Monday, August 18, 2008

Just for Melli

Link of the Day
Insanity Prevails


Saying for the Day:
If your vision is too narrow to see dragons you are much to be pitied . Dr. John
Picture of the Day:
Quilly's Just Reflecting
My dragon looking at his reflection in the computer tower
The Days Wrap UP :
It has been a fairly good day. I started by working on a picture for today and tomorrow's reflecting pictures. Then I worked with the fair pictures for a slide show for Wednesday. In the afternoon we went to the basement and put all the track in place in the new part of the layout and ran a train for the first time. It ran well except for a few power glitches. After that we pulled part of the track and nailed down the under structure so it is ready to plaster tomorrow. I then visited all my links and left a lot of comments. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
***********************************************
Just for Melli
Melli made me so happy with her dragon hunt that I have given up my Monday to share the results of the hunt. I may have missed one or two but I have most of them. Click on the picture for a bigger view.
****************

****************

*****************

****************

News from Pigeon Falls
-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal
Yesterday Old Timers days began. People are trying to wear clothing that looks like the clothing of one hundred years ago. Already, yesterday , you could see the great variety. Some people had clothing that was handed down from generation to generation and now comes out of the chest or the closet only for Old Timers Days.
Yesterday also there was a pulpit exchange between the Methodist and Lutheran Churches. Pastor Joan came into the Methodist Church dressed as an English lady might have dressed two hundred years ago. When it came time for the sermon she didn’t go to the pulpit but went to the middle of the aisle and began.
This is part of her sermon:
Good morning my name is Sarah Gwynne Wesley. For the first twenty three years of my life I lived in Wales in a mansion. My father was a wealthy Magistrate When I was about ten years old my father found Jesus through a Methodist revival society. A few years later I discovered the joy of giving your life to Jesus. I am told I had a lovely voice and I began to use it to sing at local revival meetings. That’s how I met Charles. He was doing a revival in our area and after the service he came to me and said he had never heard his hymns sung so beautifully. My father invited him round for tea. Then I had a chance to sing for him again. One thing lead to another and on April 8,1749 we were married. I was twenty three and he was forty but we loved each other and for both of us our lives were centered in Christ. From that time on I traveled across England with him singing at his revivals. It was a wonderful thing to see people coming to Jesus for the first time, tears streaming down their face. Some of the men had come right from the coal mine and the tears left a trail in the coal dust on their face.
I had to take some time away from revivals to bear our eight children. Poor Charles in addition to all his other problems he saw five of our children die. We didn’t have medicine then like you have now. But Jesus carried us through the rough times. And the children that survived were such a blessing. Both Charles Junior and Samuel became great organists and composers having inherited their father’s musical talent. My grandson ,, Samuel Sebastian Wesley , was one of the foremost British composers of the 19th century .
My husband Charles wrote over five thousand hymns some of which are still popular today. Two of which you have already sung this morning. “ Love Divine All Love Excelling” and “O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing”. As the Methodist revival went on you could tell who was a Methodist because they would be humming or singing one of Charles’s hymns.
When Charles died he made sure that he was buried from the Anglican Church as one more way of proclaiming that Methodism was not a new Church but a movement inside the Anglican Church.
After Charles death I continued to sing about the love of Christ. In fact at eighty years of age I had a concert and people were kind enough to say I still had a beautiful voice.
This morning I want to say to each of there is nothing greater than living your life for and with Christ.



16 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

I always find the stories of the early hymn writers fascinating.

4:34 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Way to go Melli! She really went all out and found lots of dragons.

5:41 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Goodness, that's a LOT of dragons! I love Melli's dragon hat.

7:07 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Oh my gosh! Everyone's dragons collected all in one place! It's a Dragon PARTY!!! I guess we'll be feasting on toasted marshmallows! What a great idea! *sings* PUFF, the magic dragon lived by the sea...

BEAUUUUUUTIFUL sermon Pastor Joan!!! WOW! and AMEN!!!

7:16 AM  
Blogger Gattina said...

The nicest dragon is Melli ! but your dragon collection is almost as big as my cat collection, (I only have around 400, lol)

8:22 AM  
Blogger Lanny said...

What a lovely montage of dragon.

Thank you for a terrific presentation of the Wesley's story.

May you see blessing spill all over your day.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

Great Saying for the Day, Dr John, and I love the way you've presented the dragons!
I was brought up Wesleyan, and I still sing Charles's hymns.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The dragon collage is wonderful. [claps hands]

Pastor Joan's sermon was incredible -- and much beter than the one I kept falling asleep during yesterday. After church I said to OC, "Did the visiting pastor's sermon have only one point which he kept repeating over and over?" OC looked at me in mock surprise and said, "There was a sermon today?" I asked him if he slept through it, too. He assured me that he tried very hard NOT to.

Funny thing is (we were visiting another church 30 miles from our home) the last thing our Pastor said to us Saturday evening was how much she was going to miss us in church because she appreciated looking out from the pulpit and seeing at least two lucid faces.

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My boys loved looking at all the dragons!

11:10 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

wow, great assembly of dragons!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Nice tribute to all the dragons. Beautiful sermon,

A Blessed Day is wished for you and Betty.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Carletta said...

Great reflection of the dragon for Quilly's meme!
Wonderful tribute to Melli and her dragon search.

I see from the collage you saw my dragons for the meme - I didn't know you had been by.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Amber Star said...

You do have a very nice collection of dragons to go with the ones you have now. Liked the reflection of the one dragon...does he ever get confused and think there is another dragon on the other side? Probably not. Dragons are very intelligent.

The sermon was wonderful. The Methodist Church did used to have revivals...I don't know if they still do or not. My aunt left the Methodist church to go the Episcopalian and I went to the Catholic church. If I'm not mistaken the Methodist church has changed a lot since I was a child.
Either that or I spent a lot more time with the Baptists than I thought. :)

3:14 PM  
Blogger Carver said...

That was so great the way you gathered all the dragons together. I also liked your dragon looking at its reflection.

I'm not active in any church at this point of my life but while I was reading your post I glanced up and realized I have a half dozen different hymnals on a shelf over my head, ha. My Dad was an Episcopalian minister and I love music. For some reason, I keep all these hymnals at the ready just in case I want to try to find a hymn that springs to mind.

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great 'reflection' on the Dragon Hunt. I also reflected back to that today by posting a photo of a different dragon... and it's reflection, haha.

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oopppssss... that was no supposed to be anonymous. It's from ME! I think I've spent way to much time on the computer today... sigh.

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home