Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sunday

Link of the Day
The Jungle Hut

Saying for the Day:
Poetry is plucking at the heartstrings, and making music with them. ~Dennis Gabor

Picture of the Day:
I Was Born2Cree8's Bridges

The Days Wrap UP
The bridge above is a picture taken by Betty on a childhood trip. I have no information on it.
Yesterdays true facts ended up being invalid. What my source said was true was only half true. Donal Duck was banned in Finland but not because he didn't wear pants. When the man who was responsible for the ban was running for the Finnish parliament his opponents branded him in the press as the one who banned Donal Duck because he had no pants. Foreign papers picked this up. Poor Donald was banned but the rest is wrong so the true facts game is invalid.
Went to Church this morning. The sermon was great. Afterward at coffee Jeff projected the Church web site onto the wall. This gave people a chance to see it who hadn't before . He also had my blog up for a short time> It was a good morning. In the afternoon I brought the Church web site up to date with this morning's pictures. Then I tried to find out how to remove tje background song. Discovered there was no way to remove it as the program is not working correctly but I could replace it so I replaced it with a quick click.I visited most of my links and then my grandchildren arrived. Now there is chaos. I need a breathing treatmewnt.
GBYA
***********************************************
THE GOSPEL, ACCORDING TO HAZEL

When I finished the last book I was reading my wife said here look at this. She gave me a book her friend Carol from Bible Study had given here. It was a book of poetry so I just flipped it open to sample and hit this poem. Immediately I wanted to share it with the readers of this blog. The book, however. is copyrighted. But the Carol that gave Betty the book is the author so over coffee last Sunday I got her permission to share this poem with you..

How well I know what you would say,
were I to ask, on cloudy day,
for help in dealing with the rain -
or with distress or grief or pain -
"We'll look for rainbows/' you would say,
"God's promised us a brighter day!"
Just what you'd say, I also know,
if I were feeling mighty low,
or like, in fact, I'd never mend -
You'd say, "Just hangeth in there, friend.
The Lord will guide you, have no doubt,
for that's what faith is all about."
And 1 know, too, what you would say
if I were tempted to betray
my values and behavior code -
"Of course," you'd say, "the higher road
is where I know you'd want to be" -
and then you'd share that path with me.
And I can hear what you would say
if I were tempted to display,
in conversation with a foe,
a practiced, fatal, verbal blow -
you'd say, "It's Jesus' will we seek,
and then, in love, the truth we speak."
I also know just what you'll say
whenever I must be away.
It's "God go with you; in His care
you'll be protected, anywhere."
That blessing echoes in my heart
whenever we must be apart.
And I know well what you will say
on any rather normal day
when I have challenges to meet -
you'll say, and often will repeat,
these simple words: "I'll pray for you."
How well I know you'll do it, too.'
And I know, too, what you will say,
on any ordinary day,
when I may need to feel and hear
that Jesus Christ is very near.
"You need a hug" is what you'll say,
and giving one will change the way
that I will think and act and feel -
through you, His love is much more real.
How well I know what you will say -
how I appreciate your way
of sharing lessons He has taught,
connecting me with what I've sought,
and giving, from so deep within,
the comfort of our God - with skin!

If only each of us could be like Hazel what a wonderful world it would be.

News from Pigeon Falls

-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal.
It was a very impressive parade yesterday. Mrs. Trumble looked like a Queen sitting in the fancy chair on the back of the lead truck. It was so well decorated you could hardly tell it was a truck. It looked like she was riding on a cloud. All the usual Pigeon Falls Day floats were in the parade. The Liar’s Club this year had a float with a great big mouth on it, that was different. The Pigeon Queen and runner up looked beautiful. The Liar’s Club Sixty Five Piece Band rode on the back of a pickup and added some parade music. In the middle of the parade the high school band marched. They of course were fabulous. Pigeon Falls has always had great bands. To make the parade a little longer they put the fire truck in it as well. The kids loved it when it blew the siren. The Fly Inn Float had people dressed as birds throwing out candy for the kids to fight over. There is nothing like a parade to bring out juvenile greed. One little boy knocked his younger sister down so he could get to the candy first. His mother made him give the candy he got to his sister. He was not happy. Last Lutheran had a float based on their Vacation Bible School. It had cut outs of a big bear ,a silly looking porcupine, and seven kids singing the songs from the VBS. As small town parades go it wasn’t bad.
Nancy had a weird experience after the parade. Some tourist from Idaho stopped in for a saffron bun and coffee and asked how a small town like Pigeon Falls got a movie star to lead the parade. Nancy told him that it was no movie star but the Mayor. Then the guy said “ She looked just like Mary Maximus the movie star. You remember her don’t you. She was very popular ten, fifteen, maybe twenty years ago. She was touted as the next Marilyn Monroe. She stared in “ The Tall Man Falls Far” . I saw that movie fifteen times. She was just great. Then she was in the comedy “Grandma Raises Rabbits”. I never laughed so hard in all my life. She could play any part. She was getting a million a movie back when a million was a lot of money. Then she just vanished. Poof and she was gone. There were rumors that she died of a drug overdose and the studio covered it up but I never believed them. I swear your mayor looks just like she did in “Grandma Raises Rabbits”. How odd is that?” Nancy figures the man had had a bit to much to drink.



14 Comments:

Blogger Dragonstar said...

Now that's veeeeery interesting about Mayor Trumble! Hmmmm.

4:02 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

"The Tall Man Falls Far". Arf. :-)

5:27 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Hazel is an awesome poet! I love it!

I don't think we need to know a great deal about a bridge in order to enjoy the beauty OF the bridge! I don't know anything much about ANY of the bridges near me... I will have to research if I bag a researchable bridge! I like Betty's bridge! (I'm even more interested in the castley looking church in the lower left corner...)

Soooooo... the ol' Mayor used to be a famous actress... how interesting is THAT!!! I guess fame was not at all what she was REALLY looking for in life... and it's really HARD to get away from! *sigh*

(so now I'm curious ... and I'm off to research to find out how long snails DO sleep! I'm still betting I was right!!!) LOL!

6:04 AM  
Blogger Carver said...

Great shot of the bridge even without any information.

6:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, the Mayor used to be a movie star? I wonder what Tommy UK is going to do with that?

HA! That's what you get for trusting those internet facts at face value! (Isn't that what you were trying to teach us?)

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your choice of a bridge for the challenge :)
Happy Sunday!

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the bridge, Dr. John. What bridge is it? Do you remember what you were doing when you took the photo?

See you later.

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoof! What a fun place to visit.

I like that bridge shot.

8:59 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

love the old bridge pic

9:20 AM  
Blogger Bazza said...

Good to see in this ever changing world, that you can still rely on some things, and Dr John's blog is one of them.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Rita Loca said...

Thanks for the link!

1:01 PM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

BTW, I didnt know that Zsa Zsa had a brother named Dennis.

7:02 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

I already visited Rita and she does have a great post up Imagine how delighted she is. And she sure deserves it!
Nice poem too.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Minkydo said...

Sweet pictures! Fun story.

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home