will have the funnel cake!

    6:10 AM  
    Blogger Lanny said...

    I am very glad you went to the fair.

    7:47 AM  
    Blogger Lanny said...

    I am in the middle of a huge asthma attack - you did it! you sent me to Road Sage and I clicked on her link for babyboomers. My sides hurt, but now I have to go exercise with my next door neighbor..... if only I can stop laughing so I can get my shoes on....

    Thank you I loved the good laugh!!!!!

    8:36 AM  
    Blogger Carver said...

    The reflected dragons are great. Sounds like a fun time at the fair even with the breathing issues.

    9:10 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love the fair too, but I hate that no matter what it's always during the biggest heatwave, makes it difficult. I'm sure your grandson loved hearing your pigeon stories and the fair.

    9:41 AM  
    Blogger juliana said...

    well done for going to the fair!
    and sounds like you all had a good time.
    cool dragon reflection, too :)

    10:01 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Good news for Tommy TW -- the publishing house will offer him several choices for a decent title, or pick one for him if he can't come up with something catchy.

    I like that you have allowed your dragons to participate in the Reflect This meme. It is always great to see them.

    10:15 AM  
    Blogger Carletta said...

    A day at the fair - always fun!
    I must say I would have had to have gotten the funnel cake - YUM!

    You have another wonderful reflection of your dragons! I do like your running theme using them in different ways. Great post for Quilly's meme.

    11:14 AM  
    Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

    Glad you had a good day at the fair, it has been a long time since I've been to the fair. It must be almost 20 years. Hope you breathing is doing better.

    A Blessed Day is wished for you and Betty.

    12:07 PM  
    Blogger tsduff said...

    Yay - you went to the fair! I'm so glad. I've had my share of funnel cake for now - so I'd chose the fries too.

    Love the chicken picture!

    Feel better.

    12:14 PM  
    Blogger jmb said...

    Sometimes you just have to go for it and it turned out just fine. Nothing like a day at the fair!

    4:46 PM  
    Blogger Mountain Mama said...

    I'm sorry about your computer problem but glad it is fixed now. That weren't no fun at all! LOL
    The Fair!!! Oh my goodness, I haven't gone in years. We used to take the kids but now they are all grown and are grandparents themselves. They took thir own kids not they are taking grandkids. Maybe next year I'll go again if my back and hips are better. A lot of walking is very painful right now. I used to love seeing the huge Clydesdales and the baby animals. Of course all the delicious food offerings are unresistable too.

    8:06 PM  
    Blogger Voegtli said...

    I am happy that you had a good day at the fair. Me, i haven't been to any fair for so many years, work locations oblige. But next year, I will go to our big state fair. And just roam around. And most probably go to the the dog section. If my wife agrees, I will get a Jack Russell.

    8:13 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home